Hot water for tea in stateroom?

CathyGo7280

I'm going on an Alaskan cruise on the Sun in October. I like green tea in the morning and I don't want to have to get dressed to go get it. 😁 Most recommendations I've seen have centered around the higher priced staterooms and ordering hot water but I've seen a few mentions of electric kettles provided. 

Has anybody gotten an electric kettle on the Sun in Alaska? Would I be able to request something like that ahead of time with an oceanview room?

Edited by CathyGo7280
typo

• CathyGo7280 changed the title to Hot water for tea in stateroom?

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

NCL does not have kettles (even in suites). 

You can request a coffee maker and use it to make hot water for your tea. NCL uses single serve Hamilton Beach coffee makers. 
IMG_6021.jpeg.bc2a2b52da71ca1ee3e6ef00fcde04ca.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, CathyGo7280 said:

That should work. I have espresso machine cleaner at home so I can probably get it cleaned up enough. 

Thank you!

If you take the coffee pod tray out completely you have a clean untainted stream of hot water for tea.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

If you take the coffee pod tray out completely you have a clean untainted stream of hot water for tea.

It's fairly close to clean when you do that. I've used these at hotels a lot. You can taste the coffee flavor in green tea really easily so it's still there. Plus there's normally that stale low quality coffee smell. I'd rather just clean it.

According to one of our extended family's relative - head of housekeeping for a major hotel chain, bring a 3 oz. bottle of vinegar onboard, dilute that 50%, and run it thru the 1 cup coffee-maker ... allow the mix to cool in between deep rinsing, repeat - then, run thru 3 to 4 cycles of tap water.  It should get rid of lingering coffee taste/flavor in subsequent hot water brewing.  But, I'm told that the water doesn't quite reach the ideal temperature for proper tea service.  

What do I know, I'm a coffee drinker.  Yes for Bubble tea with milk, however 😁

48 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

According to one of our extended family's relative - head of housekeeping for a major hotel chain, bring a 3 oz. bottle of vinegar onboard, dilute that 50%, and run it thru the 1 cup coffee-maker ... allow the mix to cool in between deep rinsing, repeat - then, run thru 3 to 4 cycles of tap water.  It should get rid of lingering coffee taste/flavor in subsequent hot water brewing.  But, I'm told that the water doesn't quite reach the ideal temperature for proper tea service.  

Yes, a dawn and vinegar mix is our go-to around here. That powder espresso machine cleaner is amazing though. It gets hard water scaling off that vinegar can't get.

Temp will probably be fine for green tea. I'm fine with one less than ideal cup of tea every day if it allows me to make it in my pj's. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, mking8288 said:

I thought you only stuck to the high tech stuff.

• Haha 2