OBSERVATIONS FROM THE POOP DECK JULY 16-23, 2023 SEASCAPE

morpheusofthesea

51 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Yes bubbly being provided, 3 kinds of nuts in sealed individual cans. 5565 guests this cruise. No head butler this sailing. 

I always stash a few cans of the Choco Nuts in my carry tote. DH loves those and they are no longer provided onboard. 😏 

• Like 1

Boarding start at 11:45 on board by 11:55. Lunch was packed as the One Pool Deck buffet was stifling hot. Did see about five guests lunching at buffet and 3 sun bathing by the pool. Went to see about our pergola/cabana. I was spotted by our room steward, Joel. This cruise he is back to being a pool attendant. He came right over to me and asked if I wanted the same cabana as last time. I said sure if possible. He said he would towel it up. He placed a reserved sign on the table and I tipped him $20.

Restaurant staff is the same. The famous Arthur is maitre ‘d, the same hostess, Azzyl with the memory for faces and our great waiter, Ray, who knew I liked Italian dressing on the side.

Met Andy and his wife and two kids standing in line at the white tent. Told us a story about the kind of service that “sold them” on Yacht Club. How the YC restaurant ran out of jelly or jam and their waiter got off the ship at the next port and went shopping for replacement jelly and jam for or them. These are the nice stories we love to hear. Thanks Andy.

• Like 3

This is different for logging into the internet in the YC. One must login with cabin # name and birth date. Choose the package one desires like two devices browse only(which is supposed to be included in the YC fare. Select. You will be charged the $370 going rate on your account. Then select upgrade to streaming for $70 for 2 devices.What is supposed to happen is the $370 will drop off and only the $70 charge will remain. Have to watch this closely as I did it for both DW and myself. Long line at concierge station with everyone afraid to have this $370 charged to their accounts, per person.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

First thing I tried when we got on board was our Key card over ride on the elevator to go up to deck 16. It was not working. Pressed it regular and got an elevator in 10 seconds, but this was before 5500 passengers boarded.

Some crew that finished their contracts the day of the port shutdown missed their flights like everyone else and had to remain on board for another week before they got flights arranged by MSC.

There were two showings of "Imagineocean" tonight in the Chora Theatre. Back in February it was not so good, so we did not bother repeating it on our June sailing, which was a mistake we learned tonight. MSC fired the entire cast in June and replaced everyone with this new cast of singers and dancers. Tonights performance was much more enjoyable. Thought the old cast was high school amateur. This group was much better. Sat through the entire performance. Look forward to seeing it again on a future cruise. Will make it a point of seeing all the Chora Theatre performances this cruise.

Started out the evening after dinner at Le Cabaret Rouge. Disappointed. The talented MC/singer Samulous is gone. His replacement is not as talented. The violinist is terrible. We got up and walked out. Will go back to see whatever else is offered tomorrow night, if anything Ocean Cay evening. Stopped by the Loft Cafe to catch the Jazz quartet but must have been on break. Went back to Loft Cafe again after the show and still on break. Decided we try to catch an elevator, any elevator going up. Every time DW tried 16 the elevator was not in service. A gentleman pressed 18 and it worked for him so we jumped in with him.

Cabin was ready when we boarded in YC. Cabins outside the YC there was an announcement were ready around 2 pm. Got to cabin and had to put an old key card into power switch to get lights and air conditioner going. The cabin was a bit warm. Both thermostats were adjusted to 5 blue lights which is the coolest settings. Leaving the old card in the power switch, when we got back to cabin this evening it was so cool we had to reduce the cooling to one blue light.

Noticed we had butter on our table when we sat down for lunch this afternoon. Also we had complimentary shampoo, conditioner, body wash and body lotion. This evening the steward had sprayed the cabin with a new MSC fragrance. Thought it was kind of woodsy.  Fragrance dissipated after 20 minutes, or we just got use to it.

7 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

First thing I tried when we got on board was our Key card over ride on the elevator to go up to deck 16. It was not working.

We were told that the 'Priority' YC elevator service for guests is turned off during major passenger movements like boarding, only the butler's overrides work at those times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mark_T said:

We were told that the 'Priority' YC elevator service for guests is turned off during major passenger movements like boarding, only the butler's overrides work at those times.

I guess they just forgot to turn it back on for the rest of the day and night.

I suppose everyone of us has a story that they love about MSC Yacht Club. Here is ours. No contact from MSC prior to embarkation about preferences, pillows, liquor choices, newspaper, etc. But when we walked into the cabin embarkation day we found these extra towels waiting for us. DW loves extra towels. It is the little details that one comes to appreciate from a cruise line. Helps to 'gloss over' having to climb the stairs after approaching the elevators and finding the key pad covered with a sign, "Closed for Maintenance". 

The treatment one receives on the ship is 180 degrees different than what receives on shore back home.

