Viking Air

JosieCat-MN

On 7/14/2023 at 9:04 AM, JosieCat-MN said:

So, when do I have to decide?  I’m assuming I can still cancel Viking air at this point – or any point up to when I make my final payment which is the end of September – without have to worry about getting a credit.

Can I change my mind and book my own flights AFTER I see the flights they’ve given me.  I’m assuming that’s also when you would get Air Plus involved – if you don’t like the flights you’ve been assigned?

I get that booking Viking air offers a bit of protection in case of flight changes.  I’m just trying to make sure I know what my options are. 

Thanks everyone!!!

We just had our first experience with Viking Air, so hope this information helps you.

To answer your first question, you can cancel Viking Air at any point up to the final payment date.  We just did.

We had added Viking Air Plus to be able to travel early and to select our flights to Budapest and return from Bucharest at the 300-day mark (at the END of your cruise or tour).  I called Viking Air on that day and discussed the routes I wanted, starting with the only one-stop route available.  (Orlando has very limited non-stops to Europe and some are seasonal only.)  Viking wanted a $2K/pp supplement for the one-stop route.  All of the other--all two-stop--routes also carried upcharges of about $400/pp each.  The agent said it was "too early--flights were expensive."  I found this a strange answer as my experience tracking airfares over the past two years has seen prices only go up, but we decided to wait.

By chance, I checked My Viking Journey over the past weekend and found an air itinerary--there was no notification from Viking.  (Not sure if that is normal or not--again our first experience with Viking Air.)  The itinerary included two stops on both the outbound and inbound and did not include any of the routes I'd asked the agent about.  The inbound had a flight from Bucharest to AMS (with a 4 1/2-hour layover) then to London Heathrow with only a 95-minute layover--much too tight for my taste at that airport.

I had been tracking air options (Google Flights and Skyscanner are good ones to try), so I knew I could buy air on my own for about 2/3rds the price Viking was offering.  I really had been holding out only to see if they could offer the non-stop MCO to FRA to make a one-stop route for the quoted price.  Since they could not, I purchased air on my own and then had my TA call Viking to cancel the air.  A new invoice showing it removed showed up later in the day.

Viking only provides transfers from the airport when you fly in the same day as their program starts or ends.  So that part of the Viking Air would only apply to half of our travel in any case (we are flying out on the end day).  My experience (again, only once) with using air from a cruise line (Regent) is that they provide limited help in the case of flight issues.  We faced this last year when Hurricane Ian closed MCO the day we were to return from a British Isles cruise.  The cruise line could not fly us out until three days after the airport reopened as that was the first day they had contracted seats with the airline--although there were seats available on flights from the airline earlier.  The hotel nights, meals, and transportation to the airport while we waited for the flight were all at our expense.  I'm sure others have positive stories about help provided by using air booked through the cruise line, but this may or may not be your experience.  In the end, it is a personal decision based on how much you are willing to be responsible for travel and any potential problems and whether the savings (which could disappear if you do face problems) are worth it to you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, loriva said:

The cruise line could not fly us out until three days after the airport reopened as that was the first day they had contracted seats with the airline--although there were seats available on flights from the airline earlier. 

This is a point about cruise air that most people don't understand.  The cruise lines make all these vague promises about helping when it hits the fan, but in reality they will only help within the confines of their contracted seats.  IMO you are always better booking air on your own and keeping control.  Transfers too:  having a driver with your name at the airport is so much better than finding a cruise line 'vest' and waiting for the bus to fill up (and even more so if you are – smartly – flying in a day or 3 ahead of time, in which case you'll be on your own anyway).

• Like 1

So far this year I have sailed on both Viking (Germany and Hungary) and Princess (Italy and Greece) and used open jaw air from both cruise lines. Viking return flights were pretty terrible (three connections, three countries), the flights I chose with Princess were all non-stop. However, Viking gave me "free" air and I paid almost full-price for Princess air.

I think the difference between air purchased from Viking versus Princess, for example, is that Viking more or less controls the itinerary, because they are offering you such a competitive low price or "free" air, and they get low contracted space.  They will charge you more if you want to select your own flights, or if you have preferred carriers.

With Princess I selected my own itinerary, and I received a slight discount from what the airlines were offering as compared to if I were to book the flights on my own. We did both pre-and post-cruise stays, so we used taxis and shuttles with Princess. With Viking we arrived and departed according to the cruise dates (yes, crazy, but our work schedule was tight), and the bus transfers were wonderful.

