Viking Air

JosieCat-MN

Thanks everyone for your help.  I did book my flights.  No upgrades available, but when I looked at what Comfort + got you over main, I didn't really need it.  Don't really need extra legroom, don't really needs snacks/drinks and I'm checking luggage, so no real motivation to board early - or get off early as I have a 3-hour layover.  They agreed that a one-hour layover wasn't enough time. I consider that first day a travel day anyway.  Still get in at 1:45 p.m.

But I got the flight I wanted and the window seat I wanted, so I'm good - and it's DONE!  One less thing to worry about.  I had to pay the $100 for the Viking Air + and a $253 air differential - or whatever they call it.

Again - thanks all!!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JosieCat-MN said:

Thanks everyone for your help.  I did book my flights.  No upgrades available, but when I looked at what Comfort + got you over main, I didn't really need it.  Don't really need extra legroom, don't really needs snacks/drinks and I'm checking luggage, so no real motivation to board early - or get off early as I have a 3-hour layover.  They agreed that a one-hour layover wasn't enough time. I consider that first day a travel day anyway.  Still get in at 1:45 p.m.

But I got the flight I wanted and the window seat I wanted, so I'm good - and it's DONE!  One less thing to worry about.  I had to pay the $100 for the Viking Air + and a $253 air differential - or whatever they call it.

Again - thanks all!!!

Good on you that you got what you wanted!  In the end that is what matters!  (Happy Dance)

• Like 1

On 3/25/2024 at 3:46 PM, CDNPolar said:

Deviation is $100 per person and on each side of the trip.  So if you are going in early and staying later then you will be $200 per person extra for the deviation.  UNLESS you are purchasing the Viking extensions on one or both sides.  If you purchase the Viking extension there is no deviation charge.

You should see your flights soon for a July cruise.  If you go to MyVikingJourney, set up your account and register your booking number and then look at the air tab, it will tell you when your flights will be posted.

You can work with the flights they give you on MVJ and look at alternate schedules and select seats yourself, or make a decision to add Air Plus and talk to a Viking Air rep to customize your flights.  Adding Viking Air Plus is generally now $150 per person - just a one time charge, not for both ways.  With Viking Air Plus you can research and choose flights that you might prefer and if they fall under Viking contract rates, you can get them under the free air.  If the flights you prefer fall outside of the Viking contact rates, you may have to pay more for those particular flights.

For this to work with your deviations, you must alert them in advance that you are going in early and staying later especially if you are not purchasing your pre and post through Viking.  Otherwise you will have flight choices that fly the day before the cruise and the day the cruise disembarks. 

Hope all this makes sense.

If you get their air, they will fly you in the day before cruise with no air deviation? How do the transfers work then? They wouldn't pick you up at your hotel, would they?

10 hours ago, victory2020 said:

If you get their air, they will fly you in the day before cruise with no air deviation? How do the transfers work then? They wouldn't pick you up at your hotel, would they?

Many parts to unpack here.

Purchasing the Air Plus only gives you the ability to have more control over the air you are booking.  

Normally Viking fly you in to arrive on the day the cruise ship embarks.  If you want to fly in early, then you will have a deviation fee per person to come in a day or two or whatever early.

Buying the Air Plus does not eliminate the deviation fee.

If you are flying in early, you are on your own from the arrival airport to your accommodation and from your accommodation the next day to the ship.  Viking does not provide you transportation.

IF HOWEVER you purchase a Viking Pre Cruise package, then the deviation fee is not charged, and transfers are included.

Hope this makes sense.

• Thanks 1

I have a question regarding Viking air. I have my flights, first is perfect nonstop, return is at 9:10am out of Munich - 2 hours away from ship. I am looking at changing second for nominal fee so am looking at several options. Do you get airline flyer miles when Viking buys you flight? 

On 3/25/2024 at 3:00 AM, CDNPolar said:

Your best bet is to purchase Viking Air Plus and then do the research on the airlines, routes, connections, etc., that you want, and then call Air Plus.

Give Air Plus your first selection and see if it falls inside Viking contract rates.  They will tell you if it does or does not, and if not then you can give your second selection or ask for their recommendation.

We typically fly Air Canada, Lufthansa, or BA with Viking.  We recently gave a chose. itinerary to Viking that was AC both directions but the pricing did not include the AC flight that we wanted home, so we discussed and settled for BA home through LHR.  This was fine.  We were going to have to connect home anyway.

Looking for who is cheapest or looking at price is not the way to determine if maybe this would be an airline or itinerary that Viking would book for you.  This has been discussed before.  It is about contracts and contract pricing, not about what we see published on Google Flights or even the airline sites.

Note however that contract pricing may be available for your preferred routes but you may not have the option of upgrade to PE or Business.  This also depends on the contract pricing.  Does not mean that you cannot upgrade at the airport if open...  we recently were told that no upgrades were available for what Viking was booking for us but we were offered upgrades at checkin at the airport at reasonable cost.

