6am Arrival at Kirkwall, Orkney Isles - How long to get off the ship?

We're on a NCL Dawn British Isles cruise in October and are trying to plan our onshore adventures for Kirkwall, Orkney Isles (this will not be a tender port).   The ship is expected to arrive in port at 6am.  I know that things sometimes happen that can delay passengers being able to get off the ship at a port but assuming nothing too unusual happens, when are we likely to be able to step off the ship?  Thanks!

There will be little demand to disembark the ship at 6am, too. So, you shouldn't have to contend with lines. Be aware sea conditions can get rather rough up there, as they were for us pre-Covid on Jade, so your ship may need to reduce speed which could impact arrival time.

8 hours ago, Vagabond Knight said:

We're on a NCL Dawn British Isles cruise in October and are trying to plan our onshore adventures for Kirkwall, Orkney Isles (this will not be a tender port).   The ship is expected to arrive in port at 6am.  I know that things sometimes happen that can delay passengers being able to get off the ship at a port but assuming nothing too unusual happens, when are we likely to be able to step off the ship?  Thanks!

I would think by 6:30 at the latest.

9 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

There will be little demand to disembark the ship at 6am, too. So, you shouldn't have to contend with lines. Be aware sea conditions can get rather rough up there, as they were for us pre-Covid on Jade, so your ship may need to reduce speed which could impact arrival time.

Very little demand from me either, ha-ha!  I was thinking maybe 7:30 at the earliest.  😄

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

Unless getting picked up you will need the shuttle to town.

Not a lot will be open early.

It is an ok walk into town. About a mile

and a half. We have walked in rather than queue for the shuttle.

Just want to warn you, we just finished this cruise and Kirkwall is a tender port.  Bad weather kept us out of this port and two others.  We are still pissed about it.  We were told one tender when we booked, arrived to board and they handed us a letter that said whoops, there's actually 5 tender ports.  Bad weather kept us out of 3 of the 5 including Dublin.  I'm still making noise and complaints about this cruise.

2 hours ago, Benjellos said:

Just want to warn you, we just finished this cruise and Kirkwall is a tender port.  Bad weather kept us out of this port and two others.  We are still pissed about it.  We were told one tender when we booked, arrived to board and they handed us a letter that said whoops, there's actually 5 tender ports.  Bad weather kept us out of 3 of the 5 including Dublin.  I'm still making noise and complaints about this cruise.

It isn’t always a tender port. We have been there twice and docked both times.

It is a port where ships may tender if there are multiple ships in port.