It was fun to see all the combinations that the computers come up with as they search for bargain flights, so I suppose that AI has some kind of role in calculating costs and arranging schedules. It can be a bit overwhelming to search through the many flights and costs, so I can see why cruise passengers become frustrated. I do not necessarily think the cruise air agents are experts, or 100% focused on giving the passenger the best flights; instead, their role is to get you there but make sure the cruise company is still making a profit (or not taking a loss).

Air travel these days is a bit on the crazy side--even the airline staff do not always know what is happening--whenever possible splurge for non-stops if the flights are complex, or just pack your patience and be prepared for adventure! Purchase travel insurance, and bring a back-up credit card.

Yes, I would use Viking Air again if it were free or dirt-cheap, but if there are not savings I would book my own flights to have more priority and more control.

BTW, I just booked a Cunard cruise so I am going to check out their current air program--I remember when Cunard used to offer transatlantic return air for a small up-charge on the Concorde (which sadly, I never took as I was too cheap.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, loriva said:

To answer your first question, you can cancel Viking Air at any point up to the final payment date.  We just did.

So that translates to me being completely screwed?  I guess I booked my cruise too early.  My final payment date is the end of next month, when I'm not even sure flights for October of 2024 will be available.  Right now, Delta for example, is only showing dates going through July.  So it stands to reason that at best, next month they may go through August.

Nifty!

1 hour ago, JosieCat-MN said:

So that translates to me being completely screwed?  I guess I booked my cruise too early.  My final payment date is the end of next month, when I'm not even sure flights for October of 2024 will be available.  Right now, Delta for example, is only showing dates going through July.  So it stands to reason that at best, next month they may go through August.

Nifty!

Since Viking has such an early payment policy (until you've cruised with them and/or have another cruise on the books--which you can book currently for a $25 deposit--and then ask for a later payment date on the previously booked cruise), I'm not sure if they have a policy where a client can ADD air after the payment date.  We had to pay at the end of 2020 for our first cruise with Viking River in December 2022 (almost two years out).  As in your case, no flights were available to book at that time--airlines do not release flights until at most 360 days out.  So, there would seem like there would have to be some accommodation for this--but I don't know.

Again, what I related in my post is my first and only experience with Viking Air.  I hope some of the more-experienced Viking cruisers will weigh in on your question.  And, probably worth a call to Viking Air or an email to TellUs@Viking.com to ask and receive (I hope--answers can vary among agents) an official answer.

The good news in this is you are able to fly out of MSP.  As a major hub for Delta (which gobbled up Northwest Airlines many years ago), MSP seems to have good nonstop and one-stop availability to Europe (and Asia).  We travel frequently with my sister who flies out of MSP and she frequently has much-better connections--nonstop or one-stop flights that leave later and arrive earlier than ours while still having decent connection times on the latter.

Edited by loriva
Addition

I did call Viking and this is what I was told.  How accurate it is - is anyone's guess.

Once your Viking form is finished (mine isn't as I'm still waiting for my passport renewal), at any point, they can assign you to flights - which they will e-mail you.  Once you are 300 days out, then you can use the Air Plus to try to improve on those.

At 150 days out, those will show up on your My Viking Journey and you can make changes directly in there.  

But I was told that even after that point, if I absolutely hate them, I can cancel the flight portion and get that portion credited back (minus the Air Plus fee) and book my own.

Thanks everyone!

7 hours ago, loriva said:

Since Viking has such an early payment policy (until you've cruised with them

They sure didn't offer me this option on a recent attempt to book a second Viking Ocean cruise – even when I told their phone rep that I wasn't going to book with the terribly early FP date he mentioned.  No flexibility whatsoever – lost them a booking and all future interest from me!

3 hours ago, JosieCat-MN said:

I did call Viking and this is what I was told.  How accurate it is - is anyone's guess.

Once your Viking form is finished (mine isn't as I'm still waiting for my passport renewal), at any point, they can assign you to flights - which they will e-mail you.  Once you are 300 days out, then you can use the Air Plus to try to improve on those.

At 150 days out, those will show up on your My Viking Journey and you can make changes directly in there.  

But I was told that even after that point, if I absolutely hate them, I can cancel the flight portion and get that portion credited back (minus the Air Plus fee) and book my own.

Thanks everyone!

Not my experience--but that seems to be the norm, i.e., there is no norm!

I did not receive an email once flights were assigned (nor did my TA).  They just showed up in MVJ--and much earlier than 150 days out.

Good to hear you can cancel air even after final payment.  Viking removed all of our air-related charges--maybe because we just cancelled the flights and did not attempt to change them?

