Smoked Meat in Montreal

Carolfay

I've been reading and enjoying "The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz," and I'm really getting hungry for some of that smoked meat he enjoys so much.  Any suggestions as to where I can find the best when I'm in Montreal?

2 hours ago, Carolfay said:

I've been reading and enjoying "The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz," and I'm really getting hungry for some of that smoked meat he enjoys so much.  Any suggestions as to where I can find the best when I'm in Montreal?

IMO, Schwartz's is the place to go in Montreal for smoked meat just as Katz's is the place to go in New York for pastrami.

Other places may have smoked meat that's just as good, but Schwartz's is iconic.

• Like 3

Schwartz's is my default and I used to try to go there every time when I was in town.  It's in a reasonably convenient part of town for a tourist IMO.  

However, on my last trip in 2021, my Montreal based manager took me to Snowden Deli.  Loved it.  Moist smoked meat with an added bonus of having many of the favs you'd find in a Jewish deli.  The decor has a bit of an 80's vibe to it though.  It's kind of away from the normal tourist areas other than being somewhat close to Saint Joseph's Oratory but it is close to a metro station.  Lucas Peterson did a segment on it for Eater's Dining on a Dime series if you want a bit of a visual.

Next time I'm in Montreal, I'll probably visit both.  😄

• Like 1

It is true that Schwartz's is iconic, but do note that the sandwiches are not overstuffed as in New York (and also don't buy the line that "it's like pastrami"). The deli is located right on the Main (boulevard St-Laurent) at rue Napoléon. If you're looking for other kosher items, then don't miss out on bagels from St-Viateur. Or if you're just seeking iconic food items, then keep in mind that just a few blocks from Schwartz's you can find Au Pied de Cochon (not kosher at all!).

6 hours ago, GTJ said:

It is true that Schwartz's is iconic, but do note that the sandwiches are not overstuffed as in New York (and also don't buy the line that "it's like pastrami"). The deli is located right on the Main (boulevard St-Laurent) at rue Napoléon. If you're looking for other kosher items, then don't miss out on bagels from St-Viateur. Or if you're just seeking iconic food items, then keep in mind that just a few blocks from Schwartz's you can find Au Pied de Cochon (not kosher at all!).

Just to be clear, Schwartz's is not kosher. A kosher deli could not serve poutine, which has cheese curds, as mest and dairy can't be eaten together. 

For that matter, Katz's isn't kosher either.

Even if they didn't serve dairy products or any specifically prohibited foods such as pork a restaurant can't be kosher unless it's under rabbinical supervision.  It would be "kosher style ".

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

Agree with everything that's been said here about Schwartz's-- its always a stop for us when in Montreal. What I would add is that try and show up at off peak times as there can be a considerable line. The line moves pretty quickly, surprisingly quickly given the amount of people. But we've always found showing up at 11am or after 2pm, and avoiding the lunch rush, its a better experience. 

5 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Just to be clear, Schwartz's is not kosher.

I did not realize that! In my mind I envision Jewish delis being defined as such, but not being Jewish I have not been explicitly attuned to the applicable rules. So that leaves open the question of good kosher delis. Maybe Deli 365?

17 hours ago, Carolfay said:

Excellent information and suggestions.  Thanks, folks!  (There may be a bagel in my future, too.)

You can't go wrong with Montreal bagels. They're iconic for a reason (and there's a reason that anyone who is coming to Toronto from Montreal is generally asked to bring home a few dozen for their friends.) 

• Like 1