MSC Almost Gave Me A Heart Attack!...

Stockjock

As some know, I've had a lot of shoreside issues with MSC.  There's a thread entitled, MSC Comedy of Errors that describes many of them.

Generally, my advice is not to call MSC, if it can be avoided, as they have screwed up many of my existing reservations.  

But I called MSC.

My GF and I are both Diamond status and they gave me $50 OBC but not her.  Even though $50 isn't much, I decided to call them.  "Please don't foul up my reservation!", I begged.  

So today, 2 days later, I logged back in.  The cruise was gone.  

Another booked cruise was showing, but this one was nowhere to be found.  I had got a sweetheart deal on a fairly large 1-bedroom Aurea suite, and I think the price has more than doubled, if that category wasn't sold out, which it is.

I could feel the blood rushing to my head.

But then, I clicked on the button that said to "link a booking number to your account", so I added that number, and the cruise repopulated. 

Miracle of all miracles, they had added in her $50 and the rest of the pricing did not change

(Phew!)

Bonus MSC Pro Tip: When talking to MSC customer service, before making *any other request*, ask that a current copy of your booking confirmation be e-mailed to you and confirm that you've received it.  This way, if anything gets fouled up, you'll have proof of what the reservation looked like just before they put their fingerprints on it.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Stockjock said:

As some know, I've had a lot of shoreside issues with MSC.  There's a thread entitled, MSC Comedy of Errors that describes many of them.

Generally, my advice is not to call MSC, if it can be avoided, as they have screwed up many of my existing reservations.  

But I called MSC.

My GF and I are both Diamond status and they gave me $50 OBC but not her.  Even though $50 isn't much, I decided to call them.  "Please don't foul up my reservation!", I begged.  

So today, 2 days later, I logged back in.  The cruise was gone.  

Another booked cruise was showing, but this one was nowhere to be found.  I had got a sweetheart deal on a fairly large 1-bedroom Aurea suite, and I think the price has more than doubled, if that category wasn't sold out, which it is.

I could feel the blood rushing to my head.

But then, I clicked on the button that said to "link a booking number to your account", so I added that number, and the cruise repopulated. 

Miracle of all miracles, they had added in her $50 and the rest of the pricing did not change

(Phew!)

Bonus MSC Pro Tip: When talking to MSC customer service, before making *any other request*, ask that a current copy of your booking confirmation be e-mailed to you and confirm that you've received it.  This way, if anything gets fouled up, you'll have proof of what the reservation looked like just before they put their fingerprints on it.

Since you seem to have ongoing complaints about MSC perhaps you should try CRYSTAL or SEABOURN for your future cruises.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

Since you seem to have ongoing complaints about MSC perhaps you should try CRYSTAL or SEABOURN for your future cruises.

I don't want to spend that kind of money.  I have it, but won't spend it.

That said, I do expect customer service agents to have some basic level of competency.  I don't think that's too much to ask for.  When a customer wants to change from early to late dining, it should not raise their price by hundreds, or even thousands of dollars, as an example.

When I/we share our experiences, it serves at least 3 purposes.

1. To alert others of a potential pitfall or problem.  I think the advice to try to avoid calling customer service, and if you do, to first obtain a current booking invoice before doing anything, is good advice.

2. It's cathartic to share frustrations.

3. In the hopes that someone from MSC reads some of these issues, figures that the customer experience is unacceptable, and moves to improve things.

I've been w/a big Wall Street firm for over 30 years.  While I/we are never perfect, my objective is to provide the client with an excellent and efficient experience.  When things go wrong, I want to know.  If it's a local issue involving me or my assistant, I'll try to learn from it so it doesn't happen again.  If it's something on a larger scale, let's say firm policy that could be improved upon, I write up the issue, along with suggestions for improvement, and I submit it through a portal we have called, "We Hear You".  And they actually do take our suggestions seriously and follow-up close to 100% of the time.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Stockjock said:

When a customer wants to change from early to late dining, it should not raise their price by hundreds, or even thousands of dollars, as an example.

I find that interesting. Can you tell me more about that example?

• Like 1

I always have to call to add my spouse's VC number after the reservation is made. (Mine is always there with the reservation to get the proper pricing.) Then the OBC comes automatically. Never had an issue with this impacting the reservation itself.

3 hours ago, jame_g said:

I always have to call to add my spouse's VC number after the reservation is made. (Mine is always there with the reservation to get the proper pricing.) Then the OBC comes automatically. Never had an issue with this impacting the reservation itself.

