Celebrity and Celiac/Gluten Free

sbaker

We recently booked a cruise on Eclipse for October.  This will be our first experience with Celebrity.  For those of you with knoweldge and experience, how is Celebrity at accommodating guests with celiac?  Are gluten free options readily available without fear of cross contaminaiton? 

There are a few discussions you can find through search also.  My friend has been on multiple lines.  It’s often see the menu the day before and choose.  She wasn’t always happy because she said they would offer something like fish and vegetables.  I am NOT saying this is typical.

I  suggest you contact Celebrity and tell them.. There is a form you can fill out so they have a heads up.  We know a traveller with gluten issues and NP 

If you are eating in the OceanView Cafe, scope out the floor manager or head chef.  Same thing with the manager of the MDR, or if you are in Aqua, or Retreat, just double check that they know

Tip.  I am anaphylactic and made an index card with my allergy, laminated it, stick name and cabin number  on it. When we dine, I can hand it to the server to take to the kitchen just as a reminder 

You can ask for the next days menu and pre order    

Celebrity has  100% looked after my allergy.     

• Like 4

I also have to eat gluten free and have done what others have said.  Personally, I don’t find Celebrity very helpful.  I look at menu night before and most times they say they can’t make what I want gluten free.  This happened with lamb.  The gluten free cakes are horrible.  GF pasta is good.  The gelato is not gluten feee.

I bring my own crackers and bagels with me as they do not have them.  I send the special needs form 30 days before my sailing but don’t think anyone looks at it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kat915 said:

In the buffet, most food has labels of gluten free etc.  You need to ask for gluten free bread. You can pre-order your food in the main dining room. 

I would avoid the buffet.  Too much risk of cross contamination from fellow passengers switching out serving utensils.

There is a gluten free section (& deserts) in OV but you need to be super vigilant due to others. I’ve always been accommodated well with gf bread. I occasionally choose the day before but not always. There is usually something I like or that can be adapted. 

We were on RCCL last July, my grandson has Celiac.  Our travel agent contacted the cruise line and also told us to see head waiter once we get to the ship.  Our experience was very positive.  The first day was iffy, but after that it was fantastic.  As others said he received menu for next night to choose his meal.  They said anything can be made gluten free as long as they are aware ahead of time.  Also in the buffet, always contacted a chef that made gluten free food, this was in addition to what was already there and listed as gluten free.  Hopefully Celebrity is as good as RCCL.

We sailed on Equinox late June and I had a mixed experience with GF offerings. You can order ahead in the MDR, but there were literally only 3 options - steak, chicken, or salmon. The food was overcooked, dry and seemed like it had been under a heat lamp for hours. They offered bread, but it was dried out GF sandwich bread that was not worth the calories. In the OV cafe, GF options are noted clearly and there was a decent selection. I was worried about cross contamination, but did fine.  Food in the specialty restaurants tasted much better, but I was apparently gluten-ed at Tuscan grill because I was very ill after the meal (others in party of 10 were fine so I think it was gluten). For lunch, I liked some of the GF options at the spa cafe. Overall, I was disappointed in the food. The good news is that I did not gain weight on the trip!

• Like 2

Currently on the Apex and very happy with the GF options after four weeks of land travel where it was often difficult to find.

The OV has been great for breakfast and some dinners. Everything is clearly labelled and there is also a  gluten free area as well. I was assured that separate implements were being used to serve the food. Plenty of options for mains and desserts. The ice cream and gelato is also labelled GF. They don’t have GF cereal though, anticipating this I brought my own.

The MDR’s have fewer options. I haven’t specifically asked ahead of time for any GF modifications. I filled out a special needs form before the cruise and found waitstaff were aware when we arrived for our bookings. 

