How fast from QM2 to Southampton train station, using express disembarkation?

DaveQM

Hello, I have a question for experienced Cunarders!  Do you reckon I could catch an 8.15am train from Southampton station if I use express disembarkation?

Long version: I've done several westbound transatlantic crossings and at New York, the express disembarkation is incredibly efficient; I usually whizz through customs, often arriving at the taxi rank not long after 7am. But sometimes there aren't enough taxis for everyone. This summer, I'll have my first Southampton arrival. In your experience, will it be equally fast? And will there be plenty of taxis, or will I have to wait around? Alternatively, have any of you ever walked from the ship to the train station? On the map it looks like a short walk but a bit labyrinthine. I'm asking all this because I would like to catch an 8.15 train if I can - but perhaps that's cutting it fine?

Thank you for any advice!

Should be plenty of taxis . Only issue could be if ship didn’t start disembarkation straight away for any reason. Taxis are plentiful you just join a queue straight outside the terminal exit. Cost under £10. I personally wouldn’t walk to station but many do. Others on hear will tell you better what a reasonable time to disembark. I always leave later as I only live locally and just need to take a taxi to where I have parked my car nearby. Taxis take credit debit cards too. 

16 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

It should be possible. Already having a ticket would help. But you are betting the ship will arrive on time, which is a gamble, as we saw the other week.

and assuming the trains are running! Not an every day given at the moment. Sadly.

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

True. Though Southampton to Waterloo runs even on strike days.

Which day of the week is it?

Not always - on 2 of the strike days in the last year trains did not run any further south than Basingstoke 

We have self disembarked several times and are usually off the ship and outside the terminal with suitcases and bags by 7:30am.
Being among the first passengers off the ship we have even been outside as early as 7:15.

I don’t remember seeing too many taxis at the terminal at this time though, recommendation would be book one to be there at 7:30. Railway station is not far.

Hello,

I would also add to check which platform you want as there are two entrances to the station serving different platforms and the taxi driver will need to know which you want (but he/she really should know). You can of course use the elevated walkways to change platforms but the lifts from/to the walkways/platforms are unreliable and I think station porters no longer exist.

Regards,

Cublet

35 minutes ago, cublet said:

Hello,

I would also add to check which platform you want as there are two entrances to the station serving different platforms and the taxi driver will need to know which you want (but he/she really should know). You can of course use the elevated walkways to change platforms but the lifts from/to the walkways/platforms are unreliable and I think station porters no longer exist.

Regards,

Cublet

I have never seen any porters locally 

4 hours ago, cublet said:

I would also add to check which platform you want as there are two entrances to the station serving different platforms and the taxi driver will need to know which you want (but he/she really should know).

That's a good point, and in fact taxis cannot currently serve the southern entrance (downside, Western Esplanade, Platform 4) at all because they are renovating that section of the entry approach, and I suspect they will need another month or two to finish the job. London trains normally leave from the northern side (upside, Blechynden Terrace, Platform 1) anyway and that's where the taxi rank is temporarily for those arriving by train. Usually the taxi rank is on the other side, which would be more convenient for those arriving from London.

22 hours ago, Pushpit said:

That's a good point, and in fact taxis cannot currently serve the southern entrance (downside, Western Esplanade, Platform 4) at all because they are renovating that section of the entry approach, and I suspect they will need another month or two to finish the job.

That's a pain to learn, We're taking the Train from London for our upcoming short (4 night) Amsterdam cruise in September, not much luggage and an excellent 1st class return price. Thank goodness we don't have much luggage to hump over the bridge.

Keep your eyes out on arrival, it may be finished by then. It could be done in a couple of weeks if they had lots of builders on the case, but I suspect it will take longer. It should look quite nice when done. The lifts over the track were working on Sunday at least.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2023 at 10:07 PM, DaveQM said:

have any of you ever walked from the ship to the train station

It's not a particularly long walk (depending upon the terminal at which she arrives). However, on our first visit to Southampton, we were *completely* lost, and you would have to allow for that.