Live EPIC Mediterannean 11-Day Cruise from Marseille, France October 2, 2023-with pics!

graphicguy

4 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Yeah....France, and particularly CDG are notorious for pick pockets.  Sadly, I remember the guy who did it.  He had to be another passenger as I was waiting in line to board when it happened.    

I'm usually pretty cognizant about my surroundings and who's around me.  This guy was in back of me.  He acted like someone behind him, shoved their way into me.  Then, he mentioned to no one in general, that he had to leave the line.  

I didn't think anything about it until I had boarded and we were taxying for take off.  I reached in my back pocket and my wallet was gone.  I looked up and down the aisles of the plane when were were able to move around, and I didn't see him, or maybe didn't recognize him.

I only had about $300 in my wallet.  But, my driver's license was in it, as well as 3 or 4 credit cards and my ATM card.

When I landed home, I started getting "pings" about charges made all over the place.  I wasn't responsible, but it was a PITA to replace everything and notify my bank.

Lesson learned.  I do have cash, but not on me and in a place no one would think of looking.  Plus, as mentioned, I travel with only carry ons, so my luggage is with me at all times.

Just picturing myself with a scarf flowing behind me as I traverse CDG.  Have to admit, I think I could pull it off.  What others would think is an entirely different story.  LOL!

Avoiding PITA is paramount with me.  Don't carry a wallet in a back pocket anywhere when travelling.  Don't wear a fanny pack on your fanny.  If someone creates a 'disturbance' anywhere, anytime, step aside, don't worry about the other guy, think of yourself first.  Use an under-garment belt or pouch.  Pay attention, avoiding PITA when travelling is not difficult, just annoying.  But worth it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jsn55 said:

Avoiding PITA is paramount with me.  Don't carry a wallet in a back pocket anywhere when travelling.  Don't wear a fanny pack on your fanny.  If someone creates a 'disturbance' anywhere, anytime, step aside, don't worry about the other guy, think of yourself first.  Use an under-garment belt or pouch.  Pay attention, avoiding PITA when travelling is not difficult, just annoying.  But worth it.

We think alike.  No Fanny Packs.  Passport card, credit card and a little cash in a wallet attached to my phone, which is ALWAYS in my FRONT pocket.

The rest, Passport, drivers license, cash, etc stashed in a very unlikely place.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Yeah....France, and particularly CDG are notorious for pick pockets.  Sadly, I remember the guy who did it.  He had to be another passenger as I was waiting in line to board when it happened.    

I'm usually pretty cognizant about my surroundings and who's around me.  This guy was in back of me.  He acted like someone behind him, shoved their way into me.  Then, he mentioned to no one in general, that he had to leave the line.  

I didn't think anything about it until I had boarded and we were taxying for take off.  I reached in my back pocket and my wallet was gone.  I looked up and down the aisles of the plane when were were able to move around, and I didn't see him, or maybe didn't recognize him.

I only had about $300 in my wallet.  But, my driver's license was in it, as well as 3 or 4 credit cards and my ATM card.

When I landed home, I started getting "pings" about charges made all over the place.  I wasn't responsible, but it was a PITA to replace everything and notify my bank.

Lesson learned.  I do have cash, but not on me and in a place no one would think of looking.  Plus, as mentioned, I travel with only carry ons, so my luggage is with me at all times.

Just picturing myself with a scarf flowing behind me as I traverse CDG.  Have to admit, I think I could pull it off.  What others would think is an entirely different story.  LOL!

Thank you for sharing your story so that we all know to never let our guard down. Professionals can spot our vulnerabilities similar to the way predators detect their prey in the wild.

I'm thinking you should go with some Mediterranean motif for the scarf. Q aka @mking8288 will be able to provide video footage of you frolicking around CDG.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I’m leaving tonight from Canada and then tomorrow we’re arriving in France and then go take a train to Marseille and the one more night then we board the ship! So I was wondering where would it be that we can meet each other in the cruise 

Edited by Highgency
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Highgency said:

I’m leaving tonight from Canada and then tomorrow we’re arriving to France and then go towards Marseille to board the ship! So I was wondering where would it be that we can meet each other in the cruise 

I’ve sent in the final count, but join us.  We can fit you in……

Looking forward to meeting you.

“This is looking to be a great group and a lot of fun.  Thanks!

