Should we have a new worry---faulty fire panels

ontheweb

Link requires subscription.  My take on this kind of thing is very fatalistic.  I use common sense to control my 'travel environment'.  Over-thinking how clean things are,  how much the captain's had to drink, how safe things are, how many ways there are to get hurt or killed ... my travel would be much less enjoyable if I ever thought about it.  So I don't.

Edited by jsn55
added thought
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Luxury cruise liner’s launch delayed as dozens of ships face potential safety hazard | Financial Times (ft.com)

And note the fire panels that no longer meet certification are already on other ships.

That site is behind a paywall. I would not worry .The faulty panels will be replaced. The the panels already installed are certified for five years. They started using them in 2020.  

Well, hopefully they'll get this all tied up without too much discombubulation.  I was very happy to read that Civitavecchia has moved to a few miles north of Roma.  It won't take an hour to get into town for the sightseeing.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

That site is behind a paywall. I would not worry .The faulty panels will be replaced. The the panels already installed are certified for five years. They started using them in 2020.  

But according to this article, they have lost their certification.

Faulty Safety Materials May Put Dozens of Cruise Ships at Risk (cruisehive.com)

13 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

But according to this article, they have lost their certification.

Faulty Safety Materials May Put Dozens of Cruise Ships at Risk (cruisehive.com)

CruiseHives did not do any original reporting. They are using the Financial Times article. The article says the certification is for five years. Thus ships not yet delivered can’t be because of lack of certification. It is premature to say how this will affect ships that have been in service nor is it known what ships have the panels installed. Why scare people before the facts are known? Also because a ship was delivered in 2020 or later does not mean they have those panels. 

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

CruiseHives did not do any original reporting. They are using the Financial Times article. The article says the certification is for five years. Thus ships not yet delivered can’t be because of lack of certification. It is premature to say how this will affect ships that have been in service nor is it known what ships have the panels installed. Why scare people before the facts are known? Also because a ship was delivered in 2020 or later does not mean they have those panels. 

Actually, there is a very good comment in the following thread on the Holland America boards from someone who has had dealings with this type of issue. IIRC, it is #7.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Actually, there is a very good comment in the following thread on the Holland America boards from someone who has had dealings with this type of issue. IIRC, it is #7.

Post #7 falls in line with what I have posted. No reason to spread fear and uncertainty.