Marketing Zoom Conference

SLSD

I just completed an hour long  marketing Zoom Conference with Seabourn's research firm.  No one asked or suggested that what was discussed should be confidential.  The researcher asked a series of questions and showed a series of photos to elicit comments and reactions.  There were six people included in the conversation, plus the host---four men and two women plus a female host. The upshot is that most everyone is in favor of asking Seabourn cruisers to dress well, but casually and comfortably instead of in more formal clothing.  In other words, none of the six (me included) spoke up for continuing formal nights and other dressy occasions.  

There was a lot of talk about things like intuitive service, what the term luxury cruise means to you, etc. etc.  The other cruisers had all been on  a number cruise lines  in addition to Seabourn  that are not luxury cruise lines--lines like Disney, Carnival, Oceania, Viking, etc. Several, like me, had been on both Seabourn and Silversea.  One had cruised with Regent.  

It was an interesting experience, but I am not at all sure how useful it was for Seabourn.  And, there was no opportunity to mention dogs on board. Of course I did manage to stress that it was important to me that there be plentiful lunch options other than buffet as buffets do not say luxury cruise to me.  

• Like 1

Well done you however, disappointing about the dress code question, I fear thats the slippery slope to casual wear and or even jeans. I maybe in the minority here though but we like to " dress up" while on board. Having said that we would go with the flow or give it a miss.  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, fudge said:

Well done you however, disappointing about the dress code question, I fear thats the slippery slope to casual wear and or even jeans. I maybe in the minority here though but we like to " dress up" while on board. Having said that we would go with the flow or give it a miss.  

I am in the process of packing for the Encore now.

I am taking a tux,three summer suits, two jackets and two ties,bow tie and cummerbund.

Two pairs of evening shoes and countless other loafers.

I have not even got to the shirts and the rest yet.

You can't beat looking good can you.

I have got to keep smart to keep being my wife's arm candy.

Happy cruising.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

I am taking a tux,three summer suits, two jackets and two ties,bow tie and cummerbund.

Happy cruising.

Well, I absolutely love men in bow ties and Mr. SLSD always takes several.  

I wish someone else on the zoom conversation would show up here as everyone always hears something different over an hour's conversation. 

The subject of the destination team ad excursions also came up.  Everyone seemed to be in favor of better excursions with smaller groups.  There was one man in the group who wanted more active excursions. 

I’m just taking a break from packing for Odyssey next week.  

For evenings.

Three dress shirts.

Two pair of twill trousers (which passed on Ovation last month).

One pair of quite stylish loafers.

A sport coat which will be wore onto the plane per Seabourn mandate.

Were the dress code relaxed the only change I’d make is leaving the sport coat behind.

I’ve a closet full of bespoke suits but after 40 years of ‘proper work attire’ I’m done.  To those who enjoy, I applaud you, but have no desire to join you.

The funny part is, I suspect Mr. Luxury and myself would be fast friends.  See you onboard one day sir.

Edited by jondfk
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, jondfk said:

For evenings.

Three dress shirts.

A sport coat will be wore onto the plane per Seabourn mandate.

Were the dress code relaxed the only change I’d make is leaving the sport coat behind.

I’ve a closet full of bespoke suits but after 40 years of ‘proper work attire’ I’m done.  To those who enjoy, I applaud you, but have no desire to join you.

The funny part is, I suspect Mr. Luxury and myself would be fast friends.  See you onboard one day sir.

That would be lovely.

Have a great time on the Odyssey 

I'm sure you'll look splendid.

1 minute ago, Basfla said:

But is it the suit that makes the man or the man that makes the suit? I prefer the latter point of view. 

Always the man.

Luckily I am fit and in good shape therefore the clothes fit well and look good.

My wife agrees 😀

26 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Happy cruising.

Oh, so now I know you…it was you I saw dining alfresco at the Colonade in 35 degree heat, wearing a suit and bow tie.  This was a few years back on an Athens/Malta cruise.  

16 minutes ago, jondfk said:

For evenings.

Three dress shirts.

