Stateroom Capacity - I'm Confused!

scohen84

Looking to book a trip next summer on Discovery Princess. We are 6 people, 2 adults with 2 small kids (5 and 7) and 2 grandparents.

Originally I was looking at a mini-suite for the 4 of us and a regular balcony for the grandparents.

Now that I am looking more closely, I see there are literally zero (not on my cruise, just period) Reserve Mini-Suites that hold 4 people. But there are many that hold 3. What is the physical difference between a stateroom that holds 3 versus 4 people?

Theoretically, if I booked two Reserve Mini-Suites for the 6 of us, with 2 adults and 1 kid in each stateroom, could the 2 kids physically stay on the pull-out sofa in our mini-suite instead of with grandparents? My kids have shared a double bed before, not worried about them not having enough space on a pull-out (as opposed to a Pullman).

What am I missing?

The sofa bed converts into a twin mattress in a Mini-Suite on Royal Class ships.  The person sleeping there lies parallel to the wall, not perpendicular.  Most mini suites only hold 3 people.

The bed for the 4th person is a twin pullman coming from the ceiling above the sofa.  Not all mini-suites have this feature.

See post below for pictures.

1 minute ago, CruisingJs said:

See if there is a family suite available in your cruise.  That will sleep 6 and gets all of the benefits of a full suite.  It is basically two cabins joined with a common area in the middle.

I was hoping for that, don't see anything like that on Discovery Princess. Even the Sky Suite only hold 5...

14 minutes ago, scohen84 said:

I was hoping for that, don't see anything like that on Discovery Princess. Even the Sky Suite only hold 5...

You might have to call and ask.  They aren’t listed like normal cabins for some reason.

Only a few (9 ships) of the Grand Class ships have family suites (sleeps up to 8).  Princess didn’t seem to keep the best of the best of Grand Class ships when they moved on to the the Royal Class ships.  Threw the baby out with the bath water.  

Edited by cr8tiv1

1 hour ago, scohen84 said:

Looking to book a trip next summer on Discovery Princess. We are 6 people, 2 adults with 2 small kids (5 and 7) and 2 grandparents.

Originally I was looking at a mini-suite for the 4 of us and a regular balcony for the grandparents.

Now that I am looking more closely, I see there are literally zero (not on my cruise, just period) Reserve Mini-Suites that hold 4 people. But there are many that hold 3. What is the physical difference between a stateroom that holds 3 versus 4 people?

Theoretically, if I booked two Reserve Mini-Suites for the 6 of us, with 2 adults and 1 kid in each stateroom, could the 2 kids physically stay on the pull-out sofa in our mini-suite instead of with grandparents? My kids have shared a double bed before, not worried about them not having enough space on a pull-out (as opposed to a Pullman).

What am I missing?

Have you contacted Princess to see what information that they have?  One call could possibly answer many questions. 

Tom😀

"Originally I was looking at a mini-suite for the 4 of us and a regular balcony for the grandparents."

You mentioned that you are currently looking for two reserve mini suites. Just be aware that if you intend to go with your original thoughts the grandparents and one of the youth in the regular balcony cabin would not be able to dine with you in the reserve section of the DR. You would have to dine with them in the regular section of the DR.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CruisingJs said:

See if there is a family suite available in your cruise.  That will sleep 6 and gets all of the benefits of a full suite.  It is basically two cabins joined with a common area in the middle.

To reserve the family suites, you can only do it by contacting princess.  They don’t let you do it online

• Like 1

9 hours ago, scohen84 said:

Yes, either bypass Reserve mini or book all Reserve because you won't dine together in Reserve section, so why pay for it?

8 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I just tapped 

Discovery

July 2024

4 in a cabin 

and pulled up both balcony and mini-suites on several decks and locations. 

Not Reserve Mini-Suites.

2 hours ago, skynight said:

"Originally I was looking at a mini-suite for the 4 of us and a regular balcony for the grandparents."

You mentioned that you are currently looking for two reserve mini suites. Just be aware that if you intend to go with your original thoughts the grandparents and one of the youth in the regular balcony cabin would not be able to dine with you in the reserve section of the DR. You would have to dine with them in the regular section of the DR.

Original plan was a NON-Reserve mini-suite, specifically because of this issue!

• Like 1

I think your question was answered already in terms of  what is available (4tpax cabin will have a pullman bed vs just sofa).

We were on Discovery last year and had a mini on Riviera with pullman bed. It was NOT a Reserve Class mini. Please remember that mini suites on Royal class ships generally have miniscule balconies with rare exceptions.

Just now, nattie said:

I think your question was answered already in terms of  what is available (4tpax cabin will have a pullman bed vs just sofa).

We were on Discovery last year and had a mini on Riviera with pullman bed. It was NOT a Reserve Class mini. Please remember that mini suites on Royal class ships generally have miniscule balconies with rare exceptions.

Thanks for your insight. I think we might spend a little more and get two reserve minis, one of them being R432 with the extended/angled balcony.

• Like 1