OBSERVATIONS FROM THE POOP DECK JULY 16-23, 2023 SEASCAPE

morpheusofthesea

4 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Please see post #89 for pictures of this daily service.

Thanks, I quoted that post. Was more interested if the have a tea service. Where they bring you the tiered platters that have the scones and sandwiches on it.

Yacht Club Tipping - MSC Cruises - Cruise Critic Community

4 minutes ago, Hutcha said:

Thanks, I quoted that post. Was more interested if the have a tea service. Where they bring you the tiered platters that have the scones and sandwiches on it.

Yacht Club Tipping - MSC Cruises - Cruise Critic Community

That comes once a week. DW says it should be sea day Saturday. It was once held in the YC Restaurant, which was a big mistake, because guests loved it so much they refused to leave and the waiters could not prepare the restaurant for its 5:30 opening. Afraid the service does not come 'replete' with the dapper @no1talks ("the most interesting man in today's world").

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Slowly made our way back up the 10 flights of stairs stopping along the way to try the elevators on each deck getting the "unable to allocate" message on each deck. On occasion we would get elevator "B" 3 minutes to arrival. Waiting 3 minutes and witnessing the elevator pass us by without stopping (keep on eye on the center slit). The 3 minute wait gave us the rest we needed to climb another flight of stairs, as we were bypassed by many others doing the same thing in both directions. When we got back to the YC, we were greeted by our ever smiling personal butler (Andy told me "our" personal butler we had, he had as well, as well as 15 other cabins... he was amazed that we both had superior service despite having 17 cabins to service). Had a delightful chat with Andy and his wife in the TSL and they are a wealth of world travel information from such a young couple.

I had taken these photos earlier today having taken the aft (2) elevators up to deck 18 Marina Pool deck, then up one flight to 19 over to Top 19 Aurea section. Scanned our key cards to gain entry to the Aurea sun deck and then intoYacht Club area. (Andy said these aft (2) elevators only can be summoned by passengers going up). Andy went on to tell us that he heard from the pool attendant, that even a miserable weather day like today out on the YC One Pool Deck, the attendant caught 4 interlopers that gained access to the YC by way of the Aurea section up this stairway. Andy felt that there was a 'crack down' underway on interlopers in the Yacht Club. Welcome news indeed.

IMG_2947.jpg

IMG_2948.jpg

Reasonably certain I remember you saying you spoke to someone in authority on an earlier trip (can't remember which ship) about this flimsy little chain and how ineffective it is at keeping the interlopers at bay. 

Have you had the same conversation with anyone on this cruise?

22 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Reasonably certain I remember you saying you spoke to someone in authority on an earlier trip (can't remember which ship) about this flimsy little chain and how ineffective it is at keeping the interlopers at bay. 

Have you had the same conversation with anyone on this cruise?

No. It could be even this "flimsy little chain" is against fire safety codes. The only person in authority was an officer back in December who got the inside door lock on deck 19 repaired as it was broke since inaugural voyage in September 3 months until he had something done. One can not really tell who belongs and who doesn't belong. Some are super suspicious in their actions too. Like they are waiting for someone to confront them. DW witnessed a gentleman lift his two kids over a railing into the Aurea section instead of using his access card. He was wearing a wrist bracelet, but from a distance with poor eyesight and even up close we can't read a logo. Nor is it our place. But why not use his access accessories, unless he gave them to others to use ?

Edited by morpheusofthesea

Is there limited access to Top 19 on Seascape?  I know it is limited to Aurea, but is there a physical barrier that you need your card to access?  On Seaside in 2019 there was no physical barrier, just one of those movable tape thingies that they use at checkin, or at airports.  When in Ocho Rios I (Fantastica) was able to go around it and up to take pictures.  No one around, neither guests nor staff as they must have all been ashore.  I’ll be in Aurea for a short segment inAugust and try not to trespass into YC…. EM

• Haha 1

Well, we learned something very important today. With 98 % of the passengers off the ship the elevators are running as designed. Nothing wrong with them, except they still will not accept YC overrides. Took the elevators up three times and down. 5 seconds and 10 seconds and 30 seconds, all direct. The same elevators that will not work when the ship is full as it is. 

• Like 1

Here is today's line to get back on the ship Ocho Rios, Jamaica. All aboard at 3:15 pm. It was 3:15 when I shot this 19 second video. When is pier running not pier running? When there are 5000 of you at one time.

Tomorrow is Grand Cayman with tendering. The tenders will make it easier with 150 guest maximum per tender to process at one time for the ship. The waits on the pier will probably be just as long waiting for a tender to leave and another to dock.

4 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"Afraid the service does not come 'replete' with the dapper @no1talks ('the most interesting man in today's world')."

Morpheus, I thank you kindly, sir.

For those in YC who enjoy afternoon tea, it is not just available during the scheduled tea program. (Pictured.)

We make a point of informing our butler of our tea request, along with other wants, when first meeting the butler.

We've had afternoon tea every day, minus that of the Jamaican Deluge, storms so bad that many excursions not canceled from the start, were hours late to the ship.

The only differences from the once-a-cruise YC tea program are:

No loose tea, bags only.

No scones. 

The three-tiered tray is laden with an array of Top Sail nibbles.

A very pleasant way to relax after an excursion an before dinner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Why do so many pier runners have the same (stupid) giddy look on their face?

Why do people on the ship clap and cheer as the pier runner (gingerly) sashays to the ship?

Since we can't carry firearms, we should be allowed to throw things at these people. Food, dishes, silverware, furniture....whatever is nearby.

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952qbj5j2jxbrfu0jvuv

...If I'm the Captain....

There are 350 official paying Yacht Club guests on this week. 131 cabins double occupancy is 262 which is considered 100%? 
  Was told that Spring break had 370 in the YC. 
   The Chora Theatre production tonight is called “Let’s Dance “ packed house passengers sitting in the aisles. No security keeping the aisle clear. DW liked it I thought it was the ‘weakest’ production of the week.

7 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

131 cabins double occupancy

Only the Interiors are true doubles. Other rooms will hold four and five guests, due to sofas and ceiling drops. There could be quite a few more YCers, really.

I suppose there are many students in YC, because of school break, yes?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I have a few pages to catch up on as I have been traveling for work this week; can you hit me with a thumbs up, thumbs down, 1-5 currently? 

MSC sends out email surveys the week following the cruise (as you well know. Their scale is 1 to 10. It’s mid week and so far so good except for the elevators when the ship has passengers.Having sailed during Covid with only 800 passengers we were all spoiled rotten. I am going to walk around the ship and think a bit on your question.