I think we would all like Mr. Luxury and enjoy meeting him .  I've been trying to get Mr. SLSD to add some seersucker summer suits to his wardrobe for DECADES.  (We celebrated our 47th wedding anniversary yesterday).  He just won't do it.  He thinks they are an affectation of the South--and we are Southerners!  I want to add that we always dress as per dress code--just on the low end of the Formal Night code.  Mr. SLSD will always bring a sports coat.  He never travels anywhere without one (or two).  

2 minutes ago, lincslady said:

A pity the 'service' dog did not get a mention.  Needs to be followed up by people who have been on board with it.

There was NOT an opportunity.  Each of the six of us in the conversation really had to be called on for our input.  Several of us broke in a few times to interject a comment and were asked to wait to be called upon.  I would have brought up the issue, given any opportunity.  

Just now, SLSD said:

I think we would all like Mr. Luxury and enjoy meeting him .  I've been trying to get Mr. SLSD to add some seersucker summer suits to his wardrobe for DECADES.  (We celebrated our 47th wedding anniversary yesterday).  He just won't do it.  He thinks they are an affectation of the South--and we are Southerners!  I want to add that we always dress as per dress code--just on the low end of the Formal Night code.  Mr. SLSD will always bring a sports coat.  He never travels anywhere without one (or two).  

Funny you mention that

I have a new dark blue seersucker suit.

It's so light and fits well.

I'm looking forward to wearing it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jondfk said:

For evenings.

Three dress shirts.

Good for you, my kind of guy.

2 minutes ago, Sunprince said:

Oh, so now I know you…it was you I saw dining alfresco at the Colonade in 35 degree heat, wearing a suit and bow tie.  This was a few years back on an Athens/Malta cruise.  

Linen is great in the sun.

Yes it creases but I'm as cool as a cucumber.

Of course a Gentleman would never remove his jacket at the dining table.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Funny you mention that

I have a new dark blue seersucker suit.

It's so light and fits well.

I'm looking forward to wearing it.

IF we ever meet you on a SB cruise, I will ask you to talk up seersucker suits to Mr. SLSD. He would look great in one.  But, he is a Texan who went to college with guys from SC and THEY wore seersucker suits.  I think that is where his aversion comes from.  I adore seersucker suits.  If Mr. SLSD had one, I would insist that he bring it on a cruise.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

Okay, it’s official the thread has been hijacked, in part my fault.

For work I travelled here, there and everywhere.  Very little in South America but extensively around Europe, Middle East and Asia.  Every stop in Hong Kong included a call at ‘my’ tailor.  The fun bit was picking out fabrics from the bolt including colorful silk lining in my choice of canary yellow.  All manner of Italian wools, patterns and yes seersucker.

But as I’ve said I associate these duds with the millions of miles I flew to earn them.  Nothing so much said work time is over than hanging that stuff up.  I keep them though with the hope that I’ll one day open that closet and see style rather than structure…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jondfk said:

Okay, it’s official the thread has been hijacked, in part my fault.

For work I travelled here, there and everywhere.  Very little in South America but extensively around Europe, Middle East and Asia.  Every stop in Hong Kong included a call at ‘my’ tailor.  The fun bit was picking out fabrics from the bolt including colorful silk lining in my choice of canary yellow.  All manner of Italian wools, patterns and yes seersucker.

But as I’ve said I associate these duds with the millions of miles I flew to earn them.  Nothing so much said work time is over than hanging that stuff up.  I keep them though with the hope that I’ll one day open that closet and see style rather than structure…

Go on open that closet and let yourself go

Thank you SLSD for doing this and providing us with the feedback.  Like you and many others my husband and I prefer to eat lunch in the MDR as we don’t care for buffets or crowds.  Patio we also enjoy but not all the time.  So I’m glad you got a bit about that into the zoom.

And like jondfk I spent years traveling the world for business where I had to dress in business attire and sometimes attend formal dinners in foreign countries.  We also don’t like to travel with too much luggage so a more relaxed dress code where people still look nice and pulled together works for us.  ( we won’t look sloppy I can guarantee) My husband will always bring a sports coat or two and I’ll always bring nice clothes  slacks and blouse or dress) and appreciate if others like to dress more formally but like the idea of having a choice and not having to bring extra clothes and shoes for a few nights makes me very happy!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kej1 said:

Thank you SLSD for doing this and providing us with the feedback.  Like you and many others my husband and I prefer to eat lunch in the MDR as we don’t care for buffets or crowds.  Patio we also enjoy but not all the time.  So I’m glad you got a bit about that into the zoom.

