Disembarking in Boston- traffic and construction ?

Daisyloo

We got an email from our cruise line that there is lots of construction and bad traffic in Boston and it could impact our ability to get to the airport.  The cruise line is suggesting that we use their transfer busses.  We disembark on a Saturday and our flight home is not until 2:30pm.  Any advice or info will be appreciated.

You'll be fine. The major issue is that one of the tunnels to/from the airport is closed for construction, so everyone has to use the other tunnel. Fortunately, the cruise port is a "hop, skip, and a jump" from the airport (the ship needs ATC clearance to leave due to it crossing the flight path to/from the runway). Plus, you'll be doing this on a Saturday with plenty of time to begin with.

• Thanks 1

You'll be fine. The tunnel that is closed thru the end of August is the one coming FROM the airport TO the city. You will be going the opposite direction, that is you'll be going TO the airport FROM the city.

Besides the cruise bus will be taking the same road as everyone else.

If you want to Uber and you can handle your luggage, walk around the big white building (Boston Design Center) to Dockyard Ave and look for number 23 or 25. Request the Uber from there. The road is still 2 way and the driver can avoid the chaos at the pier and head to the airport.

• Thanks 1

On 8/3/2023 at 8:25 PM, Traveling Library said:

You'll be fine. The tunnel that is closed thru the end of August is the one coming FROM the airport TO the city. You will be going the opposite direction, that is you'll be going TO the airport FROM the city.

Besides the cruise bus will be taking the same road as everyone else.

If you want to Uber and you can handle your luggage, walk around the big white building (Boston Design Center) to Dockyard Ave and look for number 23 or 25. Request the Uber from there. The road is still 2 way and the driver can avoid the chaos at the pier and head to the airport.

Also note with Uber, unless you take Uber Black, you will be dropped off at Central Parking at Logan.  It's a bit of a haul to airport check-in.  

• Like 1

On 8/3/2023 at 1:10 PM, mjkacmom said:

I don’t know why taking a cruise shuttle would be a better option than cab or Uber because of a traffic issue.

I was scratching my head when HAL sent this around too.  In my experience it’s always a wait until the transfer person makes all their notes and gets everyone loaded, etc.  usually better cruise to airport than it can be airport to cruise, but I’ve still waited he better part of half an hour to even get moving once onboard a bus.  

I think there is a concern that there won't be many Uber/taxi drivers at the port due to the congestion and the fact that it might take longer to get back and forth. However, I would assume anyone doing the cruise port also has permission for the airport so they can bring someone to the airport, and then can get a fare out of the airport.