Hi, I have a couple questions.  DH and I just recently status matched to gold and then booked our first 4-day cruise in August.  The offer we booked included a $25 OBC.  Are you saying that both DH and I should also be getting a $50 OBC?  Would this show up in our booking confirmation, or is this something you see once onboard?  As for Voyager #, DH shows up on confirmation, mine only shows up online under passenger info…but in most places my Voyager # isn’t populated.  Does this sound like they have my number…or they don’t?  I would call MSC…but am a little skittish after reading this thread.

13 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I find that interesting. Can you tell me more about that example?

It happened to me and to others.  Sometimes, making what seems like a minor change can trigger a repricing.  I've since had them record the wrong dinner times, but instead of calling, I just dealt with it once on the ship.

In my case, it raised the price by $800.  Start at the part that begins, "Okay, I've got a new one..."
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2612110-msc-comedy-of-errors/page/7/

Edited by Stockjock

2 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Hi, I have a couple questions.  DH and I just recently status matched to gold and then booked our first 4-day cruise in August.  The offer we booked included a $25 OBC.  Are you saying that both DH and I should also be getting a $50 OBC?  Would this show up in our booking confirmation, or is this something you see once onboard?  As for Voyager #, DH shows up on confirmation, mine only shows up online under passenger info…but in most places my Voyager # isn’t populated.  Does this sound like they have my number…or they don’t?  I would call MSC…but am a little skittish after reading this thread.

I'd refer to the Voyager's Club chart, but I believe you should also get $50 OBC per person.

In our case, we got $100 as part of a promotion (not related to Voyager's Club), and were supposed to get $50 per person too for Voyager's Club.  I got it, but the GF didn't receive it.

Here's a link to their chart.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/manage-booking/msc-voyagers-club

14 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

I'd refer to the Voyager's Club chart, but I believe you should also get $50 OBC per person.

In our case, we got $100 as part of a promotion (not related to Voyager's Club), and were supposed to get $50 per person too for Voyager's Club.  I got it, but the GF didn't receive it.

Here's a link to their chart.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/manage-booking/msc-voyagers-club

Thanks for the link.  The kicker was bookings made 9 months in advance…which ours were made a few months ago.  Explains why I don’t see any OBC.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stockjock said:

It happened to me and to others.  Sometimes, making what seems like a minor change can trigger a repricing.  I've since had them record the wrong dinner times, but instead of calling, I just dealt with it once on the ship.

In my case, it raised the price by $800.  Start at the part that begins, "Okay, I've got a new one..."
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2612110-msc-comedy-of-errors/page/7/

Insane!

I'm glad that's not the Swedish customerservice!

On 7/29/2023 at 9:36 AM, RICHARD@SEA said:

Add me to the ongoing complainers list.

I have decided to try a 42 night Oceania. What will I gain by it versus MSC?

I have a so called travel concierge. Seems more like a travel agent to me. Already have had 3 issues prior to sailing.

1 hour ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Add me to the ongoing complainers list.

I have decided to try a 42 night Oceania. What will I gain by it versus MSC?

I have a so called travel concierge. Seems more like a travel agent to me. Already have had 3 issues prior to sailing.

Hopefully, your experience will be much better than your worst downgrade experience with MSC.  Stockjock said MSC almost gave him a heart attack.  In your case, it's almost like they gave you an enema and a complimentary colonoscopy!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

A simple fix is simply visiting the Matre'd once you boarded and request  a change....sure beats a cardiac episode....

as far as constant complaing....read Einstein's definition of "INSANITY".

Sorry that doesnt always work. We had problems with our dining and went to see Maitre’d first and second night of cruise. His reply, ship is full, nothing I can do. Too bad, so sad.

Also we are cruising with a couple in April on Seashore. They called to get their Voyager discount as they just had signed up after booking. They gave him the discount and raised the price of his cruise to more than when he first cruised.

Most of the issues happening with MSC don’t usually happen on other cruise lines and if they do they are quickly remedied.

Oh yeah, 58 days since canceling an excursion and still waiting for a refund.

2 hours ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

A simple fix is simply visiting the Matre'd once you boarded and request  a change....sure beats a cardiac episode....

as far as constant complaing....read Einstein's definition of "INSANITY".

While this is what I do, I did have 2 issues with this strategy.  

1. On my most recent sailing, they gave me the latest possible seating time (I did request late dining), which I think was 9:45 pm.  I wanted to get something slightly earlier and the Maitre D said he could not do so.  I went to customer service, and after a long wait, they did accommodate me (moved to 8:30 pm, I believe), which was fine.  Do bear in mind that I had selected late dining to begin with, and for some reason, MSC changed it to early dining.

