Manfredi’s

friendlyfifer

3 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Sorry Clay - I'll disagree with you.  And maybe Saturn was squeezed together more in MDR.

The MDR tables for 2 were VERY tight together.  So tight I took pictures in case I need to show people.  I would avoid the middle seat of the 737 at all costs unless you are a party of 6 and then you can all sit together!!   But thanks for the advice on the table #1 being private.  Assume it's a 2 seater?

On our Saturn Iceland trip, the MDR was filled to max every dinner we went, and we likely won't be back as the sound and cacophony were nearly unbearable and you basically couldn't carry on a conversation.  Maybe though go earlier at 6:00 when people have not had quite so much to drink.

IMG_5805compressedMDRSeatingfor2.thumb.JPG.18ee76b8ce5a76b0fa4ee1c15b0d9c37.JPG

I will try next week to remember to take (and post) a picture with a tape measure between the tables. 😂

The only time we experienced a noise issue as you described when we were located near the very large tables at the stern.  It seemed one of the larger groups were talking louder to hear each other across the table for 8 or 10 (and over one of their party who had been over-served and had a crazy loud laugh) which in turn caused the other nearby table of six to talk louder which in turn causes the huge table's volume to go up with in turn.....🤪

Ive found the stern corners and the forward corners of both dining rooms to be the quieter parts of the room. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

I will try next week to remember to take (and post) a picture with a tape measure between the tables. 😂

The only time we experienced a noise issue as you described when we were located near the very large tables at the stern.  It seemed one of the larger groups were talking louder to hear each other across the table for 8 or 10 (and over one of their party who had been over-served and had a crazy loud laugh) which in turn caused the other nearby table of six to talk louder which in turn causes the huge table's volume to go up with in turn.....🤪

Ive found the stern corners and the forward corners of both dining rooms to be the quieter parts of the room. 

We go early—usually at 6– and it’s quite pleasant.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

We go early—usually at 6– and it’s quite pleasant.

Thanks, Linda!  Good to know.

It was "hard" to go early on our Iceland trip since it never got dark!  It seemed like we were struggling to get to dinner by 8 PM 🙂    I know, tough problem, eh?

• Haha 2

Manfreddi’s still has chicken parm.

However, portion sizes on many items have drastically shrunk.

I got prawns and angel hair as my meal and was served 3 shrimp and a few forkful’s of angel hair. I had to ask for another order to get a full meal.

My SIL got 4 ravioli’s and also had to order another serving. 
These were embarrassingly small portions.

The rib eye is still full- sized, thank goodness.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Manfreddi’s still has chicken parm.

However, portion sizes on many items have drastically shrunk.

I got prawns and angel hair as my meal and was served 3 shrimp and a few forkful’s of angel hair. I had to ask for another order to get a full meal.

My SIL got 4 ravioli’s and also had to order another serving. 
These were embarrassingly small portions.

The rib eye is still full- sized, thank goodness.

Maybe they accidentally served you half portions?  That's what we usually order when we are having a pasta as a primi and a secondo. In the before times I often wondered how what I was served could be a half portion as it was way too much food. 

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 3

I was thinking exactly the same. Previously I ordered a half portion of their 'little bit of pasta' if as a primi, especially as the mains were so large. I've found that you can adjust the sizes of whatever you order and even the order sequence. We've had mains for starters and vice versa, they will do what you ask very happily, they're always eager to please.

We were on the Jupiter just a few weeks ago and the portion sizes were as before and apart from a so so Carbonara every other dish was delicious. The Bistecca was thick and almost the size of the plate and perfectly cooked. There seem to be so many experience variations here.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Maybe they accidentally served you half portions?  That's what we usually order when we are having a pasta as a primi and a secondo. In the before times I often wondered how what I was served could be a half portion as it was way too much food. 

Bingo!
That explains why my second serving had 6 shrimp and lots of pasta.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2023 at 5:56 AM, CDNPolar said:

We are on a cruise in a different part of the world to experience different cuisine not eat the same as we do at home.  Steak, pasta, and seafood prepared for a North American palate is not what we are after.

I can relate to this. One thing I appreciate about land tours is the opportunity to eat local food. Would love to see Viking offer more of this, though I understand the complications it would present. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

I can relate to this. One thing I appreciate about land tours is the opportunity to eat local food. Would love to see Viking offer more of this, though I understand the complications it would present. 

We opted for a land based tour next January through Cambodia and Vietnam.  We were going to do the Mekong River Cruise, but we really wanted to experience the real and true local food in these countries.

NO, it won't be as luxurious as travelling on Viking but, we will get the real food.

We love that you can unpack on Viking once and just enjoy, but too wish that there could be a higher level of destination inspired food.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

We opted for a land based tour next January through Cambodia and Vietnam.  We were going to do the Mekong River Cruise, but we really wanted to experience the real and true local food in these countries.

NO, it won't be as luxurious as travelling on Viking but, we will get the real food.

