Traveling with Children that are not yours? New Royal Policy - Consent Form MUST be NOTARIZED

21 hours ago, lcpagejr said:

Sure thing...hahaha.  With the mass of humanity trying to board ships in FL....they barely glimpse at Passports and BC's. But believe what you want

I can confirm what @Ferry_Watcher has stated as I also work at a Florida port.  The pier supervisor is now required to snap a picture of the document and send to both the ship and the corporate office.  And yes, the notarization has always been in place but has not really been enforced, but as of Friday the 21st it is.  

Edited by mscinmia
add
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

My daughter has sole custody of her son the father is not in the picture at all she has court papers stating this. Can she just bring copies of the court papers or would she need the original court papers. Or with notarized copies of the court papers be sufficient. He does have a different last name if that makes a difference. 

44 minutes ago, rdemn said:

He does have a different last name if that makes a difference. 

Your daughter should have her son's birth certificate (even if he is traveling with a passport) that shows that she is the mother.

As for which sole custody paperwork to bring, I wish I could give you an answer, but this policy (which may have been 'on the books', but now being enforced), is all so new to everyone that unfortunately there isn't a clear answer.  That being said, original documents are always best.   

• Like 1

How will you determine whether a 6 year old (w/ passport), traveling with a couple with the same last name, is a grandchild vs a child vs a niece/nephew, etc.?

It would be obvious if the grandparents are 50+, but they could in reality be under 40.

Edited by Another_Critic

20 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

How will you determine whether a 6 year old (w/ passport), traveling with a couple with the same last name, is a grandchild vs a child vs a niece/nephew, etc.?

If we have any concerns about a child and the traveling party we would do what TSA and the CBP officers do - ask the child directly.  "Can you tell me who you are traveling with?"

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rdemn said:

My daughter has sole custody of her son the father is not in the picture at all she has court papers stating this. Can she just bring copies of the court papers or would she need the original court papers. Or with notarized copies of the court papers be sufficient. He does have a different last name if that makes a difference. 

Was a young Single Father. My Wife passed and I'd still take Kids on Flights and Cruises so I'd Bring ML, BC and Death Certificate. They asked more then once. Now Agents are Trained to watch for Trafficking... My Dad had it worse, had us 3, he remarried had Daughter, New Wife Died but right before happened he Adopted her 2 Daughters. Remarried, 3 Daughters. Lot of Paperwork.. I currently have 37 Nieces and Nephews

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

It would be obvious if the grandparents are 50+, but they could in reality be under 40.

Not always so obvious thesedays...

I have a friend that is 55 and have a 4 year old son. A female coworker of mine that is 39 just became a grandma, her son is 22..

@Ferry_Watcher

Could you tell me exactly what I would need to have for a Foster child that we plan to take with us to Alaska out of Seattle in September?

This is what I was planning to have with me at check-in:

• An original birth certificate
  • Letter from judge stating we are allowed to take her on the cruise
  • Placement letter with my husband and I as her legal guardians

We obviously have different last names, would I need anything else?

Thank you for any help!

On 7/23/2023 at 10:16 AM, Ferry_Watcher said:

If we have any concerns about a child and the traveling party we would do what TSA and the CBP officers do - ask the child directly.  "Can you tell me who you are traveling with?"

This is exactly what happened last summer as we disembarked the Solstice in Seattle. I was traveling with our 9 year old grandson, I had the notorized letter and BC. He was asked who he was and what my name was. I am traveling in less than a month on Quatum to Alaska with our 5 year old grandson, he does not have a passport. I hope the notorized and letter and BC will suffice.

9 hours ago, Staci333 said:

It looks like you probably have it all covered, especially the letter from the judge giving you permission to travel.

As I mentioned earlier, all this is so new, that we haven't dealt with non-typical scenarios like yours (foster parents).  Our next Royal / Celebrity cruise day is Friday, when we should have another staff meeting.  I can ask about this at that time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Staci333 said:

@Ferry_Watcher

Could you tell me exactly what I would need to have for a Foster child that we plan to take with us to Alaska out of Seattle in September?

This is what I was planning to have with me at check-in:

Thank you for any help!

According to the posted letter, he'll need a passport.

I am cruising out of Bayonne in a few weeks with my 10 year old son for a B2B, but my husband is staying home and joining us for the second week, along with my other 2 children. Would I need any documentation for this? We all have passports and the same last names. Never would have occurred to me to even think about this until I saw this post. Just want to be sure I have correct documentation. 

1 hour ago, bayportkat said:

I am cruising out of Bayonne in a few weeks with my 10 year old son for a B2B, but my husband is staying home and joining us for the second week, along with my other 2 children. Would I need any documentation for this? We all have passports and the same last names. Never would have occurred to me to even think about this until I saw this post. Just want to be sure I have correct documentation. 

Our son cruised with his young son (and extended family) when Mom was pregnant and couldn't cruise when the Zika virus was going around.

He made sure to have all documentation and notarized. Luckily he wasn't asked by the air carrier or by RCI check in staff. But he was certainly prepared just in case.

12 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

It looks like you probably have it all covered, especially the letter from the judge giving you permission to travel.

As I mentioned earlier, all this is so new, that we haven't dealt with non-typical scenarios like yours (foster parents).  Our next Royal / Celebrity cruise day is Friday, when we should have another staff meeting.  I can ask about this at that time.

That would be wonderful if you could ask! Any information is appreciated!

