Cobh (Cork) Ireland question

We have a port day scheduled in Cobh, Ireland this spring, from 7am - 4 pm.  If we take a trip to Blarney Castle returning at 11:30, will we have time to do a self-guided walking tour of Cobh?  We would want to see the cathedral and the Titanic experience.  

My thought is we take the ship excursion for the out-of-town trip, and do our own thing to explore Cobh.  

Any advise?

Lisa

Edited by lisad63

You would definitely have time.  The cathedral and Titanic Experience are just a 5 minute walk or so from each other and from the ship.  This is a very small town.  The Titanic Experience is a nice experience (for lack of a better word).  Be sure to book your tickets in advance.  You will also have time to pop into some of the shops/bars/restaurants, if you want.  And to walk along the waterfront.  It is a nice day.  It was a rainy day when I was there and I still enjoyed it.

I'd suggest you walk up the hill on West View Street to West View Park for some great pictures of the row of houses with the cathedral behind.  Then from the top of that hill walk over and back down to the Cathedral.  

• Like 1

I agree you will have time as long as you really do dock at Cobh.   We got moved to Ringaskiddy - it was changed maybe a month before sailing.   From what I can tell cruiselines will all advertise Cobh and then some ships get moved.    As the crow flies across the bay, it is not far away,  but it looks to me like it is not a simple or short  drive if you would still want to go to Cobh.   

BTW, I was pleasantly surprised with our Blarney Castle tour.   I thought grounds were really beautiful and the clothing store was not a tourist trap, but very large and good quality.  

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe you already know this, but you can book a Titanic Trail walking tour and pair it with a visit to the Heritage Center with this company:  https://titanic.ie/

We did that back in 2019, and enjoyed it.  We ended the walking tour across from the cathedral, so were able to enter on our own and explore the church at our own pace.  The Heritage Center is nearby, and again we entered and explored it at our own pace.

As previously mentioned, everything on the Titanic Trail and the Heritage Center is near the port, within a few blocks, as I recall.

On 7/29/2023 at 10:43 PM, CCJack said:

I agree you will have time as long as you really do dock at Cobh.   We got moved to Ringaskiddy - it was changed maybe a month before sailing.   From what I can tell cruiselines will all advertise Cobh and then some ships get moved.    As the crow flies across the bay, it is not far away,  but it looks to me like it is not a simple or short  drive if you would still want to go to Cobh.   

BTW, I was pleasantly surprised with our Blarney Castle tour.   I thought grounds were really beautiful and the clothing store was not a tourist trap, but very large and good quality.  

Ditto this.  You can go to portofcork.ie to find out where your ship is docked.

• 4 weeks later...

We had a much longer day in Cobh  7 to 7 pm.   Still if I recall dud not get clearance to exit ship until 7 45 am. Literally  train is right beside ship. Took train to Cork then took B

larney. Beat all the tour buses. Cost of admission to Blarney was 16 euros each. Spent much time at Blarney. Were in the 1 06 pm bus back to Cork. Half hour later on the train to Cobh.  Had 3 pm onwards to bask in the beauty and sunshine of lovely scenic Cobh.  Your day at 4pm is much shorter, better to bare the higher very much higher expense of cruise excursion to Blarney to ensure you are back early to Cobh to enjoy it too. Those Blarney castle excursions sell out fast. For us because of our long day in port our total cost was one fifth of cruise excursion and very leisurely.