Sailing solo and want to add 2nd guest - do they reprice to current rates?

djneph

Hey Everyone,

Hope you can help me, not confident in reservations agent and hold times have been terrible, so before I call again wanted to pick your brains.

I am booked on a cruise sailing solo (final payment is a few months away and there are plenty of rooms in all categories) a friend wants to join me.  It is a regular double occupancy room (not a solo cabin), and I paid the typical solo cruise 100% surcharge (no solo cruiser discount). Also this is a non-refundable fare.   If I add a friend, do they reprice the room to current double occupancy rates, or do I keep my rate and they increase the taxes/fees to cover the second guests.

The agent didn't seem confident in the answer and was just like "make a fake booking and whatever the current price is, is what you will now pay". It might be the right answer but just want to make sure before I call back and be on hold forever. 

Thanks for your help.

4 minutes ago, djneph said:

Hey Everyone,

Hope you can help me, not confident in reservations agent and hold times have been terrible, so before I call again wanted to pick your brains.

I am booked on a cruise sailing solo (final payment is a few months away and there are plenty of rooms in all categories) a friend wants to join me.  It is a regular double occupancy room (not a solo cabin), and I paid the typical solo cruise 100% surcharge (no solo cruiser discount). Also this is a non-refundable fare.   If I add a friend, do they reprice the room to current double occupancy rates, or do I keep my rate and they increase the taxes/fees to cover the second guests.

The agent didn't seem confident in the answer and was just like "make a fake booking and whatever the current price is, is what you will now pay". It might be the right answer but just want to make sure before I call back and be on hold forever. 

Thanks for your help.

If your booking doesn’t involve with SOLO discount you can call your travel agent to add another passenger to your cruise.

You  do need to pay the 2nd passenger ports charges.

Edited by verizon

13 minutes ago, verizon said:

If your booking doesn’t involve with SOLO discount you can call your travel agent to add another passenger to your cruise.

You  do need to pay the 2nd passenger ports charges.

I often cruise alone and pay double occupancy. Sometimes I've added my sister to the booking and she just pays taxes and port charges. You can do this after final payment also.  Many times we've upgraded at no charge 

• Like 1

I believe the single supplement is 200%.  If you received any discount for cruising solo, the reservation will be repriced.  If you did not receive a discount then there is no change to price except to addd taxes and port fees.  Honestly, I have not seen a solo discount in awhile.  There were plenty when cruising restarted but those are long gone.

The agent price out adding a passenger before making any change to your reservation. 

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone, Thanks for the help.  I called Celebrity this morning and the agent quoted me the price and it went way up. The agent said that even though I paid double as a solo, when you add someone to the booking, go from solo to double, the room is repriced to current rates.  

Is this correct?  Should I try another agent? 

11 minutes ago, djneph said:

Hey everyone, Thanks for the help.  I called Celebrity this morning and the agent quoted me the price and it went way up. The agent said that even though I paid double as a solo, when you add someone to the booking, go from solo to double, the room is repriced to current rates.  

This was my experience when I did the same thing on Azamara.    Mariyn

2 hours ago, djneph said:

Not what happened to me.

Just paid taxes for 2nd person since I had already paid double

7 hours ago, djneph said:

There may have been a pricing discount on the booking originally that no longer exists.  For ex., my husband and I just booked the Alaska cruise and there was a sale on for 75% discount for the second person, which was a good deal. If we were to make a change, they'd probably have to reprice the cabin for a higher rate...??? or I could be wrong....

I recently did this exact thing, I originally booked as a solo, no solo discount. When I added a person, the entire cruise was repriced (it increased the price by a substantial sum) and I actually lost some of my original onboard credit. Not a fan of this, seems very unfair to a person who books far in advance to take advantage of pricing. Next time, I will not book as solo, I will go ahead and book a 2nd person to be named later. 

Apparently, it is a game of agent roulette after all. I called back, got another agent, ready to cancel and switch to a Carnival sailing.  The agent took his time, but got it done and the pricing was the same and it only added the additional taxes for 2nd passenger.  YAY!! 

Also, my sailing inside rooms are sold out and have been for a couple months now. I wonder if the other agents were just creating new bookings and placing me in a balcony or something. Who knows. 

Edited by djneph
  • Like 2