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

They sure didn't offer me this option on a recent attempt to book a second Viking Ocean cruise – even when I told their phone rep that I wasn't going to book with the terribly early FP date he mentioned.  No flexibility whatsoever – lost them a booking and all future interest from me!

So sorry to hear that.  As you know, many folks here report getting different answers from different agents.  But why should we have to do that?

Really looking forward to hearing your experience with the Scenic Unforgettable Douro cruise next month.  We are booked on AmaWaterways for the Douro at the end of a TA cruise in 2025 as they (and Viking) are the only ones offering 2025 dates yet.  Also hope that Scenic's IT and customer service have improved--we loved the Scenic experience onboard last year but it was painful getting there.   

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I'll get free air for 15 days Grand European.  I am waiting Viking to provide me the flight itinerary.  I understand that Viking can choose any airline.

When I log on My Viking Journey, Under the tab 'My Air', I can fill my airline frequent flyer number.

Should I provide my Air Canada frequent flyer number in case they chose Air Canada flight for me or don't bother.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, HSBC said:

I'll get free air for 15 days Grand European.  I am waiting Viking to provide me the flight itinerary.  I understand that Viking can choose any airline.

When I log on My Viking Journey, Under the tab 'My Air', I can fill my airline frequent flyer number.

Should I provide my Air Canada frequent flyer number in case they chose Air Canada flight for me or don't bother.

Thanks!

We use Viking Air when the air is free, and we have just booked our air for the 15 day Grand European leaving in November of this year.

We typically get either Air Canada, Lufthansa, or British Air when we fly through Viking. 

List all your possible frequent flyer numbers so you don't have to do that later.

We also typically do Air Plus which is $100 per person, but you can search and book the flights of your choice.

For us - November 2024 - we chose an AC direct non-stop to Amsterdam, and then on the return home a KLM from Budapest back to Amsterdam and AC from Amsterdam to Toronto.

We got the AC direct non-stop YYZ to AMS, but the KLM and AC BUD to YYZ were going to be $153 per person more as they were out of the contract rates.  To stay free, they booked us home on BA from BUD to LHR, and then BA from LHR to YYZ. 

We like BA so we were good with that.

Our flights are already booked and as soon as we do final payment we will ask the flights be ticketed - so 120 days out. 

In the mean time we watch them and if aircraft changes and our seats change, we can modify as we go.

We typically always book this far out as well - at least 270 to 300 days as it gives you the best options for routes, times, and connections.  If you leave it for Viking to do then you will see your flights 75-90 days out and then you have to deal with what you get and understand that based on booking class you might not have much option to change things.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

We use Viking Air when the air is free, and we have just booked our air for the 15 day Grand European leaving in November of this year.

We typically get either Air Canada, Lufthansa, or British Air when we fly through Viking. 

List all your possible frequent flyer numbers so you don't have to do that later.

We also typically do Air Plus which is $100 per person, but you can search and book the flights of your choice.

For us - November 2024 - we chose an AC direct non-stop to Amsterdam, and then on the return home a KLM from Budapest back to Amsterdam and AC from Amsterdam to Toronto.

We got the AC direct non-stop YYZ to AMS, but the KLM and AC BUD to YYZ were going to be $153 per person more as they were out of the contract rates.  To stay free, they booked us home on BA from BUD to LHR, and then BA from LHR to YYZ. 

We like BA so we were good with that.

Our flights are already booked and as soon as we do final payment we will ask the flights be ticketed - so 120 days out. 

In the mean time we watch them and if aircraft changes and our seats change, we can modify as we go.

We typically always book this far out as well - at least 270 to 300 days as it gives you the best options for routes, times, and connections.  If you leave it for Viking to do then you will see your flights 75-90 days out and then you have to deal with what you get and understand that based on booking class you might not have much option to change things.

CDNPolar,

Thanks for your detailed information.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, HSBC said:

CDNPolar,

Thanks for your detailed information.

You are welcome!  

We are not necessarily the "Expert of Record" for Viking Air Plus, but we have learned a lot of lessons over the years, and many will laugh at me but the air travel portion of my cruise is almost as important as the cruise.

I am very particular about the airline, the route, the flight times, the connection times, and the seats that we book.  I spend a lot of time on this portion of the trip.  I am not comfortable with the cruise line issuing me tickets that are a mystery until they pop into my email.