Our nicest meal was at Eden. Superb food, all GF.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lovethegators said:

We sailed on Equinox late June and I had a mixed experience with GF offerings. You can order ahead in the MDR, but there were literally only 3 options - steak, chicken, or salmon. The food was overcooked, dry and seemed like it had been under a heat lamp for hours. They offered bread, but it was dried out GF sandwich bread that was not worth the calories. In the OV cafe, GF options are noted clearly and there was a decent selection. I was worried about cross contamination, but did fine.  Food in the specialty restaurants tasted much better, but I was apparently gluten-ed at Tuscan grill because I was very ill after the meal (others in party of 10 were fine so I think it was gluten). For lunch, I liked some of the GF options at the spa cafe. Overall, I was disappointed in the food. The good news is that I did not gain weight on the trip!

I could have written this.  I still choose to cruise Celebrity because I receive a lot of comped goodies, but their MDR gluten-free options are boring and lately, they haven't tasted very good with some qualifying as downright awful.  It repeatedly sounds as if the food on E-class ships is better overall but unfortunately, I'm not a fan of infinite verandas.  My future cruises, except for a November TA on M-class, will be on S-class, specifically Silhouette; the specialties and its extra of the Lawn Club Grill are the draw for me.  For a 13-night cruise next year, I've already purchased 10 nights in specialties (super Memorial Day sale price).  The other three nights will be OVC with gluten-free pasta or stir fry.  My cruise fare for V2 veranda was quite reasonable and for just an additional ~$350, I'm pretty sure I'll have decent dinners for a change.  BTW, when I've had gluten issues with a specialty restaurant, it's always been Tuscan.

3 hours ago, Boatharbour said:

Currently on the Apex and very happy with the GF options after four weeks of land travel where it was often difficult to find.

The OV has been great for breakfast and some dinners. Everything is clearly labelled and there is also a  gluten free area as well. I was assured that separate implements were being used to serve the food. Plenty of options for mains and desserts. The ice cream and gelato is also labelled GF. They don’t have GF cereal though, anticipating this I brought my own.

The MDR’s have fewer options. I haven’t specifically asked ahead of time for any GF modifications. I filled out a special needs form before the cruise and found waitstaff were aware when we arrived for our bookings. 

Our nicest meal was at Eden. Superb food, all GF.  

I was told the gelato on the Equinox was not gluten free!  GF desserts are good?  The wet, spongy cakes are gone?  Sounds more promising for our September cruise than last years cruise.  I always bring my own gf crackers and bagels.

9 hours ago, lovethegators said:

Ugh! I will be a first time Celebrity cruiser in September on Equinox (barring any hurricanes). Not thrilled to see this. I know to bring some bars and snacks with me on any vacation; but it sounds like I'll have to take extra this time. I was really hoping that Celebrity would handle this better than some of the other lines. 😞

23 minutes ago, brandy4598 said:

Ugh! I will be a first time Celebrity cruiser in September on Equinox (barring any hurricanes). Not thrilled to see this. I know to bring some bars and snacks with me on any vacation; but it sounds like I'll have to take extra this time. I was really hoping that Celebrity would handle this better than some of the other lines. 😞

We will also be on Equinox in September.  It will be our 7 th cruise on Equinox and I have been gf for all of them.  You will find enough good gf food.  As stated the bread is not very good but I’m not a big bread eater.  I also was glutened in Tuscan several years ago.  Murano is excellent and many choices are gf.  The Spa Cafe also has several gf choices including good cookies.  The buffet is clearly marked as to food allergies.  The gf pizza is so so.  The gf pasta, sauce and meatballs is very good.  They will walk around with you and help you.  The gf cakes lately have been terrible but my husband says same about regular cakes.  Cafe Al Bacio will have gf muffins in the morning sometimes macaroons in afternoon.  We usually eat lunch in Sushi on 5 and they have gf soy sauce.  

I do bring my own crackers for cheese and crackers.  Also, bring my own bagels for breakfast.  You can also look at dining menus night before and if there is something you want they will modify it if they can.  

submit the special needs form about 30 days before your cruise.  

• Like 1

The sorbettos are gluten free but not the gelato, at least on all the Celebrity ships I've sailed.  The ice cream is safe, though.  If you have a drink package, a dessert option is to grab a shot of a liqueur (cream de menthe, Kahlua, etc) on your way to dinner and then pour it over ice cream for a high-test, gluten-free sundae.  One of my favorites. 