So far…

-Graphicguy (1)

-biffluger (4)

-Northofu1 (2)

-Mary and Barbara (2)

-GrammieCruising (2)

-Ticatraveler (2)

-Smokelynx (2)

-Nicole (1)

-Ted and Dolly Farmer (2)

-Dumkat01 (5)

-Peacham (3)

-Vickie, Pat, Roberta (3)

-loveysbydesign (2)

-Thomas, Stephan and Leo (3)

-JL2007 (1)

-RedgeToo (1)

-Big Moodys Fan (1)

Sebastian and Sabine (2)

Smiler000 (3)

NCL is hosting our…

MEET AND GREET

FRIDAY OCTOBER 6 FROM 11:00 A.M. UNTIL NOON 

IN CAGNEY’S STEAK HOUSE!

They will have crew to answer our questions!!!!  They usually provide drinks and snacks!”

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Didn't miss much. 

Let me give you the READER's DIGEST version.  

I booked a cruise on the EPIC in the Mediterranean from Marseille.  I'm flying out today to meet the ship.

There....you're all caught up.

😉

Wow, that more like a Cliff Note!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

GAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Liquid broke in the back compartment of my backpack.  Had some clothes in there.  Not enough time to let it rinse and dry out.  Pulling out a check in.  Transfer done.  Still can use back pack after it dries out.  But, time is not on my side.

I just broke all my self imposed rules………

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

GAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

Liquid broke in the back compartment of my backpack.  Had some clothes in there.  Not enough time to let it rinse and dry out.  Pulling out a check in.  Transfer done.  Still can use back pack after it dries out.  But, time is not on my side.

You got this. It's going to be an amazing cruise and a memorable visit in Italy with family.

• Thanks 1

So far…

-Graphicguy (1)

-biffluger (4)

-Northofu1 (2)

-Mary and Barbara (2)

-GrammieCruising (2)

-Ticatraveler (2)

-Smokelynx (2)

-Nicole (1)

-Dumkat01 (5)

-Peacham (3)

-loveysbydesign (2)

-JL2007 (1)

-RedgeToo (1)

-Big Moodys Fan (1)

Sebastian and Sabine (2)

Smiler000 (3)

NCL is hosting our…

MEET AND GREET

IN CAGNEY’S STEAK HOUSE!

They will have crew to answer our questions!!!!  They usually provide drinks and snacks!”

Okay I don’t know if there’s an outing that day 😞

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

We think alike.  No Fanny Packs.  Passport card, credit card and a little cash in a wallet attached to my phone, which is ALWAYS in my FRONT pocket.

The rest, Passport, drivers license, cash, etc stashed in a very unlikely place.

different language Uk vs USA

fanny pack implies front in UK

But yes bum bag aka fanny pack should not contain important stuff  

• Like 1

GAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

I’m Marc-O count me in!

GAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

I’m Marc-O count me in nice, it would be nice to meet you! Sorry this is the right post!

Edited by Highgency

41 minutes ago, Highgency said:

I’m Marc-O count me in nice, it would be nice to meet you! Sorry this is the right post!

Great.  You’re in!

3 hours ago,  Highgency said: 

I’m leaving tonight from Canada and then tomorrow we’re arriving to France and then go towards Marseille to board the ship! So I was wondering where would it be that we can meet each other in the cruise 

So far…

-Graphicguy (1)

-biffluger (4)

-Northofu1 (2)

-Mary and Barbara (2)

-GrammieCruising (2)

-Ticatraveler (2)

-Smokelynx (2)

-Nicole (1)

-Dumkat01 (5)

-Peacham (3)

-loveysbydesign (2)

-JL2007 (1)

-RedgeToo (1)

-Big Moodys Fan (1)

Sebastian and Sabine (2)

Smiler000 (3)

-Marc-O (1)

NCL is hosting our…

MEET AND GREET

IN CAGNEY’S STEAK HOUSE!

1 hour ago, fabnfortysomething said:

different language Uk vs USA

fanny pack implies front in UK

But yes bum bag aka fanny pack should not contain important stuff  

If someone is going to try to pickpocket me with my wallet in my front pocket, I hope they at least kiss me first! 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

Little touches confirming little details….I like them….

Ibis Budget Marseille Vieux Port
Dear  xxxxxxxxxxxx,

Check in starts at 1PM and there is someone at reception 24/7.
In case you arrive early we have lockers at your disposal for your luggages that you can pay by coins or card.

Best regards.
Front Desk.
  • Like 3