How strict is the dress code onboard?

RonWL

Greetings

I have what should be a simple question to answer but I realize dress code discussions are always anything but simple. We will be on Silver Dawn and would like to know where (besides our room) can we dine on the formal nights without a tie. I don't care that ties are simple to pack etc,etc I have refused wearing ties since I retired many years ago.

Good Sailing

Tom

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tunaman2011 said:

We will be on Silver Dawn and would like to know where (besides our room) can we dine on the formal nights without a tie.

I know Atlantide and La Dame require tie on formal night.  I’ll let others confirm whether SALT is also in the list.

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

I know Atlantide and La Dame require tie on formal night.  I’ll let others confirm whether SALT is also in the list.

But there is not an iota of enforcement. Jeans and sweatsuits in view in Atlantide on formal nights. I spoke to first time ss cruiser today. She was aghast 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tunaman2011 said:

Greetings

I have what should be a simple question to answer but I realize dress code discussions are always anything but simple. We will be on Silver Dawn and would like to know where (besides our room) can we dine on the formal nights without a tie. I don't care that ties are simple to pack etc,etc I have refused wearing ties since I retired many years ago.

Good Sailing

Tom

Hot rocks. La terraza. Pizza restaurant 

not a problem 

3 minutes ago, bitob said:

But there is not an iota of enforcement. Jeans and sweatsuits in view in Atlantide on formal nights. I spoke to first time ss cruiser today. She was aghast 

I know the policy however I can understand some of this as we completed an Iceland cruise in June and it was so cold during the port-intensive itinerary that the last thing most wanted to do was dress up for dinner. There were a lot of dark jeans being worn to dinner. Never sweats.

16 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

we completed an Iceland cruise in June and it was so cold during the port-intensive itinerary that the last thing most wanted to do was dress up for dinner.

I don't follow the logic of that argument. Surely the temperature onboard was the same as it would be in any other part of the world - and yes I have been to Iceland and never found it a problem "dressing up" for dinner.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, bitob said:

Welcome to the new Silversea

28 minutes ago, david63 said:

I don't follow the logic of that argument. Surely the temperature onboard was the same as it would be in any other part of the world - and yes I have been to Iceland and never found it a problem "dressing up" for dinner.

It is very difficult to get dressed when it is cold outside the ship. 

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

5 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

I have spoken to every relevant officer on board about the issue. The current dress code is unenforceable and they look like fools. Other lines like regent and explora are resort casual which is what most cruisers prefer. Younger passengers might not even own a tie!

the common sense solution imo is to go formal optional. Those who want to wear tuxes and gowns can do so. everyone else can either wear jacket or smart casual those nights (no jacket). This will not cause the sky to fall. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, david63 said:

I am not trying to make excuses - it’s similar to Alaska. I believe dress codes are relaxed on those itineraries. It’s not about the temp on the ship and it’s not a “problem” just found those itineraries to be more casual and trying to guess at why bitob was experiencing what he was.

6 minutes ago, bitob said:

I have spoken to every relevant officer on board about the issue. The current dress code is unenforceable and they look like fools. Other lines like regent and explora are resort casual which is what most cruisers prefer. Younger passengers might not even own a tie!

the common sense solution imo is to go formal optional. Those who want to wear tuxes and gowns can do so. everyone else can either wear jacket or smart casual those nights (no jacket). This will not cause the sky to fall. 

I agree with your common sense approach - seems like everyone wins.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bitob said:

Thanks for doing this investigation into the dress code.

My husband will be most happy that he doesn’t have to pack a jacket or tie.

I am waiting for the “formal” announcement/directive from Silversea corporate. 

Hope it comes soon, as in before my next cruise.

• Like 6

Just off the Spirit and the men's dress code was mostly enforced (some were sent back for missing ties or given jackets).  It was the ladies wearing flip-flops, leggings and sports-bras that was not...literally anything went!

I went to McDonalds yesterday for dinner, and they had a sign that said "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service".  I was very offended.  As a paying customer, "the customer is always right, even when he is wrong", and if I want to walk in barefoot and without a shirt on, that's my right.  It's my money, so I should be allowed to go to McDonalds with nothing other than my underwear.  I mean, I will wear underwear - I'm not a barbarian, you know...

