NCL Sun pool use

dad son team

I'll be taking my first Alaskan cruise in early September and I'm wondering if I should bother bringing a swimsuit.  Is there ever a good opportunity to use the pool during a September Alaskan cruise?  I don't believe the Sun has a covered pool area. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, dad son team said:

I'll be taking my first Alaskan cruise in early September and I'm wondering if I should bother bringing a swimsuit.  Is there ever a good opportunity to use the pool during a September Alaskan cruise?  I don't believe the Sun has a covered pool area. 

100% depends on the weather on the day of your cruise. During most cruises, the pool loungers will be filled. The last time we did a labor day cruise, we were out in shorts and t-shirts for most of the cruise (except glacier day). The evenings will get cool (fleece, not parka). 

If you are sailing around labor day, the average temps in Vancouver will be high 60's during that week. If you like the sun, it is nice weather to be outside (especially for a New Yorker). Temperature in ports in the low 60's including Seward - we're from colder climates, so that is still shorts weather for us. This year, it may be hotter than "average"... again, you really won't know until the week before your cruise. We always pack swimsuits for Alaska (and we sail to Alaska every year). 

image.png.2aa085fb2f554321b7e2eeb254652257.png

2 hours ago, dad son team said:

Ithaca isn't too much cooler than where I am (a wee bit north and east of you). I haven't sailed to Alaska, however when I do, I'll absolutely be bringing my bathing suit! At the very least, you can enjoy the hot tubs! Unless you don't do human soup bowls. I do, but understand why others may stay away (more soup for me)! 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I haven't sailed to Alaska, however when I do, I'll absolutely be bringing my bathing suit! At the very least, you can enjoy the hot tubs! Unless you don't do human soup bowls. I do, but understand why others may stay away (more soup for me)! 

I came here to say this. Not a big fan of pools, but hot-tubs are best when it's cold out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dad son team said:

Our cruise to Alaska from Seattle was Labor Day weekend a few years ago on the Jewel. It was 82F and the pool was packed for sail away. I used it a number of times on the cruise. It was heated to about 85f

• Like 1

We were on the NCL Sun in mid-September for the Seattle to Inner Passage round trip. The pool was heated enough that I swam in it every day and enjoyed having it mostly to myself. The air temperature on the outside deck was in the high 30F to low 40s. 

The pool is not covered. It's up to you whether you would swim if the air is cold or not. They did have warm blankets available, which I did wrap myself up in after I got out of the pool and hot tubs.

• Like 1