The expedition parka !

machotspur

Mrs Machotspur & I are getting serious about our preparations for our long awaited Falklands/S.Georgia/Antarctica expedition cruise in October 23.

We have a quite basic question that I’d really value some insight from previous Antarctica/Arctic explorers please.

We note that the Parka that is now provided by Silversea includes an inner Puffa jacket.

Does this mean that we don’t need to worry about bringing an insulation layer (e.g. fleece or puffa) and only need to combine the Silversea provided Parka/Puffa with a thin base layer ?  The lowest temperature is likely to be around minus 6.

As some will know the baggage weight limit on the Santiago – Puerto Williams charter flight is only 23kg so we need to be careful with what we pack !

Thank you so much for any info you can give me.  

1 hour ago, machotspur said:

Mrs Machotspur & I are getting serious about our preparations for our long awaited Falklands/S.Georgia/Antarctica expedition cruise in October 23.

We have a quite basic question that I’d really value some insight from previous Antarctica/Arctic explorers please.

We note that the Parka that is now provided by Silversea includes an inner Puffa jacket.

Does this mean that we don’t need to worry about bringing an insulation layer (e.g. fleece or puffa) and only need to combine the Silversea provided Parka/Puffa with a thin base layer ?  The lowest temperature is likely to be around minus 6.

As some will know the baggage weight limit on the Santiago – Puerto Williams charter flight is only 23kg so we need to be careful with what we pack !

I still wear a base layer and a thinnish fleece under the parka and lining.   Better to be a bit too warm than too cold.   The 23kg limit is more than enough to pack adequately for your trip.   The parka and liner are wonderful worn together or even separately depending upon the weather conditions.  Leave in October from UK and arriving back in November means you will probably want to wear either a thin puffa or fleece cardi anyway for travel to airport etc. and you will probably want to have a lightweight jacket available for Santiago where it will be spring and could be warm or cool.  Yes the lowest temperature could be minus 6 but add to that wind chill and damp plus potentially a blizzard and you will realise why the extra layers I suggest are a good idea.  Dont forget woolly hat and neck gaiter as well as sunglasses etc. etc.   Have you organised your rubber boots, either rent from Shiptoshore or buy Muck Boots (from the internet) before you go.   You can easily get the boots into your bags stuffed with other items like gloves, socks etc. and still be within the 23 kgs.   You will have a wonderful time.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, machotspur said:

We feel your pain - that's all we are allowed on Australian flights (even all the way to Europe etc), and 8kg of hand luggage.

3 hours ago, machotspur said:

The two-layered parka sufficed for the bulk of our stops, with one base layer (thin Eddie Bauer mock turtleneck or similar). If you're just sitting on a zodiac as opposed to getting out on land and walking you would best add another layer such as a sweatshirt or a fleece or sweater under the parka. Sitting around on the water with the wind whipping around will get really cold, really fast.

There are three key points to staying under the weight limit.

1, only bring clothes that can be multi-purpose. I don't bring a dedicated fleece or a jacket for example. I'd bring a sweater that can tuck under my parka as a base layer, but is also nice enough to wear to dinner. I bring a heavy button-down shirt that could be worn to dinner but could also double as a light jacket. Pretty much all of the pants that I bring are good enough for dinner, but OK for wearing ashore, especially because they are covered by waterproof pants and don't get dirty. Remember the expedition dress is far more casual than the classic ships.

2, bring fewer shoes. They take up tons of room and weight. Wear your heaviest shoes on the plane.

3, take advantage of the free washing machines on board. They even supply the laundry soap. Just bring dryer sheets if you want. This was a godsend before we got to the magic 100-day level and earned that "free" laundry.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, machotspur said:

Edited by number one eagles fan
quoted wrong text

6 hours ago, machotspur said:

We are sailing on October 31st. Might you be on the same cruise?

We did not need fleece under our parkas. Long underwear tops plus a turtleneck for me and 

thicker shirts for my husband, that were also nice enough to wear to dinner.

One more tip for the return flights. If you want to keep your Silversea parkas, bring large plastic compression bags, the kind that you roll to get the air out not the kind that need a vacuum. They worked perfectly for us to flatten the parkas so they fit in our suitcases. This doesn't change the weight, of course, just the volume. Otherwise, you will have to carry your parkas home thru all the airports and planes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t remember ever being cold in Antarctica, and I just wore a turtleneck or t shirt and sweater under the provided parka.  And the waterproof pants also are helpful for insulation.

But I do remember almost freezing to death in Greenland on a zodiac cruise through the icebergs!

• Thanks 1

Firstly thank you so much to everyone who has shared their experiences of 'Polar Parka's'. The big draw I have from these regarding what to wear under the 'puffa lined' Parka is - 'it depends' !! 