We are also very much about points and so we try to contain our flights to three groups, with a focus on Star Alliance.  Outside of Star Alliance, we fly Delta, KLM, or BA.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 5:33 AM, CDNPolar said:

We have always done this is the past, and have had very good luck getting what we wanted with no additional charge (except for Air Plus of course). Since we fly out of BWI whenever possible, we have routinely gone Baltimore to London to final destination through British Airways.

For our South of France river cruise this summer, everything was different. I knew that there was an itinerary that fit the bill, but I could see the price was more expensive than usual. Watching it over time provided no decrease. When I contacted Viking Air, they wanted to charge us an additional $600 per person for those flights. Since that was still well in advance, we held off, but prices never came down. 

When Viking finally sent us our flights, at first it seemed preposterous: fly from Baltimore to Detroit to Paris to Lyon. The return flights were the ones through Heathrow we would have chosen. Upon reflection, we decided to accept those outbound flights as well. Even though there are three flights instead of two, at least the flights begin in the morning, so we will be traveling at a time when our bodies are used to being awake. Total flying time is no longer than my original choice, because that one had an 8 hour layover in LHR and we would have wanted to book an airport hotel. Jet lag upon arrival will still be a problem, but at least we will avoid the torture of sitting upright in coach when my mind (body?) is consumed with thoughts that I should be sleeping.

Sorry, very longwinded way of saying flying after Covid is not what it used to be!

4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I am very particular about the airline, the route, the flight times, the connection times, and the seats that we book.  I spend a lot of time on this portion of the trip. 

AGREE   TIP:  I had a travel agent booking to gain OBC discount.  I knew the V 'free air' would not meet my standards so I included V air+ fee when depositing (which should be dropped at final if not used).   I called V Air+ 9 months ahead of sailing and negotiated, paying upcharges, for a) nonstop flts B) pre-cruise arrival date  c) Delta Comfort+ seats I had picked.(total $750 pp)

The V Air+ agent offered to take my Ccard for the air upcharges and I paid on the spot - these charges had some secondary effects on the overall booking cost (e.g. insurance, commission?) and necessitated some follow-on work and $ adjustment with my TA.

RECOMMENDATION: use the V air+ customization but have $  charges posted to booking so that TA handles any payments.  Happy Cruising

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

You are welcome!  

We are not necessarily the "Expert of Record" for Viking Air Plus, but we have learned a lot of lessons over the years, and many will laugh at me but the air travel portion of my cruise is almost as important as the cruise.

I am very particular about the airline, the route, the flight times, the connection times, and the seats that we book.  I spend a lot of time on this portion of the trip.  I am not comfortable with the cruise line issuing me tickets that are a mystery until they pop into my email.

We are also very much about points and so we try to contain our flights to three groups, with a focus on Star Alliance.  Outside of Star Alliance, we fly Delta, KLM, or BA.

CDNPolar,

We received our flight itinerary from Viking, we will arrive Budapest (BUD) about 10 in the morning, I think we can access the stateroom at about 3 p.m.

How long do we have to wait at the airport for Viking ground transfer?  After drop off our luggage at the Viking ship, can we leave the ship and come back after 3 p.m.

Do they provide lunch on Day one?

Since this will be my first River cruise, I have so many questions.

Thanks again!

31 minutes ago, HSBC said:

CDNPolar,

We received our flight itinerary from Viking, we will arrive Budapest (BUD) about 10 in the morning, I think we can access the stateroom at about 3 p.m.

How long do we have to wait at the airport for Viking ground transfer?  After drop off our luggage at the Viking ship, can we leave the ship and come back after 3 p.m.

Do they provide lunch on Day one?

Since this will be my first River cruise, I have so many questions.

Thanks again!

Since you have done your flights through Viking you have transfers included.  There will be a Viking Agent at the airport either at the luggage carousel, or just as you exit the luggage area.  Viking will send you special luggage tags - this is when you want to apply these.  (These are temporary ones that indicate your Viking cabin number)

Viking will take your luggage and take it to the cabin - you don't have to do anything with your luggage other than claim it at the airport.  If you don't want to deal with your carry ons then tag them as well and leave them with Viking.

Find your Viking Rep - always in Red and often more than one.

You will be taken to the ship pronto - we have never waited more than 20'ish minutes and it is always because they have several people to pick up.

You will typically board the ship at that point and you can go to the restaurant even if your cabin is not ready.  We went to the Guest Services desk and were issued a temporary card with the intended Cabin number on it and asked to keep that visible on the table wherever we were.

On our most recent River Cruise, we arrived about noon to the ship, we went into the restaurant.  I believe that it was a buffet offering.  Not a full typical lunch.  There was however hot and cold food options.  

