Livorno Cruise Port to Florence

NewAmsterdam

Apologies if this question has been asked on another thread.

We are first time cruisers and going on our cruise in a couple of weeks. One of the call of port is Livorno docking from 7am-7pm.

We are looking to visit Pisa and Florence.

How far is the train station from the port? Is it walking distance? What is the best mode of transport to get from the port to the stataion?

We are travelling on the Enchanted Princess, are they likely to provide a shuttle?

How much time should we allow to get back to the port on the return? I was thinking of being back for 6pm, is that enough time, what is the norm?

Apologies for the so many questions, I'm guessing you can tell I am an anxious first time cruiser. 🙂

• Like 1

You cannot walk out of the port at Livorno in most cases.  The ship will provide a transfer to Piazza Municipio in Livorno (for a fee), from there to the train station is 2.4 km/1.5 miles on foot.

Trying to see both Florence and Pisa is quite a lot, it would be better to focus on just Florence, or pair Pisa with Lucca.

• Like 1

Most ships require you to be back on board 30 minutes before sailing at the minimum. Like you, though, I prefer to be back at least an hour in advance.

If you take a ship shuttle into Livorno, as mentioned above, there is a local bus that can take you from there to the train station.

Alternatively, there is a fairly economical private tour/bus option that departs from Piazza Municipio that will get you to either Florence only or Florence and probably a quick photo stop at Pisa (no time for climbing tower).

I agree with euro cruiser that it may be best to focus just on Florence.

Depending on what you want to see and do in Florence, you probably won't have time for Pisa.  Make a list and think about the time you need for each location.  7a-7p may sound like a long port day, but when you factor in getting to the train station at each end and getting back to the ship by 6ish, it's pretty tight. 

We went to both cities (via train), but our sightseeing needs were quite simple ! In Pisa we just wanted a quick photo opp at the Leaning Tower, and in Florence we only wanted to see the Duomo (outside only) plus tour the Market.  So it was very easy to accomplish. 

This was our day .....we took the train to Pisa Centrale, grabbed a cab to the Square of Miracles where we spent 20-30 minutes, then took a cab back to the Pisa station, and caught a train to Florence.  The Duomo and the Market are very close to the Florence SMN station (10-15 minute walk) so we wandered around the Market, did some shopping and had lunch, then walked to the Duomo.  

Tuscany Bus offers a shuttle to Florence and Pisa, leaving from downtown Livorno. When I looked into it, it was an 8hr day so only 1 hour for pisa and 3 or 4hrs for Florence.  

12 hours ago, NewAmsterdam said:

Livorno docking from 7am-7pm.

We are looking to visit Pisa and Florence.

A Pisa and Florence combo can be done but there are many compromises to be made should you decide on that option, and you can read about them on previous threads.

There have been multiple previous threads on the topic of Livorno to Florence, the pros and cons in addition to the practicalities of getting there and back, and depending on your plans in Florence, info on pre-booking timed entry tickets.  I used the CC search box with the words  Livorno to Florence and there are almost 1000 in the results.  You can choose which to read from here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=livorno to florence&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=464

There will of course also be a large number of previous threads about visiting Pisa and you might want to also read some of them.  Pisa is often doubled up with Tuscan gem Lucca (already mentioned above) as these are a more manageable duo in the timeframe and you will find references to it too.

Edited by edinburgher

On 7/30/2023 at 9:05 PM, euro cruiser said:

You cannot walk out of the port at Livorno in most cases.  The ship will provide a transfer to Piazza Municipio in Livorno (for a fee), from there to the train station is 2.4 km/1.5 miles on foot.

Trying to see both Florence and Pisa is quite a lot, it would be better to focus on just Florence, or pair Pisa with Lucca.

Thank you. What sights do you recommend to see in Florence? How many hours do you think we'll need? Don't really want to go inside any sights, just pics really? 

12 hours ago, edinburgher said:

A Pisa and Florence combo can be done but there are many compromises to be made should you decide on that option, and you can read about them on previous threads.

There have been multiple previous threads on the topic of Livorno to Florence, the pros and cons in addition to the practicalities of getting there and back, and depending on your plans in Florence, info on pre-booking timed entry tickets.  I used the CC search box with the words  Livorno to Florence and there are almost 1000 in the results.  You can choose which to read from here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=livorno to florence&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=464

There will of course also be a large number of previous threads about visiting Pisa and you might want to also read some of them.  Pisa is often doubled up with Tuscan gem Lucca (already mentioned above) as these are a more manageable duo in the timeframe and you will find references to it too.

Thank you for your reply, appreciate it. We don't really want to go inside any of the sights to be honest. Just photo opportunity really, you think it would still be much? 

22 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

Depending on what you want to see and do in Florence, you probably won't have time for Pisa.  Make a list and think about the time you need for each location.  7a-7p may sound like a long port day, but when you factor in getting to the train station at each end and getting back to the ship by 6ish, it's pretty tight. 

