Airport to pier with NCL air...

LadyZolt

I was aware that NCL would book us a red eye, so I'm not surprised they did.  However, our flight then arrives at JFK at around 6:00 am.  What happens then?  Will Norwegian have someone ready to take us to the pier even though the ship won't be sailing until later in the afternoon?  Or do we have to hang out at the airport until a certain time?   Any experiences or helpful thoughts will be appreciated.  🙂

-Dorothy 

My experience has been that there will be an "NCL representative" near the baggage claim area.  You checkin with them and they direct you as to where to go.  In most cases, the transfers involve a large bus and they make every effort to fill it up when they can....point being, it's likely not going to be an express service.   Same deal on the return to the airport in that they fill up the bus and then they leave.... 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LadyZolt said:

JFK at around 6:00 am.  What happens then?

JFK is the farthest airport from the pier. By the time you deplane, get your bags, meet the rep, wait on the bus until full, and drive to the pier; you might not be that far off of check-in time.

Depending on when check-in starts, of course.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LadyZolt said:

I was aware that NCL would book us a red eye, so I'm not surprised they did.  However, our flight then arrives at JFK at around 6:00 am.  What happens then?  Will Norwegian have someone ready to take us to the pier even though the ship won't be sailing until later in the afternoon?  Or do we have to hang out at the airport until a certain time?   Any experiences or helpful thoughts will be appreciated.  🙂

-Dorothy 

You normally have to wait for the first buses from the ship to arrive at the airport. Then for the bus to completely fill. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jules181 said:

Just remember you need to also book transfers to the pier from NCL. 

NCL air does not include transfers to pier unless specified. 

Do a mock booking, if you select the BOGO airfare there is a line item for ground transportation added automatically.

On 7/1/2023 at 7:16 PM, FLAHAM said:

Breakfast at JFK.  Then Uber to the pier.  Much better way to begin your vacation.

No breakfast at JFK. Taxi/Uber/whatever to 47th and 11th. Breakfast at Sullivan Street Bakery. Then, wander Hell's Kitchen for a couple hours before heading to the pier to board. 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2023 at 7:16 PM, FLAHAM said:

Breakfast at JFK.  Then Uber to the pier.  Much better way to begin your vacation.

This is the way. Make sure breakfast includes a mimosa.

Edited by destar

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

No breakfast at JFK. Taxi/Uber/whatever to 47th and 11th. Breakfast at Sullivan Street Bakery. Then, wander Hell's Kitchen for a couple hours before heading to the pier to board. 

That sounds like it is close to our hotel (Ink48)!

Will need to check out this bakery😋

15 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

That sounds like it is close to our hotel (Ink48)!

Will need to check out this bakery😋

I love Ink48! Not really because of the hotel - but because of the location (and price). A hotel, under $200, in Hell's Kitchen, within walking distance of the pier and parking garages that aren't quite as expensive as the port? Sign me up! 

Sullivan St. is very close to the hotel. Yep, definitely check it out! Best ever? Nah, but it is very, very good. Much better than Starbucks! 

I think you've stayed at Ink 48 before? My memory kind of recollects this, but who knows. Anyway! We do love taking a walk along 12th Ave., looking out at the piers, Intrepid, and the quiet of the area in the evening. It's such a nice spot to just wander. Gosh, who would have imagined that sentence from pre-cruiseny4life times? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I love Ink48! Not really because of the hotel - but because of the location (and price). A hotel, under $200, in Hell's Kitchen, within walking distance of the pier and parking garages that aren't quite as expensive as the port? Sign me up! 

Sullivan St. is very close to the hotel. Yep, definitely check it out! Best ever? Nah, but it is very, very good. Much better than Starbucks! 

I think you've stayed at Ink 48 before? My memory kind of recollects this, but who knows. Anyway! We do love taking a walk along 12th Ave., looking out at the piers, Intrepid, and the quiet of the area in the evening. It's such a nice spot to just wander. Gosh, who would have imagined that sentence from pre-cruiseny4life times? 

We definitely aren't interested in Starbucks, so this bakery sounds good for our pre-cruise breakfast!   

We haven't cruised out of NY for several years and last time was a red-eye flight then straight to the pier😬  Now that we are retired, we were looking for a hotel close to pier so we can just walk over when ready to board.  Lots of searching on the Eastern departures board and decided on Ink48.  The rooftop bar sounds amazing.  Cost for our upcoming stay is over $300 for the night but the location is perfect for us.   Love your idea of a walk along 12th avenue in the evening before our cruise!

Walking over to the port on embarkation morning is a relaxing start to the cruise for us.  No worries about traffic & transportation.  We also enjoy walking to port in New Orleans and Boston (staying in Seaport area).

• Like 2