Bar Menus-July 2023-Saturn

Clay Clayton

We are trying to debate on the SS package for our 25th wedding anniversary river cruise in May. It is $25 pp per night. What price of bottle of wine does it allow? I see that there is some nice champagnes on board, so would love to know if those are included. Thanks!

1 minute ago, potchak said:

We are trying to debate on the SS package for our 25th wedding anniversary river cruise in May. It is $25 pp per night. What price of bottle of wine does it allow? I see that there is some nice champagnes on board, so would love to know if those are included. Thanks!

SS only includes wine by the glass. It used to provide a discount for purchase of bottles, but based on what I am seeing in MVJ for a future cruise that isn’t mentioned. 

1 hour ago, potchak said:

Wow the description online states premium bottles of wine...that's odd. 

How often are the bars open on the river cruises? This is our first one so not sure what to expect. Tia!!

Perhaps the SS is different on river?  If you attempt to purchase in MVJ, it should give you a description.  If that’s says premium bottles, I’d take a screenshot. 

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1

On 7/30/2023 at 9:40 AM, madmedic said:

We don't drink expensive wine so I can't see us getting value from the package. I would like a martini pre dinner and then a glass of wine with dinner. If you don't like the included wine are you able to switch to another? 

Yes, you are.  It’s usually something like $6 but it will show in the menu.

On 7/30/2023 at 9:09 AM, Hobson1754 said:

I think, looking at Torshavn’s menu, the SS pkg covers all but 2 of the ‘spirited cocktails’. Going for the most expensive gin, vodka, scotch etc. might take you over the $18 limit, depending what they charge for mixers - can’t remember from last year if mixer was included in cost of price on menu🤔

Late to the party here...but if you do go over the $18 limit ( or whatever the SS limit is now ), I'm assuming you only pay for the overage...correct? This is how it has worked on other cruise lines ( Norwegian, etc... ).  I'm guessing it works this way on Viking as well...but just making sure.

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Perhaps the SS is different on river?  If you attempt to purchase in MVJ, it should give you a description.  If that’s says premium bottles, I’d take a screenshot. 

Funny you mention the screenshot...I did take one...

Screenshot_20231207-071401.png

25 minutes ago, farmecologist said:

Late to the party here...but if you do go over the $18 limit ( or whatever the SS limit is now ), I'm assuming you only pay for the overage...correct? This is how it has worked on other cruise lines ( Norwegian, etc... ).  I'm guessing it works this way on Viking as well...but just making sure.

I believe you pay full freight - not just the difference. Not logical but we're talking Viking here.

4 minutes ago, duquephart said:

I believe you pay full freight - not just the difference. Not logical but we're talking Viking here.

Wow that is very unfortunate and dumb policy if true!  Hopefully the bartenders will warn you if a drink will go over the SS covered amount!

30 minutes ago, potchak said:

We did decide to go with the package because we are drinkers and frankly do not like the constantly having to sign for drinks. I will report back when we get back on what the deal was. 

Just an fyi for the future, you don’t have to sign for drinks.   They just ask your stateroom number (until they learn it). 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, farmecologist said:

Wow that is very unfortunate and dumb policy if true!  Hopefully the bartenders will warn you if a drink will go over the SS covered amount!

There is almost nothing that exceeds the amount (high end Champaign and full bottles of wine, if I recall). 

5 hours ago, potchak said:

Wow the description online states premium bottles of wine...that's odd. 

How often are the bars open on the river cruises? This is our first one so not sure what to expect. Tia!!

The bar (there is only one) is open on River cruises usually morning until late at night.  On our two very recent River cruises, there were extremely limited premium wine options—like $21 a glass or purchase a bottle with a discount.  I would not have been happy to purchase a bottle after paying for SS!  They served the same two red/white wines every night which was also a surprise.  our River cruises were very intensive so not a lot of time to relax and enjoy the bar!  Glad we didn’t purchase SS as our evening cocktails ran us $76 after the ship cocktail parties, included wine tastings, etc. were plenty.  Guess it depends on your itinerary.

1 hour ago, potchak said:

Funny you mention the screenshot...I did take one...

Screenshot_20231207-071401.png

This is redundant, as I believe you have purchased the SSBP, but your info above is the standard blub that Viking provides. It's carefully crafted marketing language.

Note that it first refers to "A wide variety of beer and upgraded select wines ...". It does not mention that there is a price limit on what you can have that is prepaid by the SSBP. Similarly, the "Premium wines ..." inclusion means that you get a discount off of the bottle price - not the bottle fully prepaid.

SSBP prepays for beverages under the $ limit (outside of beer/wine at meals) and provides a discount for full bottles. Lots of reasons to take or leave it - always individual. Enjoy your cruise! 🍺🥌

There were very few wines on the European Sojourn and  Douro ( we cruised 2023 fall) that we could not order by the glass with our ss package ( even if was not listed by the glass).  those we could not  had an asterisk next to it.  When we asked we received great help with wine selections.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/28/2023 at 5:33 PM, duquephart said:

Bulleit = so-so. But Buffalo Trace ----- now we're talking! Next up = Blanton's?

Now THAT would make DH happy...