Traveling with Children that are not yours? New Royal Policy - Consent Form MUST be NOTARIZED

On 7/25/2023 at 10:46 AM, Ferry_Watcher said:

Thanks for catching that.  Yes, I updated my prior answer.  Seattle's Pier 91 has at least one staff member who is a notary.  I imagine the other ports are also identifying who is a notary on staff at their own locations.

.  deleted

I do believe that the letter that @Ferry_Watcher posted is for Alaska sailings that have the stop in Canada.  When the new requirements came out we were provided with 2 letters.  The one that was  already posted and here is the other one . I work at Port Everglades where we have both closed loop and open loop, so we were sent both letters. 

Screenshot (101).png

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mscinmia said:

I do believe that the letter that @Ferry_Watcher posted is for Alaska sailings that have the stop in Canada.  When the new requirements came out we were provided with 2 letters.  The one that was  already posted and here is the other one . I work at Port Everglades where we have both closed loop and open loop, so we were sent both letters. 

Screenshot (101).png

Awesome! Thank you. This is awesome information 

On 7/21/2023 at 8:59 PM, Ferry_Watcher said:

On July 21, 2023, Royal Caribbean informed Seattle that this policy was to implemented immediately.

Adults traveling with a minor must present an original, notarized letter signed by the child's parents when their parent is absent. This letter must show the adult is permitted to take and supervise the child on the specific cruise and allow emergency medical treatment if necessary.Jun 22, 2023

Seattle staff was told that passengers received email updates about this policy.

This is not a new policy.  We had to follow this policy back in 2017 sailing out of Cape Liberty.  It's a logical policy and protects everyone involved.

3 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Personally, I don't think it's fair to change passport requirements without notifying passengers at least six months in advance

They informed us about mandatory passport requirements in order to board because we were doing a port call in Colombia ~four months prior to our Panama Canal cruise in February.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, techteach said:

@Ferry_Watcher I’m wondering if you learned anything new at your meeting on Friday that would add to our discussion.

First, the revised minor consent policy rollout for Celebrity Solstice which was to happen yesterday, 7/28, did not happen, and it was suggested that it may be planned for 8/4, but that is a corporate charter, so I am guessing it will be mostly adults.

As for Royal, the first couple turn-around cruise days (Ovation and Quantum) were very challenging for those families impacted, for staff and how the ships were interpreting the newly revised policy.  The good news is that everyone got to sail (no denials).  The downside was that some passengers were left wondering if they would be sailing because while they arrived with a notarized consent letter from the minor's parents, the ship was pushing back that it wasn't a RCI official consent form.  That sent the Seattle management team trying to appeal for some common sense, and working the phones for guidance from RCI.  Luckily, common sense ruled, regular signed consent letters were finally accepted allowing grandparents to travel with their grandkids, moms with different last names traveling alone with their kids could board the ship, as well as other single parents traveling solo with their kids.

It was not a fun experience for anyone (passengers or staff), especially on those first couple of days of the new policy.

Going forward, grandparents still need a notarized letter (I recommend using the official form, as a CYA). 

Solo traveling parents (with the same last name) with kids may find that the kids being asked, 'so who are you traveling with today'? 

Solo parents with a different last name probably should travel with their kid's birth certificates to show the parent/child relationship (birth certificate, adoption, divorce, etc), 

And of course any traveling group, related or not that is bringing a child that is not their own (friend, cousin, niece, nephew, scout trip, etc) must have that notarized consent form, or you may find that you will be denied boarding.

On the positive side, each future situation will be considered unique.  When possible, the team at the pier will work to bring the passenger into compliance, while making sure that the child is safely with who he/she is traveling with, and that all of it satisfy the ship.  So far we have made it thru 3 sailings without a denial, so hoping that we continue this thru the rest of the season.  

