Transfers from Trieste to Venice

Mkdvmz

We will arrive in Trieste on 10/30/23 on the Riviera.The cruise was labeled as Rome to Venice. I understand completely that cruise ships are no longer allowed to dock in Venice, which occurred after this cruise was scheduled. Looking at previous posts, someone posted a disembarkation form showing free transport from Trieste to VCE on the day of disembarkation. 
however, it now appears, one is charged $89 for this transfer. Given the cruise was supposed to end in Venice, and all literaturestill refers to the cruise as Rome to Venice (gladiators to gondolas) I find it quite irresponsible for Oceania to charge cruise passengers to actually arrive at the stated destination! 

If it were a last minute change, I would agree. However, I assume when you booked the cruise, you knew it arrived in Trieste, and if not, you certainly had time to cancel with no penalty if the switch is that bothersome to you. Oceania's pricing is often way high for excursions and transfers, but in this case IMHO this charge is reasonable. 

11 hours ago, Panama111 said:

When the port was changed we decided to spend 3 nights in Trieste with a day trip to Slovenia. We booked our flight home departing from Trieste. We have been to Venice before and Trieste looks fabulous.

We were on a cruise in May from Trieste and I wish we had spent our time there as you are doing! We decided to spend a couple of extra days in Venice even though we had been there before. We regret that decision as the crowds were horrendous! Venice is a challenging city as is to navigate but with the extreme crowds it was less than enjoyable. 

7 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

We were on a cruise in May from Trieste and I wish we had spent our time there as you are doing! We decided to spend a couple of extra days in Venice even though we had been there before. We regret that decision as the crowds were horrendous! Venice is a challenging city as is to navigate but with the extreme crowds it was less than enjoyable. 

What time of year were you in Venice? We will be there in the middle of October. Have not been there for a long time. Had not considered spending the 2 extra days pre-cruise in Trieste. When we booked, the cruise started from Venice, it changed a few months later.

Just now, SATaxman said:

What time of year were you in Venice? We will be there in the middle of October. Have not been there for a long time. Had not considered spending the 2 extra days pre-cruise in Trieste. When we booked, the cruise started from Venice, it changed a few months later.

I just saw that you said, May. 🙂

6 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

I just saw that you said, May. 🙂

Hopefully by October some of the pent up demand from COVID has declined and it will be a much better experience.  We were there for a couple of days around May 17.

5 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

Hopefully by October some of the pent up demand from COVID has declined and it will be a much better experience.  We were there for a couple of days around May 17.

Thanks. 

I am affected by the Venice/Trieste switch.  Like to original poster, I am annoyed at Oceania for ending last year's policy of free transfer between ship and airport when using O air.  Have noticed a wave of cost cutting this year since a change in top management in Miami.  One example was Regatta this June with dramatically reduced menu options, mostly elimination of higher end entrees such as Veal Oscar, and lower quality meats.  Seafood offerings in Alaska were ho-hum.  Never saw a crab claw.  This is what happens when bean-counters mess around in the premium hospitality business.  Affluent consumers will consider moving up to better lines.  IMO, Oceania should think very very carefully about losing its "Best Cuisine at Sea" reputation.  

• Like 4

We disembarked the Riviera in Trieste in April going to Venice airport. 

The transfer had no extra fee. 

However, our group (assembled by Oceania - we were only 2) had to stand on the cold windy pier for 50 minutes until "our" bus arrived even though many busses pulled up. Some just waiting.  When we finally got on the bus, the man working there with his clipboard told the driver, "this one goes to the Venice airport" So there was no need to stand around for our special bus.  It was freezing and some people had a very difficult time standing. One gentleman even fell.

We disembark in Trieste on October 30. We fly out early on October 31. At first, I found a transport to Venice. Then was told I also needed a water taxi to get to the hotel. After much consideration about time and cost, we have now decided to take Oceania’s transport to the airport ($69 pp) and then we will take a free hotel shuttle to our hotel which is close to the airport. There are buses and taxis that can take us to the main Venice island if we choose to do that. This seemed like the most cost efficient way for us to do it since our flight leaves the next day at 6:30 am. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cucruisin said:

We disembark in Trieste on October 30. We fly out early on October 31. At first, I found a transport to Venice. Then was told I also needed a water taxi to get to the hotel. After much consideration about time and cost, we have now decided to take Oceania’s transport to the airport ($69 pp) and then we will take a free hotel shuttle to our hotel which is close to the airport. There are buses and taxis that can take us to the main Venice island if we choose to do that. This seemed like the most cost efficient way for us to do it since our flight leaves the next day at 6:30 am. 

We have a similar plan for next June. Which hotel did you choose? How did you determine that their shuttle will run early enough (4:30 AM?) to get you to the airport for a 6:30 AM flight?

