All things bubbly.....

Mudhen

Does anyone know if Regent (Splendor) stocks Clicquot ?  I realize it would be an extra charge.

If they do, would it be possible to purchase a bottle and just let it "hang out" in the Ob Bar, our usual watering hole, so

I could have a special treat at cocktail time. We've got lots of OBC and it would be nice to enjoy some other than in just

the dining room/specialty restaurant.

Not even sure Regent stocks Clicquot......if so does anyone know how much?

In December (seems forever ago), we often purchased a bottle of Veuve Clicquot (yellow label) for $69 less the small discount.  There were 4 of us, though, so the issue of letting the bottle “hang out” didn’t come up.  😉

1 hour ago, ROLLTIDE2 said:

In December (seems forever ago), we often purchased a bottle of Veuve Clicquot (yellow label) for $69 less the small discount.  There were 4 of us, though, so the issue of letting the bottle “hang out” didn’t come up.  😉

Wow!

If that’s the actual price, give or take a couple of bucks, that’s a very reasonable price!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mudhen said:

Wow!

If that’s the actual price, give or take a couple of bucks, that’s a very reasonable price!!

Indeed.  It's getting hard to find in a restaurant for under $100.  It's like $48 at Costco now.

The non-vintage, of course.

16 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

Indeed.  It's getting hard to find in a restaurant for under $100.  It's like $48 at Costco now.

The non-vintage, of course.

Aw phooey! Unfortunately we don’t have a Costco near us. To get in a liquor store, a good price would be anything under 60. There are occasional sales, but not often.

Pleased about the Regent price. Hope it’s still in effect in September!

33 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

Aw phooey! Unfortunately we don’t have a Costco near us. To get in a liquor store, a good price would be anything under 60. There are occasional sales, but not often.

Pleased about the Regent price. Hope it’s still in effect in September!

We lived in the NYC area most of our adult lives until retiring in the South.  Love the South.  We bought wines from Sherry Lehmann for years including delivery here.  What happened to them?  I've read some articles but it seems very strange.  Costco has great wines, limited but great including many < $12.

Edited by RetiredandTravel

1 hour ago, Jchisley said:

Do they serve Rosé wines ? 

Yes..Velastral Rose and an Italian variety.   While also available, please remember that Friends don't let Friends drink White Zin!  🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

On 7/29/2023 at 5:05 PM, RetiredandTravel said:

We lived in the NYC area most of our adult lives until retiring in the South.  Love the South.  We bought wines from Sherry Lehmann for years including delivery here.  What happened to them?  I've read some articles but it seems very strange.  Costco has great wines, limited but great including many < $12.

Gotta love Costco.  One of the largest purchasers of wine in the US.  They even have their own "Kirkland" label wines which are nothing to sneer at.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rothko1 said:

Gotta love Costco.  One of the largest purchasers of wine in the US.  They even have their own "Kirkland" label wines which are nothing to sneer at.

Great international wines in the $8 - $20 range.  Costco has done a great job recognizing that Spain, Portugal, Chile and Argentina offer a great quality / price.  They also have terrific deals on higher priced wines ($30 +) but the selection is very limited.  I bought a Chateauneuf du Pape a couple years back that was rated in the top 5 wines of the year by Wine Spectator for $50 , the cheapest online was $100.  It took me a while but I now drink  the Kirkland brands (Rioja/Chianti Classico) and they are excellent.  Probably wouldn't serve them at a party just because I'd take to much grief.  Yes Costco is the largest wine seller in the US.

Edited by RetiredandTravel
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Great international wines in the $8 - $20 range.  Costco has done a great job recognizing that Spain, Portugal, Chile and Argentina offer a great quality / price.  They also have terrific deals on higher priced wines ($30 +) but the selection is very limited.  I bought a Chateauneuf du Pape a couple years back that was rated in the top 5 wines of the year by Wine Spectator for $50 , the cheapest online was $100.  It took me a while but I now drink  the Kirkland brands (Rioja/Chianti Classico) and they are excellent.  Probably wouldn't serve them at a party just because I'd take to much grief.  Yes Costco is the largest wine seller in the US.

I hear you.  I've bought the Kirkland labels for home drinking, and have almost always been impressed by the quality / price ration of those wines.  And like you, I'd probably not serve them at a dinner party just because of the ribbing I'd get.

I suppose the solution would be to just pour the wines into decanters and serve them, and not tell anyone what they were drinking until after.  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I'm envious of all of you Costco folks....doesn't help us at all, out here in the boonies.

I'll be overjoyed if I can get my Clicquot at 69 a bottle on the ship....that's only a little over what I'd pay

for a good price in a liquor store!

Now an Idea for the Regent's folks.....how 'bout making Clicquot spits available  in their bars? Surcharge wouldn't be a problem.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

I'm envious of all of you Costco folks....doesn't help us at all, out here in the boonies.

I'll be overjoyed if I can get my Clicquot at 69 a bottle on the ship....that's only a little over what I'd pay

for a good price in a liquor store!

Now an Idea for the Regent's folks.....how 'bout making Clicquot spits available  in their bars? Surcharge wouldn't be a problem.

Linda - That's an excellent idea.  For casual drinking (vice "serious drinking") up on the pool deck, Connoisseur Club, or before/after dinner, Constellation theater...the "splits" would be a great idea to be able to order, without having to waste/open and entire larger bottle.  Opened champagne definitely has a very short "shelf life".

• Like 2

Geez, I'd love that ! For me it would be a happy way to spend some of that OBC! Clicquot is my favorite, but I'd even think about a split of some other upscale bubbly!

I must admit however, that I've managed to suck up a fair amount of blue top......giggle!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, pingpong1 said:

Linda - That's an excellent idea.  For casual drinking (vice "serious drinking") up on the pool deck, Connoisseur Club, or before/after dinner, Constellation theater...the "splits" would be a great idea to be able to order, without having to waste/open and entire larger bottle.  Opened champagne definitely has a very short "shelf life".

Ugh...VC in those plastic glasses on the pool deck?  NEVER!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

Haha!

I agree about the glassware, but would sure like to see it in a bar or the dining room!

I can easily deal with blue top on deck 

1 hour ago, Kwaj girl said:

Sandy, I keep my standards low enough so that they're always exceeded, "no matter what!"  I've even been known to drink good single-malt out of a paper cup!  😵  Best Regards!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If you are on a cruise visiting any UK ports you can pick up VC for £48 in most large supermarkets. The big supermarkets (Tesco, Sainsbury's, Waitrose) often have a fantastic offer of 25% off 6 or more bottles which takes it down to £36. Perfect souvenir!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flgreg said:

@Rothko1 Do you have ABC stores in your location? VC currently $55.98 at ABC.

Yes.  But our local Costco has it cheaper.

When I meant "retail" price, I think I misspoke.  I meant the price you'd pay for a bottle of VC in a restaurant, not at a retail store.  

$85 to buy at a restaurant or onboard a ship is a pretty good price.  It's usually around $100 or more in any local restaurants.