Insurance Company Recommendations?

GMIAC

On 8/22/2023 at 7:30 PM, bitob said:

You are not correct. You can’t double dip on 2 chase cards. Eg a United card and a sapphire card But when you each have a reserve card you are covered 10k for you and 10k for your travel partner. When each person of a couple has his own account you have 40 k coverage 

@bitob...

In the case of doubling up on two Chase Sapphire cards or a combination of Chase Sapphire and Chase United Airlines cards I am, in fact, correct.  You are not correct!!

I just got off a phone call with Chase Card Benefits Services with a gentleman who confirmed my understanding of Chase's travel insurance coverage.

Chase Sapphire will pay up to $10,000 per person for a total of $20,000 per trip.  A second Chase Sapphire card does not increase coverage.  Coverage will not be combined.

Chase United Airlines card will pay $1,500 per person up to a total of $6,000 for common carrier fares such as airlines, cruises, etc.  Again, Chase coverage offered by the United Airlines cannot be combined with that of other cards. 

Chase Card Benefits Services can be reached at 800-348-8472, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  They will not answer inquiries via email.  I urge anyone who still believes Chase will allow coverage among two or more cards to be combined to give them a call.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pappy1022 said:

Lew, I have a Chase sapphire card and my wife is included on my card for a nominal additional fee. Do you and your wife have 2 separate Chase cards and both pay the full annual fee?

We do not have two cards...just one in my name.  In your case, with two cards on one account, your maximum coverage would be $10,000 per person, $20,000 per trip.

we will just have to agree to disagree

i know persons who have successfully made claims with 2 sapphire cards, one in each name

BOLD type does nothing except to say you are screaming

Not necessary

Edited by bitob

17 minutes ago, bitob said:

we will just have to agree to disagree

i know persons who have successfully made claims with 2 sapphire cards, one in each name

BOLD type does nothing except to say you are screaming

Not necessary

No we don't! I'll agree only that you're incorrect and you're doing a disservice to fellow cruisers who read and believe your insistance that what you espouse is correct.  Do the right thing and call Chase Card Benefits Services and report what you learn here.

By the way, ALL CAPS in a forum post is considered yelling or screaming.  Bold is used for emphasis.

12 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

No we don't! I'll agree only that you're incorrect and you're doing a disservice to fellow cruisers who read and believe your insistance that what you espouse is correct.  Do the right thing and call Chase Card Benefits Services and report what you learn here.

By the way, ALL CAPS in a forum post is considered yelling or screaming.  Bold is used for emphasis.

i have found the ignore button

On 8/14/2023 at 9:20 AM, tripperva said:

The claim results can depend who you get for an adjuster at the insurance company. We are in the middle of a claim where the adjuster is nit picking us for every conceivable receipt and document imaginable. We submitted their 13 page form, then 12 pages from our travel agent, then another 5 pages of Amex receipts. I am sure they are just being thorough and careful but this adjuster is really pushing it. So, be sure to keep every scrap of paper related to your trips.

If the assigned adjustor is becoming unreasonable, do not hesitate calling the company and asking for another adjuster to be assigned to your case and to revew the documentation already submitted. In our business this is standard practice. We have found if an adjustor has been warned that he is approving too many claims without any questioning, they may then start being very difficult and you as the customer should not tolerate it.

• 7 months later...
On 8/24/2023 at 9:21 AM, pappy1022 said:

Call Steve at tripinsurance store dot com. He will explain all to the options and help you make sense of things and let you know what he thinks would work best for your situation. There is no obligation and there is absolutely no pressure to buy their offerings. We bought our insurance when we made final payment so there was a look back period for the pre conditions. That may not be best for you for your circumstances. One call to Steve made everything make sense and I was able to zero in on the policy that worked best for me. There are a lot of variables including age, whether you want to be able to cancel for any reason, etc. and they all affect price. This was my first time buying travel insurance but I felt it was worth it because of the cost of the cruise and it included international travel. Good luck.