Thanks

Edited by Croooser

The current fare listed on the Oceania website is $89 for a transfer from the ship to the airport. The fares listed for car transport are substantially higher than what local companies are charging including direct water taxi transport to hotel. Just suggesting everyone check out their options

17 hours ago, cucruisin said:

This is what we ended up doing in May. I briefly considered the train but then decided it was less stress to book the O shuttle to the airport. The problem was we wait.... an hour or so for stragglers who didn't disembark when they were supposed to. Two couples got on while we were waiting, but we eventually left without everyone. Wish people would respect times.....

• Like 1

We are - so to speak - in the same boat.  Cruise ends in Trieste.  Yes we could spend a couple of nights in Trieste but it still leaves us a long long day to get home.  (Train Trieste/Milano C/Brig/Martigny - almost 9 hours).  I do not want to do that.  I DO want to have lunch at the Locanda Cipriani on Torcello.   So - we have set up a private transfer via our TA and Oceania to the Piazzale Roma in Venice.  Water taxi to the hotel (Hyatt on Murano).  Yes expensive but I do not want to take an Allilaguna bus from the airport with 2 suitcases and 2 carry ons...  No grazie!   Hyatt apparently has a boat from the airport several times a day but I also do not want to wait an hour for a boat.  I know - First world problems!   It is what it is and we will enjoy the ride and the watertaxi too.

What I don't understand is why Oceania has to end the cruise in Trieste ?  Why not Mestre ?  Or somewhere nearer to Venice?  Trieste is over 2 hours by car... and we dock on May 1 which is a huge public holiday so limited (Sunday service) trains etc...

Lunch at Locanda Cipriani is a wonderful event. We have been several times and it is always a highlight. The island of Torcello, while small is quite interesting to walk about, so leave time before or after lunch. The restaurant is closed on Tuesdays, so plan accordingly. We aren’t able to go this year,as Tuesday would be our only option, so disappointed 

Our cruise ends at Trieste on Oct. 11. After looking at many options, we decided to take the train from Trieste to Venice Santa Lucia station. From there, we buy a 2-day pass and take a vaporetto to our hotel nearby. We will use the vaporetto to get around Venice, then will get the bus from Piazzale Roma to Marco Polo airport. We think this will work out okay. We've been in Venice before but stayed on Guidecca.

We were unsure about some of the car services because they are basically websites that contract with private drivers, but seem to wash their hands of any responsibility after they pass off the booking to the driver.

OK. Looking for recommendations here.

• Arriving Trieste at 8:00 AM 6/29/24 on Vista
  • Booked on UAL out of Marco Polo at 6:40 AM on 6/30/24 - best available option - not likely to change
  • Thinking Oceania shuttle to Marco Polo will be best price and will run 6/29 AM - good idea?
  • Thinking then - Airport Bus to Piazza Roma and a hotel an easy walk form there - we have no mobility issues so can walk a few blocks with the luggage that we will have. This will give us an afternoon and evening in Venice.
  • Thinking then an early land taxi (first airport bus of the day is at 4:20 AM) from Piazza Roma - say 3:30 AM - airport says arrive 3 hours before flight but it looks like airport does not open until 4:00 AM
  • OR should we book one of the hotels within a few km of the airport and rely on a shuttle or taxi. Looks like a hotel shuttle early is a little iffy and it appears that the streets between the hotels and the airport are not walkable? Also would mean getting a shuttle to the hotel, then a bus into Venice (or sit in the hotel all day and skip the day in Venice) and another bus back from Venice and another hotel shuttle just to be closer to the airport? Sounds like a much worse option, but am I missing something?

Any and all thoughts from those of yoou who have any recent experience is grealy appreciated - especially with similar early flights.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Wavedance said:

Our cruise ends at Trieste on Oct. 11. After looking at many options, we decided to take the train from Trieste to Venice Santa Lucia station. From there, we buy a 2-day pass and take a vaporetto to our hotel nearby. We will use the vaporetto to get around Venice, then will get the bus from Piazzale Roma to Marco Polo airport. We think this will work out okay. We've been in Venice before but stayed on Guidecca.

We were unsure about some of the car services because they are basically websites that contract with private drivers, but seem to wash their hands of any responsibility after they pass off the booking to the driver.

I think this will work fine.  We took the train from Venice to Trieste and it worked fine. 

On 8/7/2023 at 10:04 PM, Mkdvmz said:

Lunch at Locanda Cipriani is a wonderful event. We have been several times and it is always a highlight. The island of Torcello, while small is quite interesting to walk about, so leave time before or after lunch. The restaurant is closed on Tuesdays, so plan accordingly. We aren’t able to go this year,as Tuesday would be our only option, so disappointed 

We have been to Torcello maybe 10 or more times, starting 40 years ago...  it is indeed a lovely place to walk around (and quiet too compared to Venice itself!).  it is always the highlight of our stay in Venice.  (well - the year we were invited to view the Regatta Storica from the roof of a palazzo on the Grand Canal it had competition!!)   The only reason we are going to Venice after our cruise is to eat at the Locanda, walk around the island and see the mosaics.   Happily we plan to be there on a Thursday!

On 8/7/2023 at 6:04 PM, Wavedance said:

We are on that cruise, also. Embarking in Tarragona. First time on O.