Viking Air

JosieCat-MN

Posted (edited)
On 3/3/2024 at 5:52 AM, CDNPolar said:

We now routinely go one day early for any cruise unless the river or ocean ship is in port overnight and not leaving until the next day in the evening.

Agree 1000%, we do this for land tours as well.  Just makes things more relaxing, having a day to chll out.  Also agree re: cruises, we are not arriving early for our tulip cruise next month, because the ship does not sail until the late day 2 or the early day 3 (day 1:  arrive,  day 2: tour Amsterdam, day 3:  sail)

Edited by sharkster77
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2023 at 4:13 PM, JosieCat-MN said:

THANK YOU.  I just called AGAIN, and got a completely different answer from a different person.  I am now flying into Zurich.  I was already paying the deviation fee because I'm flying in early.

Curious to know which airlines you got booked?

It seems Delta is a frequent partner and who? Lufthansa? BA? 

We are also flying into Zurich and google flights gives cheap carriers like WestJet and Norse that surely are not candidates for Viking. The cheaper flights are also like 20 - 22 hours when 11 - 15 hours are possible but at double the cost ($600 vs 1200 (United/Delta/American)).

What does Viking base their deviation options on? Any ideas?

8 hours ago, ttnc4me said:

We are also flying into Zurich and google flights gives cheap carriers like WestJet and Norse that surely are not candidates for Viking. The cheaper flights are also like 20 - 22 hours when 11 - 15 hours are possible but at double the cost ($600 vs 1200 (United/Delta/American)).

Your best bet is to purchase Viking Air Plus and then do the research on the airlines, routes, connections, etc., that you want, and then call Air Plus.

Give Air Plus your first selection and see if it falls inside Viking contract rates.  They will tell you if it does or does not, and if not then you can give your second selection or ask for their recommendation.

We typically fly Air Canada, Lufthansa, or BA with Viking.  We recently gave a chose. itinerary to Viking that was AC both directions but the pricing did not include the AC flight that we wanted home, so we discussed and settled for BA home through LHR.  This was fine.  We were going to have to connect home anyway.

Looking for who is cheapest or looking at price is not the way to determine if maybe this would be an airline or itinerary that Viking would book for you.  This has been discussed before.  It is about contracts and contract pricing, not about what we see published on Google Flights or even the airline sites.

Note however that contract pricing may be available for your preferred routes but you may not have the option of upgrade to PE or Business.  This also depends on the contract pricing.  Does not mean that you cannot upgrade at the airport if open...  we recently were told that no upgrades were available for what Viking was booking for us but we were offered upgrades at checkin at the airport at reasonable cost.

So, the end message here is don't make assumptions about the cost that you are looking at.  Viking's goal is NOT to have you connecting multiple times but rather to get you there the most efficient way possible.  That is our experience anyway.

8 hours ago, ttnc4me said:

I The cheaper flights are also like 20 - 22 hours when 11 - 15 hours are possible but at double the cost ($600 vs 1200 (United/Delta/American)).

Just back from Munich w V air+.. We paid the +100pp deviation fee for arrive early/stay over.  We booked seats 8 mos early for best seat choices, preferred airline, etc.  V air+ told us the nonstop MUC to ATL home flt (1 available daily) would be +400 pp upcharge over their V contract.  The nonstop saved 3+hrs travel, avoiding connecting layover. Adding Comfort+ was +300 pp. upcharge.

V air+ is wide open choices/preferences.  You can wait until 90days before sailing and learn what your default flights are, if unacceptable, switch to air+ but already the best seats likely taken to Europe.  

BTW, we take lower category/price cabins and spend the $ saved on preferred air/date upcharges.  Suggest looking at the 'big picture'. HAPPY TRAVELS

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, greydog said:

You can wait until 90days before sailing and learn what your default flights are, if unacceptable, switch to air+

We are trying this for the first time with an October transatlantic cruise from Barcelona to San Juan.

We have always booked our air about 270 days out and paid for and used Air+ for this.