I mean seriously, no one else should care what I wear.  After all, my dress (or lack thereof) is not part of their dining experience. Amirite??

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Thanks for doing this investigation into the dress code.

My husband will be most happy that he doesn’t have to pack a jacket or tie.

I am waiting for the “formal” announcement/directive from Silversea corporate. 

Hope it comes soon, as in before my next cruise.

My husband always complies with the suggested rules of attire when we cruise, be it on SS or elsewhere, and looks terrific when he does.  But I know he would prefer not to haul the black  "cruise suit"  he owns (that would leave more space for extra camera lenses and other tech toys he loves to bring on trips :).  Dressing up makes that evening a special occasion, however, and we both  enjoy the eye candy of looking at a room full of beautifully and/or creatively dressed up people in a tastefully decorated dining room or other venue.

However, he easily gets hot and uncomfortable, especially when the venues are not cooled well enough in warmer climates, or high protein hot foods are served.  Some people's metabolisms are simply different, i.e., some are more heat sensitive. So to avoid unaesthetically sweating up the place, he may then take his jacket off and put it on his chair.  We think it is better to sit wearing a beautiful designer shirt and tie, cool and dry, rather than have beads of sweat pouring off his forehead.  There are also no SS prohibitions on jacket-removal-when-seated so far and none of our dinner companions has been horrified  (though we have not cruised with Mr. Luxury).  That is a possible compromise for people who find a suit jacket uncomfortable (though if it's a formal night, the tie stays on).

Frankly  I doubt SS is headed for any kind of formal announcement about a change in dress code to be more like that on Regent, which we have also sailed (liked the dress code, but didn't like other things).  The latest SS website photo I see when I log on, shows the photo below -- a clear implication that to fit in at SS, men should wear jackets (this might theoretically be people in a lounge on an "informal" night).  Of course these are just models, but the photo suggests to customers that SS wants men to wear jackets.

A0215E66-554B-48C8-A8F8-8DFDB4B35298.jpeg

• Like 3

Just now, Catlover54 said:

My husband always complies with the suggested rules of attire when we cruise, be it on SS or elsewhere, and looks terrific when he does.  But I know he would prefer not to haul the black  "cruise suit"  he owns (that would leave more space for extra camera lenses and other tech toys he loves to bring on trips :).  Dressing up makes that evening a special occasion, however, and we both  enjoy the eye candy of looking at a room full of beautifully and/or creatively dressed up people in a tastefully decorated dining room or other venue.

However, he easily gets hot and uncomfortable, especially when the venues are not cooled well enough in warmer climates, or high protein hot foods are served.  Some people's metabolisms are simply different, i.e., some are more heat sensitive. So to avoid unaesthetically sweating up the place, he may then take his jacket off and put it on his chair.  We think it is better to sit wearing a beautiful designer shirt and tie, cool and dry, rather than have beads of sweat pouring off his forehead.  There are also no SS prohibitions on jacket-removal-when-seated so far and none of our dinner companions has been horrified  (though we have not cruised with Mr. Luxury).  That is a possible compromise for people who find a suit jacket uncomfortable (though if it's a formal night, the tie stays on).

Frankly  I doubt SS is headed for any kind of formal announcement about a change in dress code to be more like that on Regent, which we have also sailed (liked the dress code, but didn't like other things).  The latest SS website photo I see when I log on, shows the photo below -- a clear implication that to fit in at SS, men should wear jackets (this might theoretically be people in a lounge on an "informal" night).  Of course these are just models, but the photo suggests to customers that SS wants men to wear jackets.

A0215E66-554B-48C8-A8F8-8DFDB4B35298.jpeg

But what is happening on board is nothing like the photo. These folks are not on this cruise 

• Like 2

On 7/20/2023 at 3:38 PM, bitob said:

I really don’t care what others wear. But I was asked to comment on whether the dress code was enforced. The answer is no. 

are most people compliant?  Yes

Are most guests dressed in formal attire?  Tuxes and gowns?  No. 

Thanks for this straightforward answer.  It is helpful to know what is actually happening on board to help make a decision as to whether or not a given cruise is a good choice.

8 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

In my experience this is the most casual night because many pax have traveled long distances and haven’t unpacked or are exhausted.

let us know if it continues…

is your cruise considered an expedition?

No

In my experience the most casual night is the final night when everyone is packed up