We went to both cities (via train), but our sightseeing needs were quite simple ! In Pisa we just wanted a quick photo opp at the Leaning Tower, and in Florence we only wanted to see the Duomo (outside only) plus tour the Market.  So it was very easy to accomplish. 

This was our day .....we took the train to Pisa Centrale, grabbed a cab to the Square of Miracles where we spent 20-30 minutes, then took a cab back to the Pisa station, and caught a train to Florence.  The Duomo and the Market are very close to the Florence SMN station (10-15 minute walk) so we wandered around the Market, did some shopping and had lunch, then walked to the Duomo.  

Tuscany Bus offers a shuttle to Florence and Pisa, leaving from downtown Livorno. When I looked into it, it was an 8hr day so only 1 hour for pisa and 3 or 4hrs for Florence.  

Thank you for your message. That's exactly what we want to do. We want to visit both places and just take photos etc, you think that would be doable? 

On 7/30/2023 at 9:23 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Most ships require you to be back on board 30 minutes before sailing at the minimum. Like you, though, I prefer to be back at least an hour in advance.

If you take a ship shuttle into Livorno, as mentioned above, there is a local bus that can take you from there to the train station.

Alternatively, there is a fairly economical private tour/bus option that departs from Piazza Municipio that will get you to either Florence only or Florence and probably a quick photo stop at Pisa (no time for climbing tower).

I agree with euro cruiser that it may be best to focus just on Florence.

Thanks, do you remember the number of the bus? 

28 minutes ago, Langoustine said:

I've been to Pisa, Lucca, and Florence. Skip Pisa, see Florence. Or if you have to see Pisa, skip Florence and see Lucca. (You will hate yourself for skipping Florence)

Thanks for your message. For both Pisa and Florence we just want to take it in, enjoy the moment and take some pics, is that still doable? What is recommended to must see in Florence? For Pisa we are only going for the leaning tower. 

51 minutes ago, NewAmsterdam said:

Thank you for your message. That's exactly what we want to do. We want to visit both places and just take photos etc, you think that would be doable? 

Well, we did it, so yes, it's do-able ! 

We had the advantage of NCL's direct shuttle from ship to train station.  You probably won't have that luxury, so it will be more cumbersome for you to get to the station.  Will you be comfortable with that?  You'll need to take the Princess shuttle to downtown Livorno, then either walk to the train station (1.5 miles, so 30 minutes?), or find a city bus to the train station.

If you think that's too cumbersome, see if Princess offers a tour called something like " Pisa and Florence on your Own".   If so, their bus would take you to each city and then you're on your own to sightsee. The advantage would be bus service to and from the ship. But more costly.

Or consider an option from Tuscany Bus. You'd still need to need to take the Princess shuttle to downtown Livorno, but the excursion leaves from a spot nearby. This tour would give you just over an hr in Pisa, then 3 1/2 hrs in Florence. 

Transfer service to Florence and Pisa from Livorno (shore-experience.com)

So yes, it can be done. What's your comfort level with getting to/from the train station? 

Keep in mind, that you won't be alone...several hundred others will be walking to the train station or looking for the city bus. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NewAmsterdam said:

Thanks for your message. For both Pisa and Florence we just want to take it in, enjoy the moment and take some pics, is that still doable? What is recommended to must see in Florence? For Pisa we are only going for the leaning tower. 

Yes, it's "doable" but it would really leave me wanting more.  However, if you're sure you only plan on walking around and taking pictures this can be done.

As already mentioned at your ship Livorno is offering a bus transfer city center for 7 euros (they take euros or credit card) per person.  From Piazza Municipio you still need to get to the train station (aprx 1.5 miles) which can be done on foot or city bus.  Keep in mind you're going to be losing time in getting to the train station, then waiting for the next train, again in Pisa waiting for the train to Florence, plus time spent in Pisa trying to get cab to/from Field of Miracles.

While not a fan I'll mention in Livorno's Piazza Municipio there were multiple bus companies picking up cruisers and going to the major cities. I recommend doing some research on Livorno Cruise Excursions, Day Trips from Livorno, etc., and I know you'll find several options.  I know in Livorno this month one of the bus companies did offer a trip from Livorno which included Pisa (about 75 minutes) and Florence (about 3.5 hours).  (Keep in mind this will adjust due to traffic!)

In Pisa I believe the bus will park about one mile from the Field of Miracles, but you'll still have time to walk and get your photos.  Then in Florence you can walk by the Duomo, Piazza della Repubblica, Ponte Vecchio, and still have time to sit down for an apéritif or gelato.  You'll definitely not have time for the Uffizi Gallery, Accademia Gallery or Pitti Palace.

