Another Anchorage to Seward question

hastern01

Hi All!

I arrive in Anchorage in Sept 12 and will be staying at the Hilton as arranged by Regent.  The following morning I am not planning on taking the shuttle, but made my own arrangements to take the Alaskan Railroad to Seward.  Does anyone know how this works?  Is there any checking in at the hotel that is necessary, or do I just arrive with my bags at the port and check in there?  I am a cruising novice and new to Regent so I am a bit confused. 

Thanks for the info!

Holly

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When we did it we checked out of the hotel like usual, made our way the the train station and on the train with our luggage. Once at the port make your way to the dock and check in with Regent personal and board the ship. The dock porters will take over your luggage and get in on the ship. Keep you personal carry on with you.

The train ride is beautiful, good choice to make your own way. They will others d doing the same.

We’ve also done this and the train journey is spectacular. The Anchorage Hilton however, was probably the worst hotel I’ve ever stayed in. Our room was next to the elevator shaft and the ice machine, no sleep was had. It’s amazing how many people get ice at 2am in the morning 😳
It’s an easy walk from the hotel to the station, with your luggage and then from the station to the ship. 

Edited by czardas

The train is an excellent choice, and I've taken it before in 2005, but going in the opposite direction.

As to the scenery, the train is really no different than the bus. We could see the train tracks most of the way to Seward. The big difference is you will be more comfortable on the train, you can walk around on the train, and so on. And currently, because there is some road construction going on, you will get there faster on the train.

One nice thing they did for us on the bus yesterday was to give us a goodie bag with  cookies, chips and water.

So yes, I recommend the train, but not a big deal if you take the Regent pre-cruise with bus ... other than that the Hilton is substandard. (There was a really nice looking historic hotel next to it, though - i think its name is actually The Historic Anchorage Hotel!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We also booked the train independently and everything I’ve read seems to indicate you check your bags at the train station and they will be delivered to the ship or hotel you specify.  But the specific mentions have all been the bigger ships so I’m trying to verify that we can check luggage at the Anchorage train station and have it delivered to the Explorer.

Also wondering, since the train arrives at 11:30 and we have to be on board by 3:00, if it’s worthwhile to walk around Seward or if we should just get directly on the ship.

• Like 1

In mid June of this year, my wife, daughter, and granddaughter  did this Alaska cruise on the Explorer. They opted out of the Regent provided Anchorage Hilton due to horrible reviews on the hotel rating sites on the internet. I did not go, as this was a “girl’s vacation”. They booked the Anchorage Aloft hotel in Anchorage. They opted for the train. This proved to be a very good move, as there have been reports on this board indicating not only that the Anchorage Hilton is bad, but also that Regent’s contractor  responsible for getting guests from the hotel to the bus has been causing very long lines. We take Regent because we greatly dislike long lines! They also decided to spend a night at the Harbor 360 hotel in Seward a night before the cruise, and left home a day early. They report that the Anchorage hotel was fairly close to the train station and adequate. And the hotel in Seward was adequate, and just across the street from the port terminal. The cruise itself is reported to me as excellent.

I should note that the last time I personally stayed in the Regent-provided Anchorage Hilton was in 2002. Even back then the air conditioning didn’t work well, and the place was due for redecorating — which I am told hasn’t happened. I hope Regent checks the hotel to bus transfer problem in Anchorage, and makes the needed corrections. 

• Like 1

Yes, my wife’s party also to the observation car on the train, and they rate it highly.  We don’t know anything about the bus that is recent information. In 2002 when I last took this cruise on the Navigator, the bus was a huge affair that was only about 1/3 full, but I have been told that it is not that pleasant now. And by staying an extra night is Seward, they reported at the ship terminal at the appointed time, and just walked on the ship with zero lines — as the bus was late and had not arrived. 

Frankly, there are no great hotels in Anchorage.  The Captain Cook, Marriott, and Hilton are all just fair.  Service issues and condition are the biggest problems.  There is a Embassy Suites (600 E. Benson) that is decent, but it is not downtown.  

We are at the Anchorage Hilton now. I was very nervous due to many extremely negative reviews but our room is fine - it is in the Anchorage tower. It’s clean, quiet, bed is comfortable. What I’m annoyed about is they have busses leaving every 15 minutes from 9:45 to 11:45. You are not assigned a time at check-in. They will give out tickets starting at 7 AM first come first served. My husband was up early so went to get in line a little after 6 (it’s 6:30 am now). Certainly does not seem like the way a luxury line should handle things. I will report back later. It’s our first Regent cruise and this is not what I was expecting!

