Best Use of $300 onboard credit on Voyager

annmarz

We are looking forward to our first Regent cruise on Voyager next March.  What do you all think is the best way to use a $300 onboard credit?  We are not into wines, or fancy liquor.  So I guess that leaves the spa, gift shops and paid excursions.  Am I missing something?  We are happy with the free excursion offerings.  I know some people have said the small group tours are great, but my concern was the transportation used.  We really don't enjoy being crammed in bumpy vans.  Do they use buses instead? 

I have learned so much from this forum and all the discussions!  I appreciate any input and advice on this matter.

Yes, I think those are your choices with the credit.  Here is a spa price list (#5) {edited}.

In some cases the small tours may offer a better experience.  Yes many of the excursions are on buses with a tour guide which generally hold say 50-60 people and can vary from partially to completely full.  If you provide more specifics on your ports people may be able to give you some insight on how best to proceed with your excursions.  Have Fun!

Edited by RetiredandTravel

It also depends on the source of the OBC.  If Regent, then it is use or lose with the options described.  If, on the other hand, it was from your TA, it may be refundable in cash.  Your TA will know for sure.  Besides the Regent provided OBCs, some promotions through TAs are non-refundable, but others (like if your TA is applying a Virtuoso credit, they can be cashed out.  Regent has made this much easier to understand as your on-board account as viewed through your suite's TV will clearly articulate how much of any unused OBC is non-refundable.

Also, as a slight contradiction to RetiredandTravel, on the hundreds of Regent excursions we've been on, they've never used buses larger than the standard (~50) and never last seat full.  Usually about 80-90% full at the max, frequently less.  That said, small groups are best if, for instance, on walking tours versus scenic tours since there is more space in the great outdoors.  Finally, and a long-standing personal gripe, Regent should use the VOX/Whisperer devices that many travel companies use which allows you to hear the guides without crowding in or in quiet areas like churches.

On our Japan cruise (2019) the buses were 90-100% full.  If you read through some of the more recent trip reports there are quite a few people saying the same.  Not sure if its a new policy or a post Covid thing. I won't be able to say before our next Regent cruise which is out a ways.  We didn't really feel it was a big deal except its more difficult to get close to the tour guide.   We've always felt the Regent bus excursions were good but we are comfortable going around on our own.  I was estimating with the 50-60 on the bus, if you say its ~50 I'm with you.  I get the OBC from AMEX and use AMEX travel I'm guessing you can't get that back in cash.  We like wine anyway.🥳  VOX is a great idea.

9 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

I get the OBC from AMEX and use AMEX travel I'm guessing you can't get that back in cash.  

I'd expect that the OBC from AMEX would be refundable.  Basically, if the money doesn't come from Regent by one route or another, you should be able to get it back.  Ask AMEX.

• Thanks 1

To clarify, my OBC is from Amex so I will ask them.

My concern was not the size of the buses for the free excursions, but the vehicles used for the small group tours.  Are the large buses used for the small group excursions? I have had bad experiences with other cruise lines on "small group" tours which used little vans.

We are on the Buenos Aires to Rio itinerary, which includes 3 ports in Uruguay and the rest in Brazil. And I very much agree with Portolan re the VOX/Whisperer devices!

Our experience with the small group tours has been that either regular buses or smaller buses have been used.  All with central aisles.  Never a van and having to crawl in past seats in the front rows.  

• Like 3

It depends entirely on the port. On some Caribbean islands (such as Dominica) there are few buses. Most tours get a passenger van without aisles. Good thing, too, because the roads are so steep and windy that buses of any size would be impossible.

Regent contracts with shore-side companies for excursions, and has very little control over the vehicles used. What's available in one port might not be available in another.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2023 at 11:18 AM, RELS said:

It depends entirely on the port. On some Caribbean islands (such as Dominica) there are few buses. Most tours get a passenger van without aisles. Good thing, too, because the roads are so steep and windy that buses of any size would be impossible.

Regent contracts with shore-side companies for excursions, and has very little control over the vehicles used. What's available in one port might not be available in another.

Been to Dominica twice in the last two years.  No vans (and by vans I mean those "15 pax" vans with multiple rows to the rear of a sliding side door).  Maybe you've seen otherwise, but it has never happened to us in visits to nearly every port in the Caribbean.  YMMV.

9 minutes ago, Portolan said:

Been to Dominica twice in the last two years.  No vans (and by vans I mean those "15 pax" vans with multiple rows to the rear of a sliding side door).  Maybe you've seen otherwise, but it has never happened to us in visits to nearly every port in the Caribbean.  YMMV.

We went to the hot springs in vans. As you say, YMMV.

On 7/30/2023 at 8:46 PM, Portolan said:

I'd expect that the OBC from AMEX would be refundable.  Basically, if the money doesn't come from Regent by one route or another, you should be able to get it back.  Ask AMEX.

Pretty sure at least some of the AMEX credit comes from the cruise lines in the promo therefore non0refundable.