With now the options to make changes on MVJ that were not there some time back, we will try this.  Look at what they give us, and then see from there what we do.  Since we now often fly economy to Europe, we will save the Air Plus fee if the flights meet our expectations.

55 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

We have always booked our air about 270 days out and paid for and used Air+ for this.

Agree 100%.  Get Air Plus and reserve 10 months early for best seat selections. Then check monthly for aircraft or other flight changes.  It's only a placeholder until ticketed.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ttnc4me said:

Last week I flew American RT from Watertown NY to Zurich, 1 connection in Philadelphia.  It couldn't have been smoother.  I booked the flights a month prior and got a great price, and layflat seat on the way over, premium economy on the way back...but it was March.  15 minute train ride to city, roughly $8 usd.  

Main train station in Zurich is a mass of people, 470,000 passengers a day.  4 levels, includes a layer of shops.  Construction outside added to the chaos.  Very efficient place.

10 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Your best bet is to purchase Viking Air Plus and then do the research on the airlines, routes, connections, etc., that you want, and then call Air Plus.

Give Air Plus your first selection and see if it falls inside Viking contract rates.  They will tell you if it does or does not, and if not then you can give your second selection or ask for their recommendation.

We typically fly Air Canada, Lufthansa, or BA with Viking.  We recently gave a chose. itinerary to Viking that was AC both directions but the pricing did not include the AC flight that we wanted home, so we discussed and settled for BA home through LHR.  This was fine.  We were going to have to connect home anyway.

Looking for who is cheapest or looking at price is not the way to determine if maybe this would be an airline or itinerary that Viking would book for you.  This has been discussed before.  It is about contracts and contract pricing, not about what we see published on Google Flights or even the airline sites.

Note however that contract pricing may be available for your preferred routes but you may not have the option of upgrade to PE or Business.  This also depends on the contract pricing.  Does not mean that you cannot upgrade at the airport if open...  we recently were told that no upgrades were available for what Viking was booking for us but we were offered upgrades at checkin at the airport at reasonable cost.

So, the end message here is don't make assumptions about the cost that you are looking at.  Viking's goal is NOT to have you connecting multiple times but rather to get you there the most efficient way possible.  That is our experience anyway.

CDNPolar,

Have you ever fly from Canada, via Frankfurt airport, then took Lufthansa to another European country?

I want to know whether you have to go through Security control or Passport office in Frankfurt prior to board Lufthansa flight?

Thanks!

34 minutes ago, HSBC said:

CDNPolar,

Have you ever fly from Canada, via Frankfurt airport, then took Lufthansa to another European country?

I want to know whether you have to go through Security control or Passport office in Frankfurt prior to board Lufthansa flight?

Thanks!

I'm not @CDNPolar, however, you have to go through Passport control if you are connecting to another Schengen country, which includes almost all of Europe. I'm not certain about security, but I think you do need to go through security.

• Thanks 1

I'm new to Viking & am looking at a Basel to Amsterdam with a deviation on both sides. Air is free in July but I understand the deviation is $100. Is that on both ends or just one deviation charge? Do they give you the flights or do you get any choice?

1 hour ago, HSBC said:

CDNPolar,

Thanks!

We have flown Lufthansa through Frankfurt many times from Canada and connecting to another European country.

You must go through passport control when landing in your first European country and then you will also go through security again before boarding your next flight.

This is the same if you fly in on Air Canada, and then connect to Lufthansa, or go Lufthansa all the way.

Your bags however will check straight through to your final destination.

Make sure if you are going through Frankfurt or Munich that you have sufficient connection time. The line for non-European passports can be long.  We have waited more than 30+ minutes to clear passport control then you will potentially have security lines as well.

We don't generally fly through Frankfurt or Munich with less than 2 hours to 2.5 hours connection time.  We have learned that shorter connections are often stressful and not worth the time saving when you are the one running down the concourse at final call for the flight.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, victory2020 said:

I'm new to Viking & am looking at a Basel to Amsterdam with a deviation on both sides. Air is free in July but I understand the deviation is $100. Is that on both ends or just one deviation charge? Do they give you the flights or do you get any choice?