IMG_2919.jpg

IMG_2925.jpg

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 1

I see you have the Royal Suite. Have you been in the RS on Meraviglia? I just received an upgrade email and I'm sorely tempted to bid. I'm booked in the Duplex for Canada & NE in October. I'm trying to be logical about making a decision. We'd lose a bathroom, though that's not a huge deal. And considering it will be early to mid-October and the cabin is forward, how much will we really use the dining table on the balcony? But then there's the side of me that's distracted by shiny things:  "Ooooh, a dining table on the balcony! And if I won the bid, I'd be paying about$3,000 less than if I'd booked the RS to begin with!" 

9 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I was asked this question in June. Arthur will be on the Seascape through September.

I'm so happy about this. I've heard about Arthur since he was a waiter on, I think it was, Divina?  

3 hours ago, CTGirl74 said:

I see you have the Royal Suite. Have you been in the RS on Meraviglia? I just received an upgrade email and I'm sorely tempted to bid. I'm booked in the Duplex for Canada & NE in October. I'm trying to be logical about making a decision. We'd lose a bathroom, though that's not a huge deal. And considering it will be early to mid-October and the cabin is forward, how much will we really use the dining table on the balcony? But then there's the side of me that's distracted by shiny things:  "Ooooh, a dining table on the balcony! And if I won the bid, I'd be paying about$3,000 less than if I'd booked the RS to begin with!" 

Never sailed the Mera in any cabin. Maybe Andy can help as he has. I like the $3000 less part, and that alone would push me over the edge.

• Thanks 1

It's a beautiful day on Ocean Cay. Hot. Pebbly sand still at Ocean House beach. As I was walking around Ocean House counting the tables and chairs wondering how Explora Journey's intends to accommodate 755 passengers at Ocean House while it is a task at the present time accommodating 330 YC guests. 'Heard' that Ocean House will be reserved for guests residing only in the Residences is something to be reported and of interest to those waiting to sail some day on that cruise line. I was stopped by a staff employee at Ocean House that asked me if I was a Yacht Club guest because I was not wearing my wrist band. I showed him my key card and thanked him for asking. He said many are sneaking into the YC area. If we want the exclusivity to be maintained we must not get all 'bent out of shape' when questioned.

Find that I can not upload a single photo I took today on the island while back at the cabin. The ship must be saving money cutting back on the internet while docked here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I checked my account balance today and only found the $70 internet upgrade charged to the account. So far so good. Reminds me of the story of a little boy who encountered Walt Disney at his theme park one day. I do not recall the little boy's question, but the Walt Disney answer still resonates with me to this day. "You got to believe".

11 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"I do not recall the little boy's question, but the Walt Disney answer still resonates with me to this day. 'You got to believe.'"

I know that story. The incident occurred in late 1966.

The boy's question was, "Mr. Disney, do you honestly think being frozen in nitrogen and stashed under Cinderella's Castle is a plausible way to cheat death?"

🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, CTGirl74 said:

I've had the Royal Suite on Meraviglia. The hot tub on the balcony for that ship/class is better than the hot tub on the Royal Suite balcony for Seaside/Seaview or Seashore/Seascape. All RS hot tubs are better than the Duplex hot tub, though. You have 2 separate balconies on Meraviglia vs. 1 large one and you have 3 entrances to outside on Meraviglia vs 2.

The table on the balcony for Meraviglia is smaller than the table on Seaside, Seashore, and Seascape. The table on Seaview is smaller than the other 3 Sea**** ships and about the same size (different shape) as Meraviglia. We're a family of 4 but were still able to have breakfast on the balcony with Meraviglia. The extra space was missed compared to the Sea**** ships but nothing to complain about. 

I'll be trying my first Duplex Suite on World America so I don't dislike the Duplex Suites at all. I specifically chose the Duplex on World America because I wasn't happy with the balcony on the Royal Suite or the balcony on the Owner's Suite. With the Duplex Suite, there is more of an open feel (on the upper deck) vs. the Royal Suite and the Owner's Suite for World America. The Royal Suite on Meraviglia has the same problem so that could be the only negative, I guess. It isn't as "open" as the Royal Suite balcony on the Sea***** ships. The Owner's Suite on Seashore/Seascape also has an enclosed feel compared to the Royal Suite and once again, the hot tub on the Royal Suite is better vs. the Owner's Suite hot tub. The Owner's Suite wins on size and view for the interior, though. 

With your itinerary and time of the year, a more enclosed balcony might be better than an open one. 

When the Duplex Suite was upgraded from Aurea to Yacht Club, I considered changing to the Duplex. I was already booked in the RS but I thought that the extra bathroom would be a plus. After showing videos to the family, we decided that the RS was the better option. MSC raised the prices from the time that we booked to the time that the Duplex was upgraded so the price difference wasn't much. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I was stopped by a staff employee at Ocean House that asked me if I was a Yacht Club guest because I was not wearing my wrist band. I showed him my key card and thanked him for asking. He said many are sneaking into the YC area. If we want the exclusivity to be maintained we must not get all 'bent out of shape' when questioned.

Glad to hear they're checking. I'd be happy if they asked us.

• Like 1