2. On a sailing before covid, something similar happened (booked late seating, but MSC changed it to early seating).  I tracked down the Maitre D, and he seemed really put out and pissed off.  The conversation went something like this, and just imagine a really snotty tone of voice.

MD: Do you know how many passengers I have on this ship?

Me: I'm not sure.  I lot, I suppose.

MD: Yes, it *is* a lot.  FIFTY FIVE HUNDRED!  I have FIFTY FIVE HUNDRED passengers and *YOU* want late seating, is that correct?

Me: Yes, that's correct, thank you.  By the way, I did select late seating.

MD: With a huge sigh and a cold demeanor, begrudgingly changed our seating assignment.

So yes, it got done, but it wasn't an easy or pleasant experience.  Still, it was better than losing my cabin or having a change to pricing.

Edited by Stockjock

3 hours ago, JAGR said:

Hopefully, your experience will be much better than your worst downgrade experience with MSC.  Stockjock said MSC almost gave him a heart attack.  In your case, it's almost like they gave you an enema and a complimentary colonoscopy!

Not starting out that way.

Had business class air from MLB to ATL to ROM to MLT.

A bunch of flights have changed it seems.

Now it's premium plus from MCO to ATL. BUSINESS CLASS TO ROM, Economy plus to MLT.

They have 1st class on the other 2 flights so that's what they need to give me, that's what I paid for.

Also the door to door transport instead of 15 minutes is now almost 90 minutes and someone forgot to realize that the cruise ends in South Florida so we need town car transport of 2+ hours back home.

Whole trip has been payed in full.

Also room was changed.  Was wait listed for a better room. One became available. Price is not what it was when I booked and wait listed it.  They are trying to cover the costs of the new flights, and the transport is my guess.

So I said no, I will keep my original room. Don't have it back yet it appears.

3 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Not starting out that way.

Had business class air from MLB to ATL to ROM to MLT.

A bunch of flights have changed it seems.

Now it's premium plus from MCO to ATL. BUSINESS CLASS TO ROM, Economy plus to MLT.

They have 1st class on the other 2 flights so that's what they need to give me, that's what I paid for.

Also the door to door transport instead of 15 minutes is now almost 90 minutes and someone forgot to realize that the cruise ends in South Florida so we need town car transport of 2+ hours back home.

Whole trip has been payed in full.

Also room was changed.  Was wait listed for a better room. One became available. Price is not what it was when I booked and wait listed it.  They are trying to cover the costs of the new flights, and the transport is my guess.

So I said no, I will keep my original room. Don't have it back yet it appears.

You will fly from Rome ROM to Millinocket, Maine MLT ?

Interesting.

Just in case you want to go Malta MLA: Please tell us which airline flies first class on this route or indeed any short haul European route?

3 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Complaining is because they screwed up. We end up being the victim of it.

The word Indium comes to mind.

Yep, nothing wrong with pointing out mistakes, especially if the same type of mistakes keep happening over and over again.

I think that some of the issues we've pointed out have likely spared others from having to deal w/similar frustrations.  Some say, "Just switch cruise lines", but if you mostly like the product, switching to another line isn't necessary.  Pointing out issues to help others, and in the hope that the cruise line reads the remarks and improves upon things, makes sense, imo.

39 minutes ago, carlmm said:

You will fly from Rome ROM to Millinocket, Maine MLT ?

Interesting.

Just in case you want to go Malta MLA: Please tell us which airline flies first class on this route or indeed any short haul European route?

I just looked, It was Lufthansa business class, and yes you are correct it is Malta, not Maine😁

37 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Yep, nothing wrong with pointing out mistakes, especially if the same type of mistakes keep happening over and over again.

I think that some of the issues we've pointed out have likely spared others from having to deal w/similar frustrations.  Some say, "Just switch cruise lines", but if you mostly like the product, switching to another line isn't necessary.  Pointing out issues to help others, and in the hope that the cruise line reads the remarks and improves upon things, makes sense, imo.

You are 100% correct.

Let's not forget that every person we get to use a TA, can save themselves a bunch of grief if an issue arrises and it costs MSC 10-15% of the fare.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

You are 100% correct.

Let's not forget that every person we get to use a TA, can save themselves a bunch of grief if an issue arrises and it costs MSC 10-15% of the fare.

If an issue arrise it's much better to deal with MSC directly than go through a TA, here in Sweden.

In America it seems like a TA is better to deal with.