Deviation is $100 per person and on each side of the trip.  So if you are going in early and staying later then you will be $200 per person extra for the deviation.  UNLESS you are purchasing the Viking extensions on one or both sides.  If you purchase the Viking extension there is no deviation charge.

You should see your flights soon for a July cruise.  If you go to MyVikingJourney, set up your account and register your booking number and then look at the air tab, it will tell you when your flights will be posted.

You can work with the flights they give you on MVJ and look at alternate schedules and select seats yourself, or make a decision to add Air Plus and talk to a Viking Air rep to customize your flights.  Adding Viking Air Plus is generally now $150 per person - just a one time charge, not for both ways.  With Viking Air Plus you can research and choose flights that you might prefer and if they fall under Viking contract rates, you can get them under the free air.  If the flights you prefer fall outside of the Viking contact rates, you may have to pay more for those particular flights.

For this to work with your deviations, you must alert them in advance that you are going in early and staying later especially if you are not purchasing your pre and post through Viking.  Otherwise you will have flight choices that fly the day before the cruise and the day the cruise disembarks. 

Hope all this makes sense.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ural guy said:

Last week I flew American RT from Watertown NY to Zurich, 1 connection in Philadelphia.  It couldn't have been smoother.  I booked the flights a month prior and got a great price, and layflat seat on the way over, premium economy on the way back...but it was March.  15 minute train ride to city, roughly $8 usd.  

Main train station in Zurich is a mass of people, 470,000 passengers a day.  4 levels, includes a layer of shops.  Construction outside added to the chaos.  Very efficient place.

Thanks. We are traveling in June. Only took a day and we got our flights assigned. Air Canada/Swiss on the way over and VA on the way back. Guess we paid $100 extra for nothing since the flights are actually wonderful without any interference on our end. 

Here's to hoping the train is easy to navigate since we'll be exhausted on arrival. Thanks all!

6 hours ago, ttnc4me said:

Thanks. We are traveling in June. Only took a day and we got our flights assigned. Air Canada/Swiss on the way over and VA on the way back. Guess we paid $100 extra for nothing since the flights are actually wonderful without any interference on our end. 

Here's to hoping the train is easy to navigate since we'll be exhausted on arrival. Thanks all!

Are you are saying that you paid for Viking Air - $100 pp - but did not use it?  You just took the flights that were given?

Then call Viking reservations and ask for Viking Air Plus to be removed and they should refund you the $100pp that you paid.  In my knowledge this is only a fee you pay if you actually use the Viking Air Plus service.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ttnc4me said:

Glad the flight part worked out.

Leaving the airport is easy, it was just the city station that was daunting. Tram up top, with the big trains down a few levels threw my brain at first.

Passport control, then grab your bags and go through customs into main hall, you'll see signs for the train station.  Follow those.  The ticket machines have a language button....here's a guide, although it is pretty straight forward. 2nd class ticket is fine, tap and pay worked well throughout trip.  Trains are frequent, pick the one with the shortest transit time. 

I've ridden trains in Europe a bit, and I still get nervous, and verified with another passenger that this was the correct train (it continues past Hauptbanhof so Zurich hbf wasn't the train name).  

Where are you headed to from city station?

https://lostinswitzerland.com/train-ticket-sbb-machine/

• Like 1

On 3/25/2024 at 4:47 PM, HSBC said:

CDNPolar,

Thanks!

On 3/25/2024 at 6:39 PM, CDNPolar said:

We have flown Lufthansa through Frankfurt many times from Canada and connecting to another European country.

You must go through passport control when landing in your first European country and then you will also go through security again before boarding your next flight.

This is the same if you fly in on Air Canada, and then connect to Lufthansa, or go Lufthansa all the way.

Your bags however will check straight through to your final destination.

Make sure if you are going through Frankfurt or Munich that you have sufficient connection time. The line for non-European passports can be long.  We have waited more than 30+ minutes to clear passport control then you will potentially have security lines as well.