• Like 2

I had a very positive experience on the Reflection in January. We were in the Aqua class rooms and the Matre d there was wonderful. He always asked me the night before what I would like to eat and managed to surprise me a couple of times with a dessert that I didn't expect.  The OVC manager made sure my omelets were made in a clean pan and told the cooks that I was celiac so that the utensils were changed. They make your pizza in separate pan so you have to wait for it (but I was happy that they were careful).  Our experience on the Rooftop garden grill was amazing. They brought me creme brule from the main dining room, made a gluten free flatbread and the waiter even told my husband to keep his "gluten fingers" off my food. I accidentally gluten myself really by not being clear to the chef about what pasta sauce I wanted on my gluten free pasta. Without thinking, I picked off the meatballs and ate the pasta (rookie mistake) about halfway through I was shaking my head over how stupid I had been. 

I thought the desserts were pretty good and the Cafe el Bacio's coconut macaroons are amazing and worth waiting for if no other desserts look good.

I think if you are clear to the server and the Matre d you can do very well without getting glutened.

Oh, there are separate gluten free toasters for toast in the AM.

I also brought gluten free oatmeal packets for breakfast. You can add fruit, nuts, etc to jazz it up. I also brought a couple of bagels but didn't really feel like I needed them.

3 hours ago, bjahil47 said:

I was told the gelato on the Equinox was not gluten free!  GF desserts are good?  The wet, spongy cakes are gone?  Sounds more promising for our September cruise than last years cruise.  I always bring my own gf crackers and bagels.

Everything that was in the ice cream / gelato cabinet in OV yesterday was GF. The ice cream is good btw.

The desserts have been pretty good too. The first few days there was more variety, yesterday only two mousse type options. I don’t like the “danish “ options though for breakfast.

This might only apply to those with Gluten intolerances ( not celiacs), but European wheat is different to that in the US and Australia. It’s soft wheat which contains less gluten. I have been able to eat some wheat products without any symptoms ( we’re on a Baltic cruise). Not suggesting anyone tries it though as it was an accidental ingestion to begin with. 

We spent four weeks travelling in Europe before boarding and it was often a struggle to find or work out GF options. The fall back was a salad which happened to often unless you’re a rabbit! It has been a relief to board Apex and have so many options available. 

46 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

43 minutes ago, mtnlvr53 said:

I had a very positive experience on the Reflection in January. We were in the Aqua class rooms and the Matre d there was wonderful. He always asked me the night before what I would like to eat and managed to surprise me a couple of times with a dessert that I didn't expect.  The OVC manager made sure my omelets were made in a clean pan and told the cooks that I was celiac so that the utensils were changed. They make your pizza in separate pan so you have to wait for it (but I was happy that they were careful).  Our experience on the Rooftop garden grill was amazing. They brought me creme brule from the main dining room, made a gluten free flatbread and the waiter even told my husband to keep his "gluten fingers" off my food. I accidentally gluten myself really by not being clear to the chef about what pasta sauce I wanted on my gluten free pasta. Without thinking, I picked off the meatballs and ate the pasta (rookie mistake) about halfway through I was shaking my head over how stupid I had been. 

I thought the desserts were pretty good and the Cafe el Bacio's coconut macaroons are amazing and worth waiting for if no other desserts look good.

I think if you are clear to the server and the Matre d you can do very well without getting glutened.

Oh, there are separate gluten free toasters for toast in the AM.

I also brought gluten free oatmeal packets for breakfast. You can add fruit, nuts, etc to jazz it up. I also brought a couple of bagels but didn't really feel like I needed them.

The meatballs are gluten, or at least they were in October!  

4 minutes ago, Boatharbour said:

Everything that was in the ice cream / gelato cabinet in OV yesterday was GF. The ice cream is good btw.

The desserts have been pretty good too. The first few days there was more variety, yesterday only two mousse type options. I don’t like the “danish “ options though for breakfast.