We love that you can unpack on Viking once and just enjoy, but too wish that there could be a higher level of destination inspired food.

Where do you get "real Food'? Certainly not at places that cater to tourists.

Just now, duquephart said:

Where do you get "real Food'? Certainly not at places that cater to tourists.

we won’t be eating in places the cater to tourists.

We have travelled all over China and Japan, and only eaten in restaurants off of back alleys and not in the middle of tourist town.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

we won’t be eating in places the cater to tourists.

We have travelled all over China and Japan, and only eaten in restaurants off of back alleys and not in the middle of tourist town.

Smart.

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

We were going to do the Mekong River Cruise, but we really wanted to experience the real and true local food in these countries.

We were in Ho Chi Minh City with Viking in Nov. 2019. A few of us went on a private street food tour the 2nd evening—not to tourist locales. I ended up with “Uncle Ho’s Revenge” the next night. We’re looking at touring the Mekong in a year or two but will probably stick with Viking.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

We were in Ho Chi Minh City with Viking in Nov. 2019. A few of us went on a private street food tour the 2nd evening—not to tourist locales. I ended up with “Uncle Ho’s Revenge” the next night. We’re looking at touring the Mekong in a year or two but will probably stick with Viking.

Street food is never recommended unless you really know what you are getting yourself in for.  Often you will end up with some kind of "revenge".

It might look good, but even as seasoned travellers, we avoid street food and go to a reputable restaurant.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CDNPolar said:

Street food is never recommended unless you really know what you are getting yourself in for.  Often you will end up with some kind of "revenge".

It might look good, but even as seasoned travellers, we avoid street food and go to a reputable restaurant.

We are seasoned travelers too. 😇

• Like 1

Just now, LindaS272 said:

We are seasoned travelers too. 😇

That is what you say, but then as I said, we as seasoned travellers AVOID street food.

Stick to restaurants and recommended restaurants.

With out land based tour next January, we will have a local guide that will recommend restaurants that are not tourist but where our health is safe.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Linda’s DH here. I’ve traveled all over the world since 1981, which I suppose makes me a “seasoned traveler.” Yet every so often, I come down with the local revenge. It can happen to anybody — including “seasoned travelers.”

I don’t lecture people on these boards about what they should and shouldn’t do while traveling. I suggest that you do the same.

Edited by SJD117
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

That is what you say, but then as I said, we as seasoned travellers AVOID street food.

Stick to restaurants and recommended restaurants.

With out land based tour next January, we will have a local guide that will recommend restaurants that are not tourist but where our health is safe.

Good for you. You have no idea how we travel. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

We've travelled through Cambodia and Laos on a motorcycle so really got to see the interior/non-tourist portions of the countries.  We loved it.  People have no wealth whatsoever but seemed genuinely happy.  So, I think they actually had a lot.  We learned a lot from that trip. 

I remember stopping for breakfast on the side of a dirt road.  Just a lady making some type of rice/egg stir fry for breakfast for the village.  Mind you 10 huts or so was the totality of this village.  I forget the price was (nothing by US standards), but I gave her essentially double what she said the price was.  She wasn't insulted but made sure I took the extra money back.  I didn't argue and try to give her the tip.  If I remember correctly, it was served on some type of husk, corn or something.  No fork/spoon.

My advice would be to try to get as far out in the rural parts of the country as possible.  We never had any fears there.  I've told all my friends and family that you don't have to worry about theft in these rural areas of third world nations because they have no use for what we value.  And they don't have access to eBay.  Not to mention, I think theft is a foreign concept to most - at least folks we've met.

• Like 2

On 7/11/2023 at 11:48 AM, KBs mum said:

A small example would be the cheese on the buffet, the cheddar was orange (similar to the burger cheese)

Coming from a state (Vermont), that routinely wins prizes for its craft cheeses (not to mention beer!), we would probably give it a miss too!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

Coming from a state (Vermont), that routinely wins prizes for its craft cheeses (not to mention beer!), we would probably give it a miss too!

Agreed.  Pre-Covid we used to enjoy the cheeses.  And Manfredis had a dessert cheese plate which was a favorite.  On our two cruises this year, no dessert cheese plate any longer, and horrible cheese in the WC— what my husband calls rat cheese.  Oh, I would love a piece of Vermont cheddar!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SJD117 said:

Linda’s DH here. I’ve traveled all over the world since 1981, which I suppose makes me a “seasoned traveler.” Yet every so often, I come down with the local revenge. It can happen to anybody — including “seasoned travelers.”

I don’t lecture people on these boards about what they should and shouldn’t do while traveling. I suggest that you do the same.

You are quite sensitive.  I am just stating an opinion and if you think that was a lecture, then you were mistaken.

29 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

You are quite sensitive.  I am just stating an opinion and if you think that was a lecture, then you were mistaken.

You lectured my wife about what it means to be a “seasoned traveler.” Bad form.