Unlimited dining package questions (new to rccl)

First time cruiser with rccl on navigator of seas. Purchased the unlimited dining for 3 night cruise. Couple questions. 

1. how does the daily credit work and can it be used lunch port day, ie, can we use that for johnny rockets on a port day at lunch at the pool? Or can we grab a shake from johnny rockets and still use it for a specialty lunch elsewhere on a sea day?

2. will it be hard to book times?  We do have a suite so i will email our concierge our requests before boarding. Not sure if they can accommodate that before we are on? Seems like otherwise I will be scrambling when we board which doesn’t sound very relaxing. 

3. which restaurants were most worth it for you for lunch and dinner (i know this is personal preference, but still open to suggestions). 

thank you!

25 minutes ago, Mslmesq said:

First time cruiser with rccl on navigator of seas. Purchased the unlimited dining for 3 night cruise. Couple questions. 

1. how does the daily credit work and can it be used lunch port day, ie, can we use that for johnny rockets on a port day at lunch at the pool? Or can we grab a shake from johnny rockets and still use it for a specialty lunch elsewhere on a sea day?

2. will it be hard to book times?  We do have a suite so i will email our concierge our requests before boarding. Not sure if they can accommodate that before we are on? Seems like otherwise I will be scrambling when we board which doesn’t sound very relaxing. 

3. which restaurants were most worth it for you for lunch and dinner (i know this is personal preference, but still open to suggestions). 

thank you!

If the restaurant is open then the package can be used.

Book your dining at any specialty restauirant as soon as you board, if you are a bit flexible then you should not have any issues.

If you are in a full suite (GS or above) the concierge can make your reservations ahead of time.

Dining package is not valid for shakes at JR's

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

Ok this is helpful. Sounds like we can eat at johnny rockets the sea day, just no shake. And our concierge can book ahead if we email him. 

any suggestions on which restaurants to prioritize?

I had the unlimited dining package a while ago on Harmony of the Seas and ate pretty much all meals at specialty restaurants. 

What cruise are you on? If it is a "regular" cruise (i.e. one that repeats several times) you can use the Royal Caribbean app to get a better idea. If you look at the current week of your cruise (if that one is already up) you will see what times restaurants are open etc. It could of course change but I believe usually stays the same.

My favorite was Izumi (and I am not a big sushi fan to start with) so would recommend that. Otherwise, I would look at the menus (again on the app) and see what sounds best for you. I think specialty restaurants are only open on sea days for lunch? So if you want to try everything I would book whatever is available for lunch (if you have a sea day) and then work the remaining restaurants in for dinner.

3 hours ago, Mslmesq said:

Ok this is helpful. Sounds like we can eat at johnny rockets the sea day, just no shake. And our concierge can book ahead if we email him. 

Playmakers for lunch would be far superior than Johnny Rockets.  JR on Navigator is just the express JR with no seating. Navigator only has three specialty dining venues, try them all. Your UDP credit at Playmakers would be a lot of food.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mslmesq said:

Your concierge will reach out to you about a week before your cruise.  You can just reply to his or her email with your requests for dining.  They'll get it all set up before you arrive.  

As far as prioritizing restaurants. I'd do Chops and Jamies and then decide about Hooked or Izumi based on your preference for the evening meal.  I don't like sushi so that is an easy call for me but you might be different.  Also, Jamies will likely be available on Embarkation day so I'd plan for that on that day.  Maybe plan Chops for dinner that night.  

The next day is a sea day and Chops will be open for lunch. I'd have a reservation made for you on that day.  You probably won't need it.  I've been able to just walk in at lunch but it won't hurt to have the concierge book both your lunches anyways.

