Booked a Panoramic Ocean View on Ascent today...

Stockjock

This will be a European sailing that seemed reasonably priced, for a new ship.  Normally I book a veranda, but not sure I'd love the infinite veranda and there was a decent price differential.  Figured the panoramic ocean view would be good enough.

I presume that the window doesn't open, even though the renderings make it appear that it might.  Anyone know for sure?

IMG_0543.png

Edited by Stockjock

• Stockjock changed the title to Booked a Panoramic Ocean View on Ascent today...

Never mind, I think I figured it out.  Nearly the same look as the infinite veranda, and the same size, but the windows don't open.  There is, apparently, a motor-driven shade, but that's about it.  I also didn't realize that most of these Panoramic Ocean view cabins have a partial lifeboat obstruction that is just below the base of the window, but they seem to be a good value relative to a standard ocean view cabin.

As a side note, MSC's newest ships (World Europa, World America) have something quite similar to Celebrity's Infinite Veranda, but they call it an Infinite Ocean View cabin and price it more along the lines of an OV.  I think I prefer that, actually.

Here's a photo of MSC's Infinite Ocean View Cabin.

msc-world-europa-kabinen-suiten-14069-infinite-ocean-view-20221112_084636_w934_h701.jpg.webp

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Looks like a beautiful stateroom. 

What I liked about it is that it's the same size as the "infinite veranda", but I think I'm paying something like $1,600 to $1,800 less for the two of us.  Frankly, I'm not so sure I'd like that infinite "veranda" so much anyway, so this seemed like a good option.

My GF gripes whenever she has to look at any part of a lifeboat, but this cabin is larger and has a lot more glass than a standard ocean view cabin, and the cost was no more than $100 per person higher, if that, so to me it's worth the inconvenience of having to look at the top of a lifeboat. 

P.S. Not sure if the "beautiful" or "gorgeous" remarks referred to the Celebrity Panoramic Ocean View, or the MSC Infinite Ocean View.  Both are nice, imo.  As I mentioned, I like the fact that MSC classified their "infinite" version as an ocean view cabin.  Not so sure I buy that Celebrity's version is a true veranda.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

Another plus besides the price is the fact that you will be able to maintain the air conditioning in your stateroom.  In Europe you will likely not spend a huge amount of time in your stateroom anyway, so the view below of a lifeboat shouldn't be a huge issue.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stockjock said:

Never mind, I think I figured it out.  Nearly the same look as the infinite veranda, and the same size, but the windows don't open.  There is, apparently, a motor-driven shade, but that's about it.  I also didn't realize that most of these Panoramic Ocean view cabins have a partial lifeboat obstruction that is just below the base of the window, but they seem to be a good value relative to a standard ocean view cabin.

As a side note, MSC's newest ships (World Europa, World America) have something quite similar to Celebrity's Infinite Veranda, but they call it an Infinite Ocean View cabin and price it more along the lines of an OV.  I think I prefer that, actually.

Here's a photo of MSC's Infinite Ocean View Cabin.

msc-world-europa-kabinen-suiten-14069-infinite-ocean-view-20221112_084636_w934_h701.jpg.webp

With MSC, the window opens just like the infinite veranda but they were smart enough to not call it a veranda.

• Like 1