Newest Refurbished Ships

tedbearz

• tedbearz changed the title to Newest Refurbished Ships
8 hours ago, Pitzel said:

The NCL website lists the refurb dates for all of the ships in the fleet: https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship

I'm not sure how accurate that really is.  I was on the Escape in March of this year, some "wear and tear" was evident, despite the "refurb" date there being just last year.  It's marketing spin - that was probably the last DRY DOCK, but it doesn't really mean there were renovations done to or within the ship beyond the statutory requirements.  The Escape went to dry dock last year after hitting the sand bar leaving Puerto Plata, but it was an emergency visit so interior renovations were not likely to have been completed as they wouldn't have been planned for.

Take the Joy, for another example.  I know for a fact that ship actually DID have major renovations in 2019, to "westernize" it, to the point that more work shouldn't have been needed inside so soon after but a 'renovation' date on that site is listed as 2020.  The ship was built in 2017, with the 2019 re-fit I believe also accounting for the statutory inspections/dry-dock (I believe they took the opportunity to do it then, there's a whole thread on what was done).  I don't know what was done to the ship in 2020, but she's going for dry dock and some ACTUAL major renovations (not to the existing cabins though) early next year, for which there are a couple threads already.

10 hours ago, tedbearz said:

Which ships have undergone extensive recent refurbishments including cabin rooms?

I looked at this site last week and found it very helpful. It has a good bit of detail about what actually was done during the dry docks.

https://www.cruisemapper.com/wiki/767-cruise-ship-refurbishment-dry-dock-schedule

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tedbearz said:

Which ships have undergone extensive recent refurbishments including cabin rooms?

NCL is pretty good about doing major dry docks every 5 years. The focus of the dry docks is on the public areas, often tearing them all down to the deck plates and rebuilding. Staterooms are more hit-or-miss, often getting new a mattress/bedding/sofa pillows but maybe not much more (i.e., they don't replace all of the sofas, closets, desks, drawers, sinks, toilets.) 

Quite often the “refurbs” that are done will not include any significant upgrade of cabins.  Most dry docks tend to be more focused on mechanical overhaul and updating some public areas with repaints, change of carpets and soft furnishing.

You may get some things like mattresses, curtains and balcony furniture updated in cabins, but not always.

Reality is it’s very hard to get these specific details of what’s been updated, unless you look for reviews and videos etc of people travelling after these refurbs where they go into the detail of things that may have changed.

• Like 1

What makes this especially challenging is that the stateroom photos often reflect the OLD cabins, even if they have been updated. The website often does not reflect the latest look right away. Photos or videos from passengers sailing after the dry dock dates are often more accurate.

• Like 2