Your next day is a Ensenada so I'd plan for Playmakers for lunch.  They open at 12 on on day three and you have $20 credit pppd with them.  $20 will get you lots of food.  Their burgers are excellent and the their onion rings are very very good. I'd skip Johnny rockets.  I'm not a fan of their burgers.  I think Playmakers are much much better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Your concierge will reach out to you about a week before your cruise.  You can just reply to his or her email with your requests for dining.  They'll get it all set up before you arrive.  

As far as prioritizing restaurants. I'd do Chops and Jamies and then decide about Hooked or Izumi based on your preference for the evening meal.  I don't like sushi so that is an easy call for me but you might be different.  Also, Jamies will likely be available on Embarkation day so I'd plan for that on that day.  Maybe plan Chops for dinner that night.  

The next day is a sea day and Chops will be open for lunch. I'd have a reservation made for you on that day.  You probably won't need it.  I've been able to just walk in at lunch but it won't hurt to have the concierge book both your lunches anyways.

Your next day is a Ensenada so I'd plan for Playmakers for lunch.  They open at 12 on on day three and you have $20 credit pppd with them.  $20 will get you lots of food.  Their burgers are excellent and the their onion rings are very very good. I'd skip Johnny rockets.  I'm not a fan of their burgers.  I think Playmakers are much much better.

This was so helpful. Thank you!  ❤️

• Like 1

One question I need clarification on.  We have the UDP for an upcoming cruise and we are wondering how it is used at a speciality restaurant.  Let's say we go to Playmakers and we each have $20/day to use.  Does the $40 come off the total bill or is each person charged separately?  So if I buy $26 worth of food and my spouse only buys $12 worth of food are we covered, are will I be charges $4 for going over my $20 daily limit?

17 minutes ago, BBQ Bacon said:

One question I need clarification on.  We have the UDP for an upcoming cruise and we are wondering how it is used at a speciality restaurant.  Let's say we go to Playmakers and we each have $20/day to use.  Does the $40 come off the total bill or is each person charged separately?  So if I buy $26 worth of food and my spouse only buys $12 worth of food are we covered, are will I be charges $4 for going over my $20 daily limit?

Let your spouse order the extra $4 and no problem. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

Let your spouse order the extra $4 and no problem. 

Maybe I didn't ask the question properly.  The 50 wings at Playmakers is $25.  If I order this and the wife orders only $12 worth of food, do I pay the extra $5 and the wife has $8 remaining on her limit or will they deduct the $40 from the total bill?

Jamie’s, Hooked, Izumi and Chops are open for lunch on sea days. I think Jamie’s or Hooked was open on embarkation when we were on in January.

Book all your reservations as soon as you board or close enough to get the ships Wi-Fi.

You get $20 per person per day at Playmakers and Johnny Rockets. If you go over that then you pay the difference. The JR on Navigator is different, it’s just a counter you order and then go find a seat near the pool. Izumi you have $39.99 for the prix fixed menu.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BBQ Bacon said:

Maybe I didn't ask the question properly.  The 50 wings at Playmakers is $25.  If I order this and the wife orders only $12 worth of food, do I pay the extra $5 and the wife has $8 remaining on her limit or will they deduct the $40 from the total bill?

You would get dinged for the $5 plus the 18% gratuity placed against the $5.  I have been dinged many times for $1 overage against my vouchers in the Bamboo Room. Let me add what many are thinking..... no one needs 50 wings..... happy cruising

• Haha 1

On 7/9/2023 at 2:56 PM, taglovestocruise said:

Playmakers for lunch would be far superior than Johnny Rockets.  JR on Navigator is just the express JR with no seating. Navigator only has three specialty dining venues, try them all. Your UDP credit at Playmakers would be a lot of food.

Navigator has 4 plus Playmakers.  Hooked, Chops, Jamie's and Izumi 

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

You would get dinged for the $5 plus the 18% gratuity placed against the $5.  I have been dinged many times for $1 overage against my vouchers in the Bamboo Room. Let me add what many are thinking..... no one needs 50 wings..... happy cruising

You have never seen me on Wing Wednesday! :)