Why would you get in line by 6:30 for a tickets not passed out until starting at 7! As someone else on another thread stated…everyone will be transported to the ship. And seems like the from the timing of the last buses they will arrive about the time the suites open. Your room unless an a big suite will not be ready until about 2pm and will serve the buffet until 4. We are not early risers on vacation and don’t like to rush or lines. Nor do we like waiting around in the pubic areas for our suite to be ready. 
Seems like they are handling the transport bus tickets like the ship tour tickets…. The bus tickets are handed out the day of the trip at a set time on a first come first serve. Down side it can and does cause short lines since many have to be first!

He was up so he got in line - we have no desire to sit in the hotel in Anchorage waiting for a later bus. Apparently quite a few people felt the same way. If waiting doesn’t bother you, great. We would rather get on the ship sooner. Don’t really feel the need to defend our decision, but there you go.

4 hours ago, MarEll1 said:

We are at the Anchorage Hilton now. ……They will give out tickets starting at 7 AM first come first served. My husband was up early so went to get in line a little after 6 (it’s 6:30 am now). Certainly does not seem like the way a luxury line should handle things. I will report back later. It’s our first Regent cruise and this is not what I was expecting!

50 minutes ago, MarEll1 said:

He was up so he got in line - we have no desire to sit in the hotel in Anchorage waiting for a later bus. Apparently quite a few people felt the same way. If waiting doesn’t bother you, great. We would rather get on the ship sooner. Don’t really feel the need to defend our decision, but there you go.

Sounds like Regent is giving you what you want then.  No need to defend or complain about anything. First chance to get a seat on the first bus to the ship early regardless of when you actually arrived at the Anchorage hotel the day/night before. Everyone has a chance at the first bus. Others can sleep a little later and take a later bus.

4 hours ago, MarEll1 said:

What I’m annoyed about is they have busses leaving every 15 minutes from 9:45 to 11:45. You are not assigned a time at check-in. They will give out tickets starting at 7 AM first come first served. 

Your frustration is understandable and IMO expectation reasonable.   Just a simple color code with a time slot might help.  Say RED 9:45-10.    Hang in there,  you'll be on the ship enjoying a libation before you know it.  Hey maybe start now 😃

• Thanks 1

If we don't get a certain time for a transfer, I would also be getting tickets early.  I do not mind sitting on the ship having a nice lunch and people watch until our cabins are ready.

Our bus transfer to the ship in Cape Town was pure chaos.  We were told at the front desk that busses left at 7:30 (not), so we came down after a nice breakfast around 9:30.  To get out of the chaos we headed to a bus.  Lets just hope all of this confusion/chaos will get better as we get farther from Covid.

But I agree, there should be a better way to give out tickets so people can plan on when to get to the lobby.

• Like 1

This year in Auckland,  we went down for a ticket at whatever time they told us to.  We had a later bus number and the lobby was a zoo.  We didn’t care about breakfast.  

It appeared that lots of people were going downstairs and so after 30 minutes we did also, because they were resetting up the tables we sat at and wanted to get out of the staffs way.  Down the stairs we go and that area was small, hot and very crowded.   We head outside, where it was more comfortable.   

Low and behold,  we get talking to a young lady who is involved with the buses, which are running very late.  Bus 1 shows up and she tells us go ahead get on the bus, since they don’t really care about the numbers - they just need to make sure everyone gets to the ship.  

And then--There is New York. 

Lotte New York Palace Hotel.  Late May, before boarding Navigator to begin a B/t/B.  Upon completing previous-day's check-in, directed to Regent's Hospitality Desk near the Lobby.  Our name(s) checked off Regent's list.  Given color-coded tags designating bus boarding time Best I recall, our "scheduled" bus departure time was 11:15 am.  

Next-day in Lobby.  Yes, it was crowded.  But, there was a certain sense of ORDER.  Specifically, the Regent rep. with a commanding voice.  She maintained control in a direct, but friendly (New York) manner.  And, she provided updates on the situation.  As usual, things ran a bit-behind schedule--about 15 minutes.  However, when a color was called, the lady advised folks with that color to stand-up, and "Get in Line."  The group before us did so.  A fairly-straight line.  She checked that each passenger had the designated color tag.  Out of the Lobby they marched under the guidance of her associate. 

We were next-up. Same procedure.  Orderly.

Have had the same basic experiences several times at Los Angeles both pre-and post-COVID at .  Beverly Wilshire Four Seasons Hotel.   

It is another YMMV--depending on the city of departure.  And, when the situation warrants (Auckland and Vancouver, B.C. come to mind), the Regent hotel was within easy walking distance of the Pier.  So, we let Regent handle the bags; advised the Rep. we were walking; and walked. 

Will repeat the walking procedure in about a month when returning to Vancouver prior to an Explorer segment to Japan. 

GOARMY!    

Thank you everyone for all the details. We will have transfers included in Tokyo but you have now convinced me to organise our own transfer to the port and return to the hotel. I assume it is just a matter of letting the Regent representative know what we are doing and if need be organise for them to take our larger luggage?

I am sure it is handled well usually by Regent but I am not a fan of large group transfers.