We don't generally fly through Frankfurt or Munich with less than 2 hours to 2.5 hours connection time.  We have learned that shorter connections are often stressful and not worth the time saving when you are the one running down the concourse at final call for the flight.

The caveat first:  Unfortunately, this is not available to Canadian passport holders.

For U.S. passport holders, however, the German Federal Police offers a service whereby you can register to use the eGates to pass through border security as easily as Schengen passport holders.  Details on the free service are available on the Frankfurt Airport website:   https://www.easypass.de/EasyPass/EN/EasyPASS-RTP/rtp_node.html

The only downside is you need to travel to the Federal Police office in FRA to register.  The office is outside of security, so you'll have to do the arrival process and then pass through security again to board your connecting flight.  We had a four-hour layover when we registered, so it was not an issue.  It has worked great on our subsequent connections through FRA.

31 minutes ago, loriva said:

The caveat first:  Unfortunately, this is not available to Canadian passport holders.

For U.S. passport holders, however, the German Federal Police offers a service whereby you can register to use the eGates to pass through border security as easily as Schengen passport holders.  Details on the free service are available on the Frankfurt Airport website:   https://www.easypass.de/EasyPass/EN/EasyPASS-RTP/rtp_node.html

The only downside is you need to travel to the Federal Police office in FRA to register.  The office is outside of security, so you'll have to do the arrival process and then pass through security again to board your connecting flight.  We had a four-hour layover when we registered, so it was not an issue.  It has worked great on our subsequent connections through FRA.

Understand not for CDN Passports, but does this allow you to go through the eGates in any European city or just FRA?

3 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Understand not for CDN Passports, but does this allow you to go through the eGates in any European city or just FRA?

Only FRA.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/26/2024 at 5:13 AM, CDNPolar said:

Are you are saying that you paid for Viking Air - $100 pp - but did not use it?  You just took the flights that were given?

Then call Viking reservations and ask for Viking Air Plus to be removed and they should refund you the $100pp that you paid.  In my knowledge this is only a fee you pay if you actually use the Viking Air Plus service.

I actually did have to use it since we are flying in two days early, so there's that, but thanks for the idea anyway and the input. I wish I could!

We have family traveling with us that took the standard flights and are getting in at 5:40pm for the boat to leave at 9! Too close for comfort for me.

Edited by ttnc4me
  • Like 1

Wow, many comments since the last time I checked in.    New question, probably a stupid idea.

I'm heading to Zurich 4 days before my cruise.  I did pay for flights through Viking, but am getting impatient as apparently they won't book them until July (my cruise is October 4).  Is it stupid to book a flight you like, that can be cancelled, just in case.

I found a flight that I like – 4:35 p.m. – arriving in Zurich at 10:25 a.m.  This has a 1 hour 15 minute layover in CDG.  First question.  Is that enough time, and how easy is that airport to navigate.

I picked this flight for the short layover, but also because they are offering the Comfort+ Economy for $1,090 where all the other flights are in the $1,400 range.  I would also spend another $125 to make it refundable.  This way if I actually end up with decent flights through Viking I could cancel. My plan is to let Viking book my flight home, as I don’t really care on that one.

22 minutes ago, JosieCat-MN said:

I found a flight that I like – 4:35 p.m. – arriving in Zurich at 10:25 a.m.  This has a 1 hour 15 minute layover in CDG.  First question.  Is that enough time, and how easy is that airport to navigate.

From what I understand that isn't anywhere near enough time in CDG.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, JosieCat-MN said:

Wow, many comments since the last time I checked in.    New question, probably a stupid idea.

I'm heading to Zurich 4 days before my cruise.  I did pay for flights through Viking, but am getting impatient as apparently they won't book them until July (my cruise is October 4).  Is it stupid to book a flight you like, that can be cancelled, just in case.

I picked this flight for the short layover, but also because they are offering the Comfort+ Economy for $1,090 where all the other flights are in the $1,400 range.  I would also spend another $125 to make it refundable.  This way if I actually end up with decent flights through Viking I could cancel. My plan is to let Viking book my flight home, as I don’t really care on that one.