Just as additional information to this post.  My husband and I are still married but I did not take his last name (for work reasons).  We went on a cruise on June 30 out of Bayonne.  We were checking in with my two kids and my husband.  The agent looked at our passports and then asked my 15 year old daughter to confirm who I was to her (she did not ask my 10 year old).  Being a socially awkward teenager she froze and went "ah...." which prompted the agent to ask more questions.  In the end I offered to her long form birth certificate that I had just happened to bring last minute (we are Canadian and all have passports).  That seems to appease her and she let us through but it was an tense few minutes with some uncomfortable laughing.  Even though my daughter and I could be twins we were still asked.  I'll never travel without their birth certificates again.  Even with my husband, who obviously has my kids last name.

Edited by MaddyandMax
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/23/2023 at 9:41 AM, mscinmia said:

I can confirm what @Ferry_Watcher has stated as I also work at a Florida port.  The pier supervisor is now required to snap a picture of the document and send to both the ship and the corporate office.  And yes, the notarization has always been in place but has not really been enforced, but as of Friday the 21st it is.  

My question is for you and @Ferry_Watcher.  (I don’t want to be that family turned away at the port!).  Does it have to be Royal’s consent form or can a free firm letter that’s notarized and contains all the required information and permissions be used? 

DH and I are cruising next month with two of our grandsons out of Port Canaveral on Independence of the Seas. Royal’s consent form presents a problem as it requires the signature of both a parent and the traveling companion (us).  Our grandsons live in PA, we live in RI so don’t know how we’d get this form notarized.  (We are flying separately and meeting at Orlando airport, their parents are flying with them but not going on the cruise).

We planned to have our daughter do a free-form consent letter which includes all the required information and permissions. She and her husband sign and have it notarized.  

21 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

My question is for you and @Ferry_Watcher.  (I don’t want to be that family turned away at the port!).  Does it have to be Royal’s consent form or can a free firm letter that’s notarized and contains all the required information and permissions be used? 

DH and I are cruising next month with two of our grandsons out of Port Canaveral on Independence of the Seas. Royal’s consent form presents a problem as it requires the signature of both a parent and the traveling companion (us).  Our grandsons live in PA, we live in RI so don’t know how we’d get this form notarized.  (We are flying separately and meeting at Orlando airport, their parents are flying with them but not going on the cruise).

We planned to have our daughter do a free-form consent letter which includes all the required information and permissions. She and her husband sign and have it notarized.  

There are online notary options that may help in your situation!

10 hours ago, bayportkat said:

You should have a letter from your husband that he is aware you are travelling week one without him and with your son, and I'd recommend getting it notarized.  They likely will not ask but with it also being top of mind with the new enforcement, I wouldn't risk it.  They have no idea otherwise if your husband is aware you are travelling, if you are estranged from your spouse, divorced, etc.  I know it's a PITA (did it for many years when kids were younger) but I also understand why they do it and for me that made it worth the effort.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Royal’s consent form presents a problem as it requires the signature of both a parent and the traveling companion (us).  Our grandsons live in PA, we live in RI so don’t know how we’d get this form notarized.  (We are flying separately and meeting at Orlando airport, their parents are flying with them but not going on the cruise).

I see no reason why they cannot download the form, have it signed and notarized, and mail it to you. You can then go have your part signed and notarized. 

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

ur grandsons live in PA, we live in RI so don’t know how we’d get this form notarized.  (We are flying separately and meeting at Orlando airport, their parents are flying with them but not going on the cruise).

The parents would fill out the form at home and sign it in front of a notary.  They would bring it along and give it to you when you all meet up in Orlando.  Or they would fill out the form in FL, and get it notarized just before the cruise.  In either case, both parents need to have it signed and notarized.

I know in Seattle, management has already identified who the notary is at Pier 91 to handle notarizing onsite. 

Here is a link to the Royal Minor Travel Consent Form:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/minor-traveling-without-parent-or-guardian-form.pdf

Edited by Ferry_Watcher

2 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

I see no reason why they cannot download the form, have it signed and notarized, and mail it to you. You can then go have your part signed and notarized. 

Is this common, using two different notaries?  

2 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

The parents would fill out the form at home and sign it in front of a notary.  They would bring it along and give it to you when you all meet up in Orlando.  Or they would fill out the form in FL, and get it notarized just before the cruise.  In either case, both parents need to have it signed and notarized.

Here is a link to the Royal Minor Travel Consent Form:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/minor-traveling-without-parent-or-guardian-form.pdf

The form in the link requires our signature as well as parents.  This is where the issue lies.  Unless, as indicated in the above comment, we have two separate notarizations.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Is this common, using two different notaries?

A notary simply verifies the party signing the document is the person they claim to be. I have done a few transactions where one party has their signature notarized and then sent me the document to be signed and notarized. I would call and verify via relying on me, but i believe this to be quite common in the legal world.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

The form in the link requires our signature as well as parents.  This is where the issue lies.  Unless, as indicated in the above comment, we have two separate notarizations.

Thanks for catching that.  Yes, I updated my prior answer.  Seattle's Pier 91 has at least one staff member who is a notary.  I imagine the other ports are also identifying who is a notary on staff at their own locations.

• Thanks 1

I’ve sent an email to my TA regarding all of this and asked her to contact RC.

1 - Do have to use the RC form or can we use a letter of our making? (We used our own last year)

2 - Does the accompanying adult need to have the signature authorized also or is just the parents notorized signature that is required? (Doesn’t make sense to require accompanying adult sig)

3 - Are passports required or is a birth certificate sufficient as it has been in the past?