As always, this is Seattle, and other ports may be handling this slightly differently.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2023 at 8:35 AM, Staci333 said:

This is what I was planning to have with me at check-in:

• An original birth certificate
  • Letter from judge stating we are allowed to take her on the cruise
  • Placement letter with my husband and I as her legal guardians

We obviously have different last names, would I need anything else?

Hi Staci, going forward, each situation will be considered unique.  While I can't give you a definite answer, it seems to me that all your documents will be enough.   Commonsense so far is ruling the day, and the folks working as supervisors in Seattle are very good people, so I think you are good.  Since you have at least a month before your cruise, you could ask the foster agency or the judge if there is anything else you might need, but it looks like you have checked all the boxes already - especially the letter from the judge., but that is just my opinion

Let me ask Monday during one of the Royal days a hypothetical foster child question, and see what the answer may be. 

On 7/29/2023 at 11:21 AM, Ferry_Watcher said:

Hi Staci, going forward, each situation will be considered unique.  While I can't give you a definite answer, it seems to me that all your documents will be enough.   Commonsense so far is ruling the day, and the folks working as supervisors in Seattle are very good people, so I think you are good.  Since you have at least a month before your cruise, you could ask the foster agency or the judge if there is anything else you might need, but it looks like you have checked all the boxes already - especially the letter from the judge., but that is just my opinion

Let me ask Monday during one of the Royal days a hypothetical foster child question, and see what the answer may be. 

Thank you so much! I feel I have everything I need, but I do appreciate you asking!

Just as an update…

I received this today. We are traveling with our Grand kids on Navigator 8/21/23. They have different last names than us. I think this email removes much of the ambiguity that the previous info failed to. 

The question of whether a passport or bc and id can be used is definitely answered.

IMG_1217.thumb.png.0a5b8832ff0d9073419336b70b1e0cbd.png

IMG_1218.thumb.png.bde0794c9af91099eff9d06e2eab425c.png

IMG_1219.thumb.png.47b9519cba3558cd1371aec0cedb7f92.png

• Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 3:34 PM, techteach said:

I was glad to receive the email. I wish it told us if we have to use their notarized form or if we can use our own. Guess I was hoping for too much.

In Seattle, the ship's document officers (Ovation & Quantum) are happier when they see the official Royal minor traveling consent form used.  

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/minor-traveling-without-parent-or-guardian-form.pdf

On 7/24/2023 at 8:35 AM, Staci333 said:

@Ferry_Watcher

Could you tell me exactly what I would need to have for a Foster child that we plan to take with us to Alaska out of Seattle in September?

This is what I was planning to have with me at check-in:

• An original birth certificate
  • Letter from judge stating we are allowed to take her on the cruise
  • Placement letter with my husband and I as her legal guardians

We obviously have different last names, would I need anything else?

Thank you for any help!

Hi Staci, just wanted to circle back with you re your questions about taking your foster child on a Royal cruise.  So far there hasn't been any denials, however we are only about 3 weeks into this. 

What you should expect - (although it could change between now and your Sept sailing): At check-in you will be asked about your foster child as he/she will have a different last name that yours.  You will show all your paperwork to the check-in agent (the original birth certificate, the letter from the judge, the placement letter saying that you are the legal guardians).  The check-in agent will take the documents and bring them to the Documentation Team for approval. 

It is likely that that since this is an unusual situation, that the ship's Documentation Officer will become involved.  I would be prepared to be asked to take a seat in the Document Recovery area while the paperwork is looked over.  It may take phone calls being made to corporate Royal, with the pier's supervisor staff advocating for you, and explaining the intricacies of your US legal documents to the foreign ship officer(s) - themselves all very nice, talented, and educated folks, but not versed in the US legal system.

It's possible that by the time you are sailing, there may be other similar situations (foster child), and that will facilitate your check-in with your paperwork.

Hopefully, knowing what might/probably will happen will ease any anxiety between now and your sailing date.  I will let you know if there is any changes or updates.  

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Hi Staci, just wanted to circle back with you re your questions about taking your foster child on a Royal cruise.  So far there hasn't been any denials, however we are only about 3 weeks into this. 