As several have said the secret is to pack items that are multi purpose - and are suitable for layering.

8 hours ago, labrasett said:

Have you organised your rubber boots, either rent from Shiptoshore or buy Muck Boots (from the internet) before you go. 

Yes labrasett - we are renting the boots from Silversea (at a high cost IMHO). We have also decided to take Crocs with us for the walks between Cabin & Mud Room (or maybe Muck Boots) - anyone have any views on this please ?

6 hours ago, jpalbny said:

If you're just sitting on a zodiac as opposed to getting out on land and walking you would best add another layer such as a sweatshirt or a fleece or sweater under the parka. Sitting around on the water with the wind whipping around will get really cold, really fast.

1, only bring clothes that can be multi-purpose. I don't bring a dedicated fleece or a jacket for example. I'd bring a sweater that can tuck under my parka as a base layer, but is also nice enough to wear to dinner. I bring a heavy button-down shirt that could be worn to dinner but could also double as a light jacket. Pretty much all of the pants that I bring are good enough for dinner, but OK for wearing ashore, especially because they are covered by waterproof pants and don't get dirty. Remember the expedition dress is far more casual than the classic ships.

3, take advantage of the free washing machines on board. They even supply the laundry soap. Just bring dryer sheets if you want. This was a godsend before we got to the magic 100-day level and earned that "free" laundry.

The point you make about being on a zodiac for several hours v walking on land is a very good one. Several points on our itinerary are wholly zodiac based (e.g. Elephant Island) as where walking around Port Stanley is a different situation completely.

You are clearly a master at 'multi purpose garments' and have given me food for thought as to what to bring/pack. I remember some years ago in the Arctic on Silver Explorer that a combination of packing restrictions, size of cabins, and timings for evening briefings resulted at times in little discernible difference between day time 'expedition clothing' and dinner wear. This was particularly the case in Svalbard where many were on standby to drop their knives and forks and rush out on deck if they see a Polar Bear.

We are very fortunate in being in a Silver Suite, plus we are well over the 100 days mark, so it is fair to say that on this cruise we will be utilising the 'free' laundry in a very programmed way 😉 

5 hours ago, bitob said:

When we went to Antarctica we were told more people suffer from overheating than being too cold because they overdress.  Don't overdo it.

Yes bitob - I remember on an exploration cruise in the Arctic - we purchased all the gear we thought was needed - much of which is still sitting at the back of our wardrobe today - little used ! On this particular cruise the temperature at times was not much colder than in a UK early winter !  

2 hours ago, number one eagles fan said:

We are sailing on October 31st. Might you be on the same cruise?

number one eagles fan - I think you could be correct. Silver Endeavour, departing Puerto Williams on 31st October ?  If yes then maybe we need to set up a roll call ? 

2 hours ago, RachelG said:

I don’t remember ever being cold in Antarctica, and I just wore a turtleneck or t shirt and sweater under the provided parka.  And the waterproof pants also are helpful for insulation.

But I do remember almost freezing to death in Greenland on a zodiac cruise through the icebergs!

Yes RachelG  - it's all very unpredictable - and sometimes counter intuitive  - just a T shirt under the Parka in Antarctica - who'd have thought it ???

My memory may not be delivering accurate recollections but I think we may have been on the same cruise in June 2012. Silver Explorer ... Reykjavik to Longyearbyen ?

Mrs M and I packed all the gear that was recommended for that cruise and didn't wear half of it - and that was with the Mk.1 Parka ie without the Puffa liner !      

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Re: Crocs. The mud room floor is often quite wet, and it's a good idea to have slip on waterproof shoes. But the Crocs might be too heavy and bulky. You need to keep everything as light as possible for the charter flight. We purchased Birkenstock Arizona Essentials, they are "ultra lightweight". Don't take flip flops because you won't be able to wear thick socks with them.

7 hours ago, machotspur said:

Firstly thank you so much to everyone who has shared their experiences of 'Polar Parka's'. The big draw I have from these regarding what to wear under the 'puffa lined' Parka is - 'it depends' !! 

As several have said the secret is to pack items that are multi purpose - and are suitable for layering.

Yes labrasett - we are renting the boots from Silversea (at a high cost IMHO). We have also decided to take Crocs with us for the walks between Cabin & Mud Room (or maybe Muck Boots) - anyone have any views on this please ?

The point you make about being on a zodiac for several hours v walking on land is a very good one. Several points on our itinerary are wholly zodiac based (e.g. Elephant Island) as where walking around Port Stanley is a different situation completely.