This might only apply to those with Gluten intolerances ( not celiacs), but European wheat is different to that in the US and Australia. It’s soft wheat which contains less gluten. I have been able to eat some wheat products without any symptoms ( we’re on a Baltic cruise). Not suggesting anyone tries it though as it was an accidental ingestion to begin with. 

We spent four weeks travelling in Europe before boarding and it was often a struggle to find or work out GF options. The fall back was a salad which happened to often unless you’re a rabbit! It has been a relief to board Apex and have so many options available. 

The ice cream is gf.  I was told the gelato at the Gelateria is not gf.  I researched and it could have gluten in it so I stay away from it.  The French fries in Luminae are coated and are not gf but I heard you can get gf fries and burgers at mast grill.  Macarons and macaroons are gf.  I usually ask for them to make me macaroons If I don’t see them out.  They bring them to my room and last until end of cruise.

• Like 1

The ice cream is made from scratch.  The gelato is from a base they buy that is not gluten free (more than trace).  If you have celiac, that matters.  Maybe they've bought a new brand but because I have celiac, no way I'd chance gelato until I'd verified with Food & Beverage Mgr. 

7 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

The sorbettos are gluten free but not the gelato, at least on all the Celebrity ships I've sailed.  The ice cream is safe, though.  If you have a drink package, a dessert option is to grab a shot of a liqueur (cream de menthe, Kahlua, etc) on your way to dinner and then pour it over ice cream for a high-test, gluten-free sundae.  One of my favorites. 

I wonder what they putting in the gelato ?

My wife makes gelato and it is anti gluten, my wife thinks the mix could be coming from factories that are not certified anti gluten, so it could have trace elements of gluten products 

Also their gelato isn’t that good anyway , haven’t gotten the free scope for years 

just read your post #20 Ruth 😁

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer

I was on the Eclipse in both January and April this year.  I can't have lactose as well as being Celiac.
On our first day for both cruises we went straight to the MDR on boarding and I ordered my meal for that night, however in April, they had recognised me and knew that I had food allergies just not what.
Every night I ordered from the next night's menu.  There were only a couple of things that they wouldn't give me.  They didn't trust the sauce for the seafood cocktail as that was pre-made and not made onboard so they wouldn't let me have it.  There was pre-made ravioli as well from memory so that was off the menu, but almost everything else was made GF and LF.  Every night I had a special dessert.  My two favourite's were a creme brulee that was made LF, and a flourless chocolate cake.

I agree about the bread situation.  The only time I liked it was when it was toasted, but then again I'm not fond of most GF breads.

In the buffet things were marked as GF but I made sure I confirmed before I took any.  Again, the waitstaff recognised me in the buffet and were very good at letting me know what I could and couldn't have.

12 hours ago, bjahil47 said:

The meatballs are gluten, or at least they were in October!  

Yeah, I know: totally my fault. I asked for a gluten free sauce and he pointed to the meatball sauce and I think it was just a miscommunication. MY fault for thinking 'oh, I;ll just pick off the meatballs". I clearly wasn't thinking but I did it and paid the price. Just stupid on my part because I know better-maybe vacation brain?

1 hour ago, mtnlvr53 said:

Yeah, I know: totally my fault. I asked for a gluten free sauce and he pointed to the meatball sauce and I think it was just a miscommunication. MY fault for thinking 'oh, I;ll just pick off the meatballs". I clearly wasn't thinking but I did it and paid the price. Just stupid on my part because I know better-maybe vacation brain?

I meant to say the meatballs are gluten free!  If it bothered you maybe it was cross contaminated with something gluten.  I have had the gf pasta, meat sauce and meatballs on a few cruises and I have not gotten sick.  Sorry you had a bad experience 

6 hours ago, bjahil47 said:

I meant to say the meatballs are gluten free!  If it bothered you maybe it was cross contaminated with something gluten.  I have had the gf pasta, meat sauce and meatballs on a few cruises and I have not gotten sick.  Sorry you had a bad experience 

Really? Wonder what else I could have gotten into. I'll have to be sure to ask about them on our next cruise. I like meatballs :)!