Getting off the Norwegian Joy in NYC

cruise8218

Getting OFF the Norwegian Joy on Sunday,  August 13 in New York.    I have scheduled a driver to pick us up at 9:45 am.     Is that time reasonable or am I being too optimistic about debarkation?    Thank you!!

You should be good, we usually do early walkout and are usually off by 7:30. Once there was a custom agent shortage, got off at 10:30, after lining up at 6:30, called the company when we realized there was no way we’d be off in time.

When we got off in New York last spring from the Epic it took a very long time to get off. If you do walk off and go when first called you should be OK but we were a 9:30 times and didn't get off until close to 11

If you use passports to board make sure to not cover your face when debarking. They now have facial recognition so it goes much faster. I have been one of the first off by carrying my own luggage and having priority disembarking. I was home in my house by 9:45. I also drive to the port.

Edited by knitlady037
Spelling

We’ve ended cruises in NYC many times over 20 years & all I can say is that it’s a craps shoot & can run to extremes.  One time didn’t begin getting off till 1030 even though the ship docked at 6 right on time (TSA issues) whereas on another occasion we were standing on 12th avenue at 7am looking for a taxi to Penn Station to catch a train home to NJ (new walk-off procedure).  All things being equal if you do the walk off you’ll probably be ok.  Just make sure you have a phone number that you can contact your pick up person with if untoward events delay you. 

Good luck, and I hope everything works out for you!

• Like 1

You should be good if you select the "Self-Assist" option (i.e. carry your own luggage).  We just got off the Joy this morning using that option.  We were out by 9am (and that's with a pause on the line for around 15 minutes or so).

Have a great cruise!

Peter

----

Celebrity Zenith 5/99

Norwegian Dawn 6/03

RCI Serenade of the Seas 9/03

Norwegian Gem 3/10

Norwegian Gem 8/11

Carnival Glory 8/12

Celebrity Infinity 7/15

Norwegian Joy 7/23

Edited by mccoy132

On 7/8/2023 at 4:03 PM, cruise8218 said:

Getting OFF the Norwegian Joy on Sunday,  August 13 in New York.    I have scheduled a driver to pick us up at 9:45 am.     Is that time reasonable or am I being too optimistic about debarkation?    Thank you!!

just got off joy today.

docs say we disembark 7am but we didnt get clearance till like 745am.

got on line at around 815am.

then a little after 8:30am, the line stopped to exit the ship. (self assist only. no color tags been called yet.)

there was a backup at customs, supposedly the facial recognition scanners lost network.

15min later debarking started again.

off the ship, went through customs and out of the terminal at around 915am

Edited by fstuff1

not terribly difficult, but there have been reports of cruise ship surge pricing.

for less congestion and to make it easier to find your driver, have them meet you across the street on the southeast corner of 48th street.

I was just on Joy for the July 1st sailing.  I scheduled our driver to pick us up at 10am.  Got Lime luggage tags, that's for a 9AM disembarkment.   We started our journey off the ship 9AM sharp (no matter whether they called us or not), no real issues got our luggage through customs and at the streat about 9:50am.  When the driver was just texting me that he was arriving.

• Like 1