You are clearly a master at 'multi purpose garments' and have given me food for thought as to what to bring/pack. I remember some years ago in the Arctic on Silver Explorer that a combination of packing restrictions, size of cabins, and timings for evening briefings resulted at times in little discernible difference between day time 'expedition clothing' and dinner wear. This was particularly the case in Svalbard where many were on standby to drop their knives and forks and rush out on deck if they see a Polar Bear.

We are very fortunate in being in a Silver Suite, plus we are well over the 100 days mark, so it is fair to say that on this cruise we will be utilising the 'free' laundry in a very programmed way 😉 

Yes bitob - I remember on an exploration cruise in the Arctic - we purchased all the gear we thought was needed - much of which is still sitting at the back of our wardrobe today - little used ! On this particular cruise the temperature at times was not much colder than in a UK early winter !  

number one eagles fan - I think you could be correct. Silver Endeavour, departing Puerto Williams on 31st October ?  If yes then maybe we need to set up a roll call ? 

Yes RachelG  - it's all very unpredictable - and sometimes counter intuitive  - just a T shirt under the Parka in Antarctica - who'd have thought it ???

My memory may not be delivering accurate recollections but I think we may have been on the same cruise in June 2012. Silver Explorer ... Reykjavik to Longyearbyen ?

Mrs M and I packed all the gear that was recommended for that cruise and didn't wear half of it - and that was with the Mk.1 Parka ie without the Puffa liner !      

Yes, we were on that cruise together.  My husband loved climbing up on Jan Mayen.  Still talks about it.

8 hours ago, alithecat said:

Re: Crocs. The mud room floor is often quite wet, and it's a good idea to have slip on waterproof shoes. But the Crocs might be too heavy and bulky. You need to keep everything as light as possible for the charter flight. We purchased Birkenstock Arizona Essentials, they are "ultra lightweight". Don't take flip flops because you won't be able to wear thick socks with them.

Crocs are not heavy but they are a bit bulky although they do offer a very good suite to mud room choice.   I am a bit floored by the frequent references to weight restrictions, my husband and I find the weight limits perfectly doable for all of our trips and we only go to "cold" places.  Multi purpose clothes are the way forward.  My husband travels in his tweed jacket because he is wedded to it so he always has a jacket for any time it might be needed and he packs a fleece zip up and a sweater, apart from that it is just the usual of several shirts, undies (including thermal leggings), socks, two pairs of trousers, swimming trunks (hot tub),  a couple of pairs of shoes plus the "warm" additions of hat, gloves, scarf and of course waterproof overtrousers plus rubber boots and he usually weighs in under 20 kgs so I get a few extra spaces in his bag as I am not quite as well disciplined as him when it comes to packing.   All easily possible on an expedition cruise.    Have a wonderful time, we shall not be travelling on Endeavour until 2025 but we are already looking forward to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, machotspur said:

Fred and I look forward to sailing with you. I believe it will be an adventure of a lifetime.

-Heather

12 hours ago, alithecat said:

there should be a Croc ban 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, number one eagles fan said:

Fred and I look forward to sailing with you. I believe it will be an adventure of a lifetime.

-Heather

Hi Heather & Fred

I've just set up this cruise on the Roll Call section. Post on there and we can meet a little more.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, number one eagles fan said:

I just checked the roll call page and it's not listed...yet. I'll keep checking. 

Really looking to chatting with you.

Heather

Hi Heather

My bad - I posted in the forum for the incorrect ship (Explorer)  Doh !!

All OK now I hope - showing under Silver Endeavour

Keith 

• Haha 1

Amazon have just delivered a new pair of Crocs to our house. The advice given on the website was spot on i.e. they come up large. So the size i've ordered is perfect with thick expedition socks and liners.

I've never been this organised - assisted by the very helpful comments on here I have everything I need delivered/ordered 3 months before departure - incredible !😀

BTW - where we are here - in the Cotswolds, England - we have a place named Croc World, just a couple of miles from where we live (a Crocodile 'reserve').  Maybe I should have gone there instead of Amazon for my expedition footwear ? 😄    

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AusMum said:

there should be a Croc ban 🙂

Nonsense they may be ugly and look cheap (they are not) but they are so comfortable and useful.   Many many medical staff (particularly operating theatre) and dentists wear them because they are so comfortable for standing all day.   I love them for when I am doing the ironing.   

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

I can see why the dress code on a ship has gone to pot.😁

Whilst the attempt at humour v serious comment has passed me by in some recent posts I would - as requested in the original post - be most interested in hearing of your experiences on Silversea expedition ships and indeed the footwear that meets your needs between Cabin & Mud Room.

Thank you so much !  

Edited by machotspur
  • Like 1