So, the end message here is don't make assumptions about the cost that you are looking at.  Viking's goal is NOT to have you connecting multiple times but rather to get you there the most efficient way possible.  That is our experience anyway.

It looked like Air Canada charges you to choose seats even on transatlantic? Is that correct? 

54 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

It looked like Air Canada charges you to choose seats even on transatlantic? Is that correct? 

It depends on the fare class.

1 hour ago, victory2020 said:

Regular economy, not basic

There are multiple fare classes in economy. Neither Basic nor Standard include free seat selection. You have to move up to Flex to get a free standard seat or to Latitude to get a free Preferred Seat.

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

There are multiple fare classes in economy. Neither Basic nor Standard include free seat selection. You have to move up to Flex to get a free standard seat or to Latitude to get a free Preferred Seat.

Thanks. Do you happen to know what class Viking books when you get their standard fare? 

9 hours ago, victory2020 said:

I have a question regarding Viking air. I have my flights, first is perfect nonstop, return is at 9:10am out of Munich - 2 hours away from ship. I am looking at changing second for nominal fee so am looking at several options. Do you get airline flyer miles when Viking buys you flight? 

This is all about the contract rate.  I don't believe - others will correct me if I am wrong - that there is one class that Viking books under.  I have had flights that I could upgrade with Viking because of the class and flights that I could not upgrade because of the class.  Airline miles are based on fare class.  You won't know this until you book.

5 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Thanks. Do you happen to know what class Viking books when you get their standard fare? 

Same answer as above.  

Two ways to do air with Viking:

1) Wait until the air is selected for you and posted in MVJ - this is usually about 150 days from departure.  Now you have about 60 days to "play" with your air choices on MVJ until they ticket the air that is selected for you.  Once the air selections on MVJ are ticketed, then you are dealing with change fees potentially to both Viking and the airline.

2) Use Viking Air Plus from the start.  Pay for Viking Air Plus ($150pp) and research your flights and then call in and give the agent your preferred itinerary.  If your choices are available within Viking contract rates, they will book them for you and then you have your desired itinerary.  If not within contract rates, they will offer you a fee to pay for what you want, or an alternative.

You can also in option "1" move to Viking Air Plus once selected flights are in MVJ if you cannot modify them to your liking.

Some have suggested that Viking Air Plus is going away.  I don't believe that this is the case.  Adding the functionality on MVJ to modify your own air is the DIY'ers version of Viking Air Plus.  For others that want more help, you still have Viking Air Plus.

We have always used Viking Air Plus in the past and for the first time we are anxiously awaiting to see what flights will pop up for our next cruise.  The only downside to this is that we have generally always gotten the flights/seats that we want by booking as much as 270-300 days out with Viking Air Plus.  This is a trial for us.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

This is all about the contract rate.  I don't believe - others will correct me if I am wrong - that there is one class that Viking books under.  I have had flights that I could upgrade with Viking because of the class and flights that I could not upgrade because of the class.  Airline miles are based on fare class.  You won't know this until you book.

Same answer as above.  

Two ways to do air with Viking:

1) Wait until the air is selected for you and posted in MVJ - this is usually about 150 days from departure.  Now you have about 60 days to "play" with your air choices on MVJ until they ticket the air that is selected for you.  Once the air selections on MVJ are ticketed, then you are dealing with change fees potentially to both Viking and the airline.

2) Use Viking Air Plus from the start.  Pay for Viking Air Plus ($150pp) and research your flights and then call in and give the agent your preferred itinerary.  If your choices are available within Viking contract rates, they will book them for you and then you have your desired itinerary.  If not within contract rates, they will offer you a fee to pay for what you want, or an alternative.

You can also in option "1" move to Viking Air Plus once selected flights are in MVJ if you cannot modify them to your liking.

Some have suggested that Viking Air Plus is going away.  I don't believe that this is the case.  Adding the functionality on MVJ to modify your own air is the DIY'ers version of Viking Air Plus.  For others that want more help, you still have Viking Air Plus.

We have always used Viking Air Plus in the past and for the first time we are anxiously awaiting to see what flights will pop up for our next cruise.  The only downside to this is that we have generally always gotten the flights/seats that we want by booking as much as 270-300 days out with Viking Air Plus.  This is a trial for us.

I just booked for a July cruise. Perfect flight into Europe on carrier where I have mileage accounts, coming back I have really early flight & can change it for under $100. I have a choice of two carriers - if I don't accrue miles I will choose less expensive option on another carrier.

Will more options appear as time goes on? I'm thinking not, so I should choose sooner or later. How long can I keep looking at flights before they are ticketed?

10 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

Will more options appear as time goes on? I'm thinking not, so I should choose sooner or later. How long can I keep looking at flights before they are ticketed?