What you should expect - (although it could change between now and your Sept sailing): At check-in you will be asked about your foster child as he/she will have a different last name that yours.  You will show all your paperwork to the check-in agent (the original birth certificate, the letter from the judge, the placement letter saying that you are the legal guardians).  The check-in agent will take the documents and bring them to the Documentation Team for approval. 

It is likely that that since this is an unusual situation, that the ship's Documentation Officer will become involved.  I would be prepared to be asked to take a seat in the Document Recovery area while the paperwork is looked over.  It may take phone calls being made to corporate Royal, with the pier's supervisor staff advocating for you, and explaining the intricacies of your US legal documents to the foreign ship officer(s) - themselves all very nice, talented, and educated folks, but not versed in the US legal system.

It's possible that by the time you are sailing, there may be other similar situations (foster child), and that will facilitate your check-in with your paperwork.

Hopefully, knowing what might/probably will happen will ease any anxiety between now and your sailing date.  I will let you know if there is any changes or updates.  

@Ferry_Watcher

Thank you so much for all your help and guidance! You have helped put my mind at ease. I think I have all the documents I need and I am looking forward to enjoy this cruise with our little! It is a lot of jumping through hoops, but understand why they are necessary!

Thank you again and I will let you know how it goes when we cruise to Alaska in just about 3 weeks!

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

@Staci333 - hi Staci, I think I saw you at check-in for the Quantum 9/4.  If that was your family, it looked like it went just as I thought, and it appeared that your paperwork was approved quickly, and you never had to 'take a seat' in the Documents area.

Hope you have a great cruise - it looks like there are lots of toddlers and pre-schoolers on that sailing.  Hope your little cutie makes lots of friends!

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 2

This is all great info to file away.

We have a family cruise next June.  DD is divorced but kept his name just for reasons like this.  Grandson will travel with a birth certificate and his mom with same last name with a passport. He’s also old enough to speak for himself. 

DS may have a foster child at the time ( we have booked a spot for him just in case) so it’s good to know what they will need for that.  Of course that decision will depend on the judge and social worker. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2023 at 9:33 PM, Ferry_Watcher said:

@Staci333 - hi Staci, I think I saw you at check-in for the Quantum 9/4.  If that was your family, it looked like it went just as I thought, and it appeared that your paperwork was approved quickly, and you never had to 'take a seat' in the Documents area.

Hope you have a great cruise - it looks like there are lots of toddlers and pre-schoolers on that sailing.  Hope your little cutie makes lots of friends!

@Ferry_Watcher Yes, that was us 😊 We had no issues boarding, which was such a relief. Your information was so helpful! Thank you again! I wish you would have introduced yourself, everyone at check in was great and super nice!

For those who may be traveling with foster children, we had her birth certificate and a notarized letter from the court. Our notarized letter layed out our whole trip, including our flight information and hotel we were staying in Seattle the night before. It also listed out our cruise itinerary day by day. During check in we were taken aside for copies to be made of the documents and next thing we knew we were on the ship. 

Our little had a fabulous time and she can’t wait for her next one!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Staci333 said:

@Ferry_Watcher Yes, that was us 😊 We had no issues boarding, which was such a relief. Your information was so helpful! Thank you again! I wish you would have introduced yourself, everyone at check in was great and super nice!

For those who may be traveling with foster children, we had her birth certificate and a notarized letter from the court. Our notarized letter layed out our whole trip, including our flight information and hotel we were staying in Seattle the night before. It also listed out our cruise itinerary day by day. During check in we were taken aside for copies to be made of the documents and next thing we knew we were on the ship. 

Our little had a fabulous time and she can’t wait for her next one!

Hi Staci, I think if you had been delayed longer than a few minutes, or had to take a seat, I may have gone down there to say hello.  So happy that everything went smoothly and quickly.  Pier 91 folks are great, and I am happy (and proud) that you experienced it