And like jondfk I spent years traveling the world for business where I had to dress in business attire and sometimes attend formal dinners in foreign countries.  We also don’t like to travel with too much luggage so a more relaxed dress code where people still look nice and pulled together works for us.  ( we won’t look sloppy I can guarantee) My husband will always bring a sports coat or two and I’ll always bring nice clothes  slacks and blouse or dress) and appreciate if others like to dress more formally but like the idea of having a choice and not having to bring extra clothes and shoes for a few nights makes me very happy!

Your viewpoint is the same as ours. We pack differently now--much lighter with an aim toward having laundry done onboard.  We love that we qualify for that now.  Like you, my husband dressed in full business attire for 40 years.  He still has that attire and has updated it.  He has NO desire to bring it to Europe or any other port around the world.  He WILL bring sports coats and his wonderful bow ties.  He will bring dress pants.  He will be well dressed every single night--and I will follow suit.  Maybe if we were just flying from London to Copenhagen or London to Rome, it would be different.  We are faced with multiple flights, traversing huge airports, and we are committed to traveling light.  

We met a friend on our recent cruise who looked great without a sports coat.  This man work all black and looked every bit as sharp as my husband did in his conservative sports coat.  

Edited by SLSD

Thank you for letting us know how the zoom meeting went.

I do however, wonder if it was worth the effort, 6 participants seems a very small sample. 
Personally I could care less what people wear as long as they are clean. Formal wear doesn’t always mean classy. I’ve seen some very questionable outfits over my 15 years of cruising - MHO of course.

The quality of food, the downgrading of service, the nice little extras that made you feel special are far more important and the things that will make think twice about booking Seabourn again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Joc123 said:

Thank you for letting us know how the zoom meeting went.

I do however, wonder if it was worth the effort, 6 participants seems a very small sample. 
Personally I could care less what people wear as long as they are clean. Formal wear doesn’t always mean classy. I’ve seen some very questionable outfits over my 15 years of cruising - MHO of course.

The quality of food, the downgrading of service, the nice little extras that made you feel special are far more important and the things that will make think twice about booking Seabourn again.

I was a bit puzzled about the narrow scope of the questions.  One of the questions was about the idea of intuitive service vs authentic service.  I did not get called on for that particular topic and the participates who were called on seemed a bit confused about what authentic service might imply.  

I do not know exactly how the six participants were chosen.  Among the six, I think I was the participant who had sailed with Seabourn the most--and, of course, I have not sailed nearly as much as many of you here.  Several of the participants had only sailed with SB one time--one man's itinerary had been to Antarctica--so he had no knowledge of SB outside of that most rarefied and different experience.  

I have to admit being a bit puzzled about the makeup of the group---four men, two women.  I wonder if SB thinks that it is mostly men who make the decision about which cruise line to sail with.  

One of the least effective aspects of the experience was the photos shown.  A significant amount of time was spent looking at collages of photos and telling which photos appealed to you.  It seems such a odd way to gather information.  

Were the participants typical Seabourn cruisers?  That is hard to say.  The fact that SB did not choose any truly longtime SB cruisers who had cruised over many many cruises was probably not an oversight.  

SLSD,

What I am hearing is that these consultant-questioners are more interested in marketing messages and dress codes than in substance which is, after all, what both intuitive and authentic service means eg by way of examples, by seasoned luxury sector cruisers. And there was no ad hoc conversation to draw ideas from this group, some of whom were undoubtedly prepared and eager to share their ideas. And why was that? Who knows what the brief was. I just hope you feel your time spent was worthwhile. If not, well, that’s a shame… Further, I hope there is followup, and that you and others are included for their views, hopefully on a broader range of issues.

In any case, thank you for participating in the session and telling us about it.

Happy and healthy sailing!