Pinnacle steak in main dining room

Sherbertscamper

This is going to be a stupid question, but I see people talking about lobster at the PG and I have never eaten that before at a restaurant so here is the question: will I have to crack the lobster or is it served in a way that I can just eat it without making a fool of myself? Thinking about trying the Surf n' Turf. 

4 minutes ago, firsttimer1971 said:

This is going to be a stupid question, but I see people talking about lobster at the PG and I have never eaten that before at a restaurant so here is the question: will I have to crack the lobster or is it served in a way that I can just eat it without making a fool of myself? Thinking about trying the Surf n' Turf. 

Your server will separate the meat from the tail at table side.

Edited by Crew News
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

I've asked DH that question several times during each of our last 3 cruises. He just refuses to eat PG steak in MDR saying food will not be hot and steaks won't be as good.

Take a shot it's only $20.00 to find out, and remind him that a good steak has to "rest" before you cut into it. Think of the extra 30 seconds it will take that steak to make it to your table as "rest" time. And if the steak isn't as good oh well you tried. If it is just as good you save at least $25.00 on that steak.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, firsttimer1971 said:

will I have to crack the lobster or is it served in a way that I can just eat it without making a fool of myself?

It's the tail only.  And as @Crew Newsmentioned above, the waiter will remove the meat from the shell for you.

~Nancy

• Like 1

Well, I learned something here!  Not that I would ever order a PG steak to the MDR or via room service, but it's educational to know that you can.

Yes, you can order Uber Eats from a fine steakhouse, but you're missing out on the experience of being in said steakhouse.  Some people don't care (like those folks who are okay getting a PG steak delivered to their stateroom), and I admit that sometimes the service and ambiance in the PG don't live up to expectations.

But I, for one, am happy to pay the PG upcharge on occasion for the overall experience of dining there.  The food, service, and ambiance make for a nice change of pace on a longer cruise.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, iceman93 said:

Well, I learned something here!  Not that I would ever order a PG steak to the MDR or via room service, but it's educational to know that you can.

Yes, you can order Uber Eats from a fine steakhouse, but you're missing out on the experience of being in said steakhouse.  Some people don't care (like those folks who are okay getting a PG steak delivered to their stateroom), and I admit that sometimes the service and ambiance in the PG don't live up to expectations.

But I, for one, am happy to pay the PG upcharge on occasion for the overall experience of dining there.  The food, service, and ambiance make for a nice change of pace on a longer cruise.

With a $46.00 (+18% service charge) per person cover charge, the service should be exemplary EVERY time. If they're going to charge $100.00 for a couple just to walk through the door and also charge extra for many menu items it better be outstanding from the moment you walk in until you walk out the door. Keep in mind these guests have already paid for a multi course meal at another restaurant, included in there fare. I have to say we would never have dinner in Pinnacle Grill if it wasn't included in our "Have it All" fare.

45 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

With a $46.00 (+18% service charge) per person cover charge, the service should be exemplary EVERY time. If they're going to charge $100.00 for a couple just to walk through the door and also charge extra for many menu items it better be outstanding from the moment you walk in until you walk out the door. Keep in mind these guests have already paid for a multi course meal at another restaurant, included in there fare. I have to say we would never have dinner in Pinnacle Grill if it wasn't included in our "Have it All" fare.

Four of us went to a quality land based steakhouse a week ago Saturday. The bill was nearly $650 and that was with only 2 cocktails totaling $26 on the bill. And there was not a gratuity included so for $100 for 2 people I would consider that not to be that bad. HAL has to factor in the percentage of mariners receiving discounts when pricing out their menu. 

8 minutes ago, Laminator said:

Four of us went to a quality land based steakhouse a week ago Saturday. The bill was nearly $650 and that was with only 2 cocktails totaling $26 on the bill. And there was not a gratuity included so for $100 for 2 people I would consider that not to be that bad. HAL has to factor in the percentage of mariners receiving discounts when pricing out their menu. 

Was the service perfect? Was there a $45.00 cover charge just to walk through the door? 

I'm afraid that I don't care that you paid a ridiculous price for Dinner at a steak house on land, all that means is you have money to spend. Just because some establishments are able to charge these prices and some people can afford it, doesn't make any meal worth $160.00 per person. I'll buy the whole dry aged loin and cook it at home. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

Was the service perfect? Was there a $45.00 cover charge just to walk through the door? 

I'm afraid that I don't care that you paid a ridiculous price for Dinner at a steak house on land, all that means is you have money to spend. Just because some establishments are able to charge these prices and some people can afford it, doesn't make any meal worth $160.00 per person. I'll buy the whole dry aged loin and cook it at home. 

Was the service perfect? No...It was very good though. More than good enough for our tables needs. 

It was my daughter's 40th birthday so it was a special occasion and that is where she wanted to go. Whether I have/had the money to spend I would have made sure I had it for that occasion. I can go down the street from my house and get soup or salad, entree with 2 sides and dessert for $8.99 plus tax every night. Some nights I do. 

There are many items on the specialty restaurants menus that are not available in the MDR. I am also not a fan of the hustle and bustle of the MDR. You consider it a cover charge. I consider more of a special occasion.

Plus I appreciate a quieter environment so I can hear a conversation. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Take a shot it's only $20.00 to find out, and remind him that a good steak has to "rest" before you cut into it. Think of the extra 30 seconds it will take that steak to make it to your table as "rest" time. And if the steak isn't as good oh well you tried. If it is just as good you save at least $25.00 on that steak.

Three of our family had those in May o/b NS. Steaks were very good and grandson asked me if a 2nd one might be possible 🤣 . My answer was no (because of health reasons not during the same meal/day.week). 

• Thanks 1