If you don't opt for Viking Air Plus when you are booking your cruise then you must wait until they book your flights.  (July expected date)

When your flights are populated in MVJ, then you have time before they are ticketed to look at alternate flights and even upgrades.

If you don't like what you see and you cannot alter to what you want, then you can add Air Plus and call and ask for the flights you want.

If you want to not deal with all this waiting, pay for Air Plus now and call and ask for the flights you want to be booked.  Note that the fights you want may not be inside Viking contract rates.

Also CDG - 1 hour 15 is NOT enough time.  If this is your first entry to Schengen then you will have passport control and security again. 

If your flight into CDG is on time, you may make it but if you are 20 minutes late leaving your home airport than you could be in trouble.

We personally do not book any connections in Europe less than 2.5 hours.   Our experience has proven that less time than this is dangerous.

Edited by CDNPolar

52 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

If you don't opt for Viking Air Plus when you are booking your cruise then you must wait until they book your flights.  (July expected date)

When your flights are populated in MVJ, then you have time before they are ticketed to look at alternate flights and even upgrades.

If you don't like what you see and you cannot alter to what you want, then you can add Air Plus and call and ask for the flights you want.

If you want to not deal with all this waiting, pay for Air Plus now and call and ask for the flights you want to be booked.  Note that the fights you want may not be inside Viking contract rates.

Also CDG - 1 hour 15 is NOT enough time.  If this is your first entry to Schengen then you will have passport control and security again. 

If your flight into CDG is on time, you may make it but if you are 20 minutes late leaving your home airport than you could be in trouble.

We personally do not book any connections in Europe less than 2.5 hours.   Our experience has proven that less time than this is dangerous.

Thank you!  I didn't realize I could do the Air Plus early.  I thought I had to wait until July.  

One last question.  Are flight upgrades available using the Air Plus.  I would at least like the next higher level up from the main cabin.  Obviously, I would pay for the upgrade.

14 minutes ago, JosieCat-MN said:

Thank you!  I didn't realize I could do the Air Plus early.  I thought I had to wait until July.  

One last question.  Are flight upgrades available using the Air Plus.  I would at least like the next higher level up from the main cabin.  Obviously, I would pay for the upgrade.

We often book our air 270-300 days out using Viking Air Plus.

We research the flights we want on GoogleFlights and then have a couple of options when we call.

Most of the time the flights we want are included in Viking contract rates as we fly from Toronto and most often we fly Star Alliance airlines which are typically in Viking contract rates.  Occasionally we have to make an adjustment like an upcoming flight where we fly Air Canada to the cruise but British Air home.  Both were acceptable to us.  If we wanted Air Canada on the return too, we could have had it for about $150 more pp.

Sometimes, but not always are upgrades available.  It depends on the contract rates.  If the contract rate is rock bottom then upgrades are not available.  Many airlines don't allow upgrades on the lowest fare paid.  We have successfully upgraded to Premium and Business with Viking but also had times when economy was the only choice.  Sometimes when it is not an option at booking it is available at the airport from the airline.

Viking Air Plus will tell you all this.  Typically now upgrade to Premium is about $1,200.00 pp which is about what it is for most online.

Some think that Viking are phasing out the Air Plus, but what has happened is now you can wait for your flights to be populated in MVJ, and then make your own changes inside the site, OR you can then add Air Plus.  The beauty of paying for Air Plus further in advance is schedules are more open.  Waiting until July to add Air Plus may not give you so many options.

You can also ask for flights to be ticketed as early as when you do full payment, but note that once flights are ticketed then any change incurs a change fee, but we do this because we are good with the flights and we just want to secure them.

• Like 1

First update your air preferences at MVJ (aisle, windows, etc) since Air+ agent sees.   I have successfully upgraded for extra fee 3x when using V air+ (and reserving months early for best seat choice).  Ask for quote on the upgrades but already know what $ range to expect.  After getting your airline locator code from Air+ agent, doublecheck/adjust the seat selection.

• Like 1