OBSERVATIONS FROM THE POOP DECK JULY 16-23, 2023 SEASCAPE

morpheusofthesea

1 hour ago, travelwide said:

I have never seen the LCR this empty. Even when they first open. What time was this? 

Are you set to return in 3 weeks? Looking forward to another review. 🙂🥂🍾

This was just after the MC "TJ" did his introduction, then his two songs, followed by the violinist who performed 2 pieces, I started filming as he did his last number, "a prayer" (exactly what he needs).  We have never seen it so empty as well on a 5th night. Usually it looks like this on the first evening of the week.

Went to the matinee performance of Bruno Vincenza and the Jazz Trio in the Chora theatre for their "Sinatra Tribute". It was really nice with the digital backdrop display and for one number a lovely pair of romantic dancers. The group really should be in the Chora for 7:30 and 9:30 shows. Presently their tribute is packed in the Loft Cafe. Beni the cruise director said to the audience that the Loft Cafe was too small a venue whenever the group performed this tribute.  Unfortunately Beni is being transferred to the Seaside and a new CD is coming from Britain, new to MSC. After the show there was a meet and greet with the group and Beni. We just getting to love this new CD and he tells he is leaving the Seascape.

2 hours ago, travelwide said:

I have never seen the LCR this empty. Even when they first open. What time was this? 

Are you set to return in 3 weeks? Looking forward to another review. 🙂🥂🍾

Here is a 19 second video of the "Sinatra Tribute". 

DW says we are set to return in 2 weeks, hopefully... Thank you always for your kind words.

So to recap a new cruise director in 2 weeks. A new head butler this week. A new YC director in two weeks. No veteran waiters in the YC,  Maitre’d Arthur has been on for 5 months and has requested to leave in September but figures he will have no replacement til October but definitely wants to be home for Christmas.Hotel director Yannis K is leaving to bring the Seashore back to the Caribbean. “Times, they are a changing”.

Time to close out this thread. Bags are packed and outside our cabin door. Said goodbye at dinner to Andy and his lovely family, asking him to be a little lenient when he gets to reading these postings of mine. I mentioned to them a quote of Mark Twain's that "nothing spoils a good story more than the arrival of an eye witness." Thanks Andy.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

So to recap a new cruise director in 2 weeks. A new head butler this week. A new YC director in two weeks. No veteran waiters in the YC,  Maitre’d Arthur has been on for 5 months and has requested to leave in September but figures he will have no replacement til October but definitely wants to be home for Christmas.Hotel director Yannis K is leaving to bring the Seashore back to the Caribbean. “Times, they are a changing”.

I hope you can tell me if my memory is correct. When we fist started sailing MSC  in the Caribbean the officers were set up as a team. The HD had his YC Director  and they came and went on the same schedule. They were assigned to a ship. One example is HD Robert Moik as HD. Another HD was Gaetano. They rotated on the Miami runs.There was also YC directors Robbie and Robert. They served under Yannis.

It now appears that corporate draws straws as to who goes where. 

I like to know that every "x" months someone I know will be back at the helm on our Miami runs.

Who is going to be the new HD? Do you know where Robert Moik is?

Safe drive home.

39 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Time to close out this thread. Bags are packed and outside our cabin door. Said goodbye at dinner to Andy and his lovely family, asking him to be a little lenient when he gets to reading these postings of mine. I mentioned to them a quote of Mark Twain's that "nothing spoils a good story more than the arrival of an eye witness." Thanks Andy.

Thanks again for taking us along with you. Have a safe trip home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, travelwide said:

Who is going to be the new HD? Do you know where Robert

The only other item of interest told to us was that Robert B refuses to ever return to the Caribbean. That his sister is is HD over at RCCL and that he was expecting to be in the same position at MSC.

35 minutes ago, Nclcruise1415 said:

This was an incredible thread and very informational as we board the Seascape in roughly 100 days. Thank you for your time, your thoroughness and commitment to helping other make their cruise vacation the best one yet. Cheers! 