No, I don't believe that more options will appear as time goes on.  If you have used something like GoogleFlights and found alternates, you can add Air Plus and call and see if these are available, BUT you will pay $150 pp for this service.

There is no guarantee as to how much time you have before ticketing.  Even the reservations department say that flights can be ticketed at any time, but generally not before 75 days from departure.

If you are going to opt for one of the options on MVJ with an additional cost, then choose sooner rather than later.

• Thanks 1

On 4/12/2024 at 7:44 AM, CDNPolar said:

No, I don't believe that more options will appear as time goes on.  If you have used something like GoogleFlights and found alternates, you can add Air Plus and call and see if these are available, BUT you will pay $150 pp for this service.

There is no guarantee as to how much time you have before ticketing.  Even the reservations department say that flights can be ticketed at any time, but generally not before 75 days from departure.

If you are going to opt for one of the options on MVJ with an additional cost, then choose sooner rather than later.

Can I change more than once before ticketing? I'm pretty sure I know what I want but there is a second flight that may be slightly better timing - if I feel like getting a very early start

4 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Can I change more than once before ticketing? I'm pretty sure I know what I want but there is a second flight that may be slightly better timing - if I feel like getting a very early start

I think you can change as many times as you want before ticketing, but if there are additional fees, I don't know how that works...  

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

I think you can change as many times as you want before ticketing, but if there are additional fees, I don't know how that works...  

Ok, I was thinking the same thing. I need to pay $67 more, other flight I'm looking at would be around $90. If I were to buy first & switch to second, maybe just paying the difference again?

12 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Ok, I was thinking the same thing. I need to pay $67 more, other flight I'm looking at would be around $90. If I were to buy first & switch to second, maybe just paying the difference again?

Yeah - I have never done the switch.  We make our flight decisions pretty quickly based on certain rules we have created for ourselves.

Because we are flying out of Toronto, we are typically direct to the first major city in Europe and so we pick the flight where we like the departure/arrival time.  If this city is our final destination then we like to arrive around Noon.  If we are connecting in this city then we choose an arrival time much earlier to ensure that we can connect earlier and therefore make our final destination at a decent time.

Always a 2.5 hour connection time if we are connecting in a European country to the final destination to allow for passport control, security, and not having to rush in case our inbound flight is late.

We look, assess the options, and generally in 10-15 minutes of comparisons we make the decision and lock it in.  We fly a lot so we know what we like and what works for us.

10 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Yeah - I have never done the switch.  We make our flight decisions pretty quickly based on certain rules we have created for ourselves.

Because we are flying out of Toronto, we are typically direct to the first major city in Europe and so we pick the flight where we like the departure/arrival time.  If this city is our final destination then we like to arrive around Noon.  If we are connecting in this city then we choose an arrival time much earlier to ensure that we can connect earlier and therefore make our final destination at a decent time.

Always a 2.5 hour connection time if we are connecting in a European country to the final destination to allow for passport control, security, and not having to rush in case our inbound flight is late.

We look, assess the options, and generally in 10-15 minutes of comparisons we make the decision and lock it in.  We fly a lot so we know what we like and what works for us.

They actually added another option for Virgin air but I think it's still too early (10:30). I'm looking at a 12:50 flight. How many shuttles does Viking have on debark? I don't want to get to the airport too early(I mean get up too early).

12 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

They actually added another option for Virgin air but I think it's still too early (10:30). I'm looking at a 12:50 flight. How many shuttles does Viking have on debark? I don't want to get to the airport too early(I mean get up too early).

You have to get up early because you have to be out of your cabine fairly early (usually 8 am). 

1 minute ago, gnome12 said:

You have to get up early because you have to be out of your cabine fairly early (usually 8 am). 

Getting out by 8 is OK, just don't want to have to leave the ship at 5 or 6.

2 hours ago, victory2020 said:

On Viking you must leave your cabin by 8am, but you can still go and have breakfast and hang around the ship.

You will put your luggage out the night before and Viking will give you special tags that are colour coded to the time you leave.  You claim your bags shore side and then take them to the bus.

Viking will typically get you to the airport 3 hours in advance of the flight so depending on the time to the airport - say it is 30 minutes - you will leave the ship 3.5 hours before your flight.  If your flight is 12:50pm then you will likely leave the ship between 9 and 9:30am.

Don't stress about these things... no matter what flight you pick something will not work exactly as planned - that is what travel is all about.

3 hours ago, victory2020 said:

You will be assigned to a bus the day before.  It is not that they have a set number of busses that go, but they group people together as needed based on departure time.  You don't really have much say in when they take you, you have to accept what they give you.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2024 at 8:18 PM, victory2020 said:

On MyViking Journey there is a place to put your frequent flyer miles number. hope that helps.