Electrical Devices

MoBro713

As long as the hair care appliances don't wear jeans, ball caps or tennis shoes in the restaurant, Manfredi's or chef's table for dinner, I'm down with it. Oh, I forgot robes. 😜

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, ropomo said:

As long as the hair care appliances don't wear jeans, ball caps or tennis shoes in the restaurant, Manfredi's or chef's table for dinner, I'm down with it. Oh, I forgot robes. 😜

If I can't take my hair care appliances, I'll be wearing a ball cap everywhere.  

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

And that's exactly why the cruise ships don't want you to bring your own curling iron, hair dryer, iron, or other electric appliances. Since they scan all of your luggage before you board, I hope they're taking away these things, and returning them to passengers at the end of the cruise (if they can still find them 😊).

That is not why they "don't want you to bring your own", because you could just as easily plug the ship supplied hair dryer into this outlet and blow the fuse.  Hair care appliances have always been the exceptions to the ban on "heat producing" items, and nearly every line allows them, certainly curling irons and straighteners, even if they provide a dryer.

• Thanks 1

On 7/20/2023 at 6:59 PM, FlyerTalker said:

The outlet in the bathroom is low power.  Any kind of "hair" device there would overload the circuit.

All outlets are not created the same.  Be it A/C power or USB power.

And that's why they don't want passengers to bring their own heat producing electrical devices onboard.

16 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

That is not why they "don't want you to bring your own", because you could just as easily plug the ship supplied hair dryer into this outlet and blow the fuse.  Hair care appliances have always been the exceptions to the ban on "heat producing" items, and nearly every line allows them, certainly curling irons and straighteners, even if they provide a dryer.

Which cruise lines have you seen that documents that "heat producing" hair care appliances are exceptions to bringing "heat producing" devices onboard?  That's not what our experience has been on the cruise lines we've cruised on. Curling irons were never an exception on the cruises we've taken, and I never missed taking it. They provide a dryer that they know will work safely with their outlets.

But when someone asks what does it mean if there's one wide prong an appliance rather than 2 narrow prongs, then they should not be bringing their own "heat producing" appliances.

As for all of those who think their jokes about their "heat producing" appliances, and wearing jeans or ballcaps, I'm sure you would not find an electrical fire onboard your ship at sea to be a funny situation. People still try to bring candles onboard to freshen the smell in their cabin even though they're not allowed. Accidentally leaving a curling iron on in your cabin is even more likely than accidentally leaving a candle lit, and just as dangerous. Hopefully Viking Ocean checks the contents of all bags coming onboard to ensure unsafe items are not being brought onboard. All of the cruises we've taken this year and last have done that.

15 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

Which cruise lines have you seen that documents that "heat producing" hair care appliances are exceptions to bringing "heat producing" devices onboard?  That's not what our experience has been on the cruise lines we've cruised on. Curling irons were never an exception on the cruises we've taken, and I never missed taking it. They provide a dryer that they know will work safely with their outlets.

But when someone asks what does it mean if there's one wide prong an appliance rather than 2 narrow prongs, then they should not be bringing their own "heat producing" appliances.

As for all of those who think their jokes about their "heat producing" appliances, and wearing jeans or ballcaps, I'm sure you would not find an electrical fire onboard your ship at sea to be a funny situation. People still try to bring candles onboard to freshen the smell in their cabin even though they're not allowed. Accidentally leaving a curling iron on in your cabin is even more likely than accidentally leaving a candle lit, and just as dangerous. Hopefully Viking Ocean checks the contents of all bags coming onboard to ensure unsafe items are not being brought onboard. All of the cruises we've taken this year and last have done that.

To provide some perspective @chengkp75, although now retired, he has served as Chief Engineer on cruise ships. Therefore, he is the resident expert on this subject matter and will be the onboard authority who determines which electrical devices, brought aboard by pax, can be safely used onboard.

As Chief Engineer, he is responsible for reviewing and recommending any changes to the company policy for all things pertaining to the Engineering Dept and other areas of the vessel.

• Like 3

From NCL's Guest Conduct Policy:

"Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed and may require a converter."

From RCI's FAQ:

"(Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense, and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy is curling irons and hair straighteners."

From HAL's prohibited item list:

"

• Personal grooming devices such as hair dryers, flat irons, curling irons, shavers, and other electrical devices, such as fans (no larger than 12" in diameter), power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed when used with proper caution.  However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned on debarkation morning"

Shall I go on?

• Like 4

9 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

Are you saying that not knowing why plugs are polarized should prohibit people from brining a hair dryer, while those who do know why are okay to bring theirs?  FlyerTalker was noting the lack of polarization on the outlet in the bathroom because, in the US, only low wattage devices are allowed to have non-polarized plugs.

Again, as for why the bathroom plug is low wattage (and I still don't understand your logic, since if someone's dryer would be dangerous onboard, then it would be just as dangerous plugged into the regular outlet in the cabin, but maybe I'm missing something), this is a cheap and quick way to protect people from electrical shock in a wet environment (over the sink, where electricity and water are in close proximity), without using a GFCI, as is required in your home.

• Like 2

I think I may have been the original person who wrote about "different sized prongs". I didn't call them polarized - and then this thread went the way of so many online forums into what I view as snarky comments. The fact that I didn't say polarized doesn't mean I don't know how to properly and safely use a curling iron. This will be my first Viking cruise and these types of comments make me frankly just a bit less optimistic about the people I might meet onboard. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, calvin81 said:

I think I may have been the original person who wrote about "different sized prongs". I didn't call them polarized - and then this thread went the way of so many online forums into what I view as snarky comments. The fact that I didn't say polarized doesn't mean I don't know how to properly and safely use a curling iron. This will be my first Viking cruise and these types of comments make me frankly just a bit less optimistic about the people I might meet onboard. 

I suggest you might want to take some time reading post in other cruise line's forums here on CC if you think any and all snarkiness is unique to Viking. 

47 minutes ago, calvin81 said:

I know it's not just Viking - everywhere online. Left Facebook; hope I don't have to leave this forum.

Someone will hit me up for this comment, but you just have to let what you perceive to be snarky roll off...

Text based communication is so often mis-interpreted and it is part of being in these forums.

I piss people off on a regular basis and I get "snarky" comments back and life goes on.

Take everything at face value and not so personally.

What it comes down to is what value is this forum to you?  That only you can decide.  Leaving the forum does not impact or hurt anyone other than yourself if there could otherwise be value to you.

I agree with leaving facebook, but CC has a very specific purpose and there is MUCH knowledge on this site that I for one will stick around for.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2023 at 5:25 PM, millybess said:

Wow!  What's your beef with this?  If you look at allowable items, curling irons is on the list. And, no, they don't confiscate these items.  In your case it's not thread drift, it's thread unread.  

You're ok.   Just don't let anybody talk you into disassembly of the curling iron to inspect the components, that usually happens next in these type of threads,

It's just normal thread drill down,  thats all.