Morpheus, thanks for your wonderful reviews. We are learning a lot from them as DW and I are booked in our first YC experience on the same cruise Nclcruise1415 is sailing on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

P.S. Learned a new word this cruise. The ship "cleared" this morning at around 7:05 am. This can be sometimes earlier, sometimes later, all depending on the number of passengers called "Downliners". These are passengers that did not board the ship in Miami, they boarded the ship somewhere 'down the line' in our case either Jamaica, Grand Cayman or Cozumel. Customs and Border Protection wants to process all these passengers before anyone else is allowed off the ship. Then we all went through facial recognition and out the terminal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

P.S. Learned a new word this cruise. The ship "cleared" this morning at around 7:05 am. This can be sometimes earlier, sometimes later, all depending on the number of passengers called "Downliners". These are passengers that did not board the ship in Miami, they boarded the ship somewhere 'down the line' in our case either Jamaica, Grand Cayman or Cozumel. Customs and Border Protection wants to process all these passengers before anyone else is allowed off the ship. Then we all went through facial recognition and out the terminal.

Thank you and 👋🏻 till next time. 

• Thanks 1

Also beach wheel chairs available. Though getting an elevator down to deck 4 is a bigger challenge. Recommend getting up early 6 am to catch an elevator to deck 4 and waiting for the ship to clear, more interesting watching the behind the scenes 'flow' on deck 4 than watching passengers pile up waiting for an elevator complaining

IMG_2894.jpg

8 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Thanks. I feel I just have to take "pics and videos" to back up my observations. DW will not let me film "interlopers" being asked to leave.

Without DW's permission to video the interlopers, don't your worry about coming across as Gladys Kravitz, peering at the interlopers from behind the curtains?  😁☺️

image.jpeg.a676447f122d818db02b6a316640eedd.jpeg

Edited by JAGR
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, JAGR said:

Without DW's permission to video the interlopers, don't your worry about coming across as Gladys Kravitz?

image.jpeg.a676447f122d818db02b6a316640eedd.jpeg

I don't worry about anything much any more. DW complained to our doctor I can't hear any more. He told her I hear fine. I whispered it's 'selective'. 

• Haha 3

On 7/22/2023 at 4:35 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

Unfortunately Beni is being transferred to the Seaside

Thanks so much for providing so much great info about your holiday. Can you tell me more about Beni? We're on Seaside in early September and I don't recall seeing his name before. Is he a long time MSC YC Director?

1 hour ago, Best Cat Mom said:

Thanks so much for providing so much great info about your holiday. Can you tell me more about Beni? We're on Seaside in early September and I don't recall seeing his name before. Is he a long time MSC YC Director?

Your question prompted me to go back over the Daily Program to get the proper spelling of the Cruise Director's name. It's Bennie, from South Africa. He is brand new to MSC. Only been on a month and already being transferred. He comes out on stage doing a little jig and his introduction to the shows is a slow alligator clapping of hands from the audience that builds into a full blown applause.

14 minutes ago, Best Cat Mom said:

YC Director and maitre d'

Sorry. Bennie is Cruise Director. YC Director Taylan is going on vacation in one week, being replaced by someone, also brand new to MSC, from Romania (?). Will know more when we return (hopefully) in one week. Will report then. They can be very elusive and only show up at the meet and greets. My guess is because too many guests are asking for too many favors. (Like getting their friends and family members residing outside the YC into the YC for meals, drinks and pool deck).

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Thanks 1

On 7/19/2023 at 6:46 AM, morpheusofthesea said:

We have a new Head Butler on board. He is a 23 year veteran butler most of us have had recently and this is where MSC chooses to listen to our raves. They promoted Gusti to Head Butler. It is fitting really well, haven't seen him, still hiding behind the scenes?

Is this the same Gusti that is a skinny gentleman from Indonesia with a big smile? Just saw him on Divina in Europe a month ago in June. Met him for the first time on Seaside and then he was on Seaview last year.