After lunch we went up to the lounge and sat there and had a drink and met some folks.  Viking crew came looking for us as the cabins were ready and accompanied us to the cabin.

You could leave if you wanted, but probably better to just wait for your cabin...  We just wait on board.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Since you have done your flights through Viking you have transfers included.  There will be a Viking Agent at the airport either at the luggage carousel, or just as you exit the luggage area.  Viking will send you special luggage tags - this is when you want to apply these.  (These are temporary ones that indicate your Viking cabin number)

Viking will take your luggage and take it to the cabin - you don't have to do anything with your luggage other than claim it at the airport.  If you don't want to deal with your carry ons then tag them as well and leave them with Viking.

You will be taken to the ship pronto - we have never waited more than 20'ish minutes and it is always because they have several people to pick up.

You will typically board the ship at that point and you can go to the restaurant even if your cabin is not ready.  We went to the Guest Services desk and were issued a temporary card with the intended Cabin number on it and asked to keep that visible on the table wherever we were.

On our most recent River Cruise, we arrived about noon to the ship, we went into the restaurant.  I believe that it was a buffet offering.  Not a full typical lunch.  There was however hot and cold food options.  

After lunch we went up to the lounge and sat there and had a drink and met some folks.  Viking crew came looking for us as the cabins were ready and accompanied us to the cabin.

You could leave if you wanted, but probably better to just wait for your cabin...  We just wait on board.

CDNPolar,

You always provide useful information.

Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

In 2019 we were also sent, with our trip documents, gigantic red Viking stickers to put on our jackets, so that while we looked for the Viking reps, they kept their eyes open for folks wearing huge Viking logos.

I will post whether they still include those stickers or not when we get our materials for our early April tulip cruise.

• Thanks 1

One thing to be aware of with Budapest is that there are two different terminals, linked by a walkway.  While Im sure Viking will have this handled, make sure that they indicate if they are meeting passengers in both terminals and aren't expecting you to go to one or the other.

I only mention this because I had some miscommunication/bad info when I was last there last year  and ended up running around before finding my rep (this wasn't with Viking).

Not sure Ive seen passengers running around with viking stickers on the last few years though.

Edited by CastleCritic
  • Haha 1

On 2/23/2024 at 11:52 PM, HSBC said:

Thanks!

I wish Viking paid attention to a person’s preferred airline on MyVikingJourney. I just got flights for a May cruise and none of the flights are on United even though I listed it as my preference.  I went back and put in my frequent flyer numbers for Delta and Lufthansa, which they booked me on, but I have no status with either so none of the perks. It’s frustrating. 

12 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

In 2019 we were also sent, with our trip documents, gigantic red Viking stickers to put on our jackets, so that while we looked for the Viking reps, they kept their eyes open for folks wearing huge Viking logos.

I will post whether they still include those stickers or not when we get our materials for our early April tulip cruise.

We still get the red Viking stickers, but we don't put them on...  We scan the airport area while waiting for luggage and then on exiting the luggage hall for folks wearing RED  with clipboards and have always found them in the first 30-45 seconds.

Many folks do put on the stickers, but I kind of feel like I am on a school field trip and waiting for someone to pass me the rope to hold on to as we walk to the bus.

I feel that the Red Leather luggage tags that Viking send are enough.

12 hours ago, CastleCritic said:

One thing to be aware of with Budapest is that there are two different terminals, linked by a walkway.  While Im sure Viking will have this handled, make sure that they indicate if they are meeting passengers in both terminals and aren't expecting you to go to one or the other.

I only mention this because I had some miscommunication/bad info when I was last there last year  and ended up running around before finding my rep (this wasn't with Viking).

Not sure Ive seen passengers running around with viking stickers on the last few years though.

My suggestion would be that we have never had to move terminals, or go anywhere other than exit from where our luggage was claimed to find the Viking Rep. Viking will have a Rep to find you without you moving terminals.

5 hours ago, OffToSailTheWaters said:

I wish Viking paid attention to a person’s preferred airline on MyVikingJourney. I just got flights for a May cruise and none of the flights are on United even though I listed it as my preference.  I went back and put in my frequent flyer numbers for Delta and Lufthansa, which they booked me on, but I have no status with either so none of the perks. It’s frustrating. 

Viking book by contract so even though you provide your preferred airlines, that does not mean that you will get those airlines.

This is where Viking Air Plus comes in at $100.00 per person.

You can call Viking up to 300 days before and book your airline of choice - if it is on a contract rate - or given the opportunity to pay a bit extra for that airline if it is not in a contract rate.