I forgot all about Florence does offer golf cart tours which is a fast way to see a lot of the city.  The only downsides are they don't actually go into the historical plaza area (skirt all around it, with glimpses) and you need to have a set time.  You might contact them if there's any flexibility in timing.  Also, if you book your tickets ahead of time you could probably so the Accademia or the Duomo.

22 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

We had the advantage of NCL's direct shuttle from ship to train station.  You probably won't have that luxury, so it will be more cumbersome for you to get to the station.  Will you be comfortable with that?  You'll need to take the Princess shuttle to downtown Livorno, then either walk to the train station (1.5 miles, so 30 minutes?), or find a city bus to the train station.

If you think that's too cumbersome, see if Princess offers a tour called something like " Pisa and Florence on your Own".   If so, their bus would take you to each city and then you're on your own to sightsee. The advantage would be bus service to and from the ship. But more costly.

Or consider an option from Tuscany Bus. You'd still need to need to take the Princess shuttle to downtown Livorno, but the excursion leaves from a spot nearby. This tour would give you just over an hr in Pisa, then 3 1/2 hrs in Florence. 

So yes, it can be done. What's your comfort level with getting to/from the train station? 

Keep in mind, that you won't be alone...several hundred others will be walking to the train station or looking for the city bus. 

Thank you for your message. Your tips are helpful. 

Do you reckon booking train tickets in advance is a good move or are we able to purchase on the day? Do train tickets sell out or you have to have a seat and can not stand in the train? 

On 7/31/2023 at 9:04 AM, edinburgher said:

Thanks for your message. 

Should I be booking train tickets in advance, do tickets get sold out or we  can still purchase on the day and worse case stand if no seats are available. 

On 7/30/2023 at 9:05 PM, euro cruiser said:

Thanks for your message. 

Thinking we'll do Pisa and Florence as only wanting photo opportunity. Do you reckon we should book train tickets in advance or can we purchase on the day? Do train tickets get sold out or can we stand worse case if no seats available. TIA 

These are regionale trains, which means they cannot sell out.  You may wind up standing in any case as they are not seat assigned trains.  

The difficulty with purchasing day of is the lines at the station, since hundreds of your fellow cruisers will be doing the same thing, struggling with the machines to figure out the language, etc.  To speed things along, I would use the app to purchase the tickets but you can do it the morning of the trip.

17 minutes ago, NewAmsterdam said:

Thank you for your message. Your tips are helpful. 

Do you reckon booking train tickets in advance is a good move or are we able to purchase on the day? Do train tickets sell out or you have to have a seat and can not stand in the train? 

We bought our tickets at the station.

We were a party of 4 seniors who had never travelled together so we didn't know how quick we'd be in the morning!  Our original plan was to visit Florence first, and if we had time, stop in Pisa on the way back.  But we missed the train to Florence so we flipped the itinerary and went to Pisa first.  An advantage of buying at the station !

On that cruise we bought tickets at the station for each port. Or the convenience store next door.

I visited Pisa and Florence during a land trip this past May.  Used the trenitalia app and bought tickets on the day of travel.  Then we didn't have to worry about lines at the machines or validating our tickets ... just show your phone to the conductor. 

10 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

These are regionale trains, which means they cannot sell out.  You may wind up standing in any case as they are not seat assigned trains.  

The difficulty with purchasing day of is the lines at the station, since hundreds of your fellow cruisers will be doing the same thing, struggling with the machines to figure out the language, etc.  To speed things along, I would use the app to purchase the tickets but you can do it the morning of the trip.

Take your points on board. Which app should I use to book the tickets?  Would these be etickets? 

46 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

We bought our tickets at the station.

We were a party of 4 seniors who had never travelled together so we didn't know how quick we'd be in the morning!  Our original plan was to visit Florence first, and if we had time, stop in Pisa on the way back.  But we missed the train to Florence so we flipped the itinerary and went to Pisa first.  An advantage of buying at the station !

On that cruise we bought tickets at the station for each port. Or the convenience store next door.

I visited Pisa and Florence during a land trip this past May.  Used the trenitalia app and bought tickets on the day of travel.  Then we didn't have to worry about lines at the machines or validating our tickets ... just show your phone to the conductor. 

That's some sound advise. May have to follow in your steps. Thank you. 

You can still use the app, even at the station, if you find the backup for in person purchases too long.  We missed a train several years ago because both the ticket windows and the machines were completely backed up with cruisers.  The app can be used to purchase tickets up to five minutes prior to the train departure time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
On 7/31/2023 at 3:13 PM, mapleleaves said:

We are on the NCL Escape visiting Florence in just a few weeks taking the train from Livorno to Florence.  Since I am unable to see the transfers until I board, could you please let us know when you booked your NCL transfer that took you to the Livorno train station directly and how much it was?  Do you book it through the shore excursion desk?