I know this is an older thread but we just got our preferred cabin for the ‘27 World Cruise and Insurance coverage just became a different ball game!

We always get comprehensive travel insurance for our cruises (cancel for any reason during Covid) and will certainly insure this cruise, but some preliminary quotes just to get an idea of what we’re talking about is a bit eye watering.

I will probably post a separate thread for insuring a WC but I appreciate another resource to reach out to.

Thank you!

InsureMyTrip.com, SquareMouth.com, and TripInsuranceStore.com are all good. However, Steve Dassos at TripInsuranceStore.com offers a lot of value added benefits in the way of information and advice.  I would recommend you call Steve for his recommendation.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JSOL1 said:

I know this is an older thread but we just got our preferred cabin for the ‘27 World Cruise and Insurance coverage just became a different ball game!

We always get comprehensive travel insurance for our cruises (cancel for any reason during Covid) and will certainly insure this cruise, but some preliminary quotes just to get an idea of what we’re talking about is a bit eye watering.

I will probably post a separate thread for insuring a WC but I appreciate another resource to reach out to.

Thank you!

We have a Grand cruise coming up and I added 17 days prior!  Yes.. insurance is mind boggling!!! BUT, losing the cost of the trip is too.  We were booked on a trip last year and I woke up on "fly to the port" day with Covid.  Had I not been insured I would have been out a very significant amount.  I just factor it into the cost of the cruise.  

One idea though, and I don't know how it works, some credit card will cover up to $20,000 of a cruise for free if you charge the cruise on that card.  I'm looking at doing that but need to research it a bit.  But check with your credit card company and see if they cover some portion of the the cruise.  Would help. 

You're referring to the Chase Sapphire cards.  There are two that include this feature...Sapphire Reserve and Preferred.

We've had to collect once on a claim and I have to say it was much easier than dealing with the travel insurance company.  The $20,000 offered by Chase reduces the amount you need to purchase in travel insurance.

1 hour ago, -Lew- said:

You're referring to the Chase Sapphire cards.  There are two that include this feature...Sapphire Reserve and Preferred.

We've had to collect once on a claim and I have to say it was much easier than dealing with the travel insurance company.  The $20,000 offered by Chase reduces the amount you need to purchase in travel insurance.

Does the Chase coverage include pre existing conditions? I have heard it does not.

13 hours ago, -Lew- said:

InsureMyTrip.com, SquareMouth.com, and TripInsuranceStore.com are all good. However, Steve Dassos at TripInsuranceStore.com offers a lot of value added benefits in the way of information and advice.  I would recommend you call Steve for his recommendation.

Thanks. We have used SM to insure our previous cruises, but we will certainly touch base with Steve as it seems a lot of people here have had good experiences.

11 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

We have a Grand cruise coming up and I added 17 days prior!  Yes.. insurance is mind boggling!!! BUT, losing the cost of the trip is too.  We were booked on a trip last year and I woke up on "fly to the port" day with Covid.  Had I not been insured I would have been out a very significant amount.  I just factor it into the cost of the cruise.  

One idea though, and I don't know how it works, some credit card will cover up to $20,000 of a cruise for free if you charge the cruise on that card.  I'm looking at doing that but need to research it a bit.  But check with your credit card company and see if they cover some portion of the the cruise.  Would help. 

Completely agree! We’ve always insured our cruises and wouldn’t consider skimping on this.

we are also booked on a Grand Cruise in ‘26 in addition to the World Cruise in ‘27. Quite a different price point than insurance for our typical 2/3 week cruises, but unavoidable…

• Like 1

We travel a fair bit (we will have a total of three cruises and two other trips in 2024). so we purchase annual trip insurance with Allianz.  We have not had to use it, but it appears to be fairly comprehensive.  We also have a multi-annual MedJet assist policy.  We also have the Citi Advantage Executive Mastercard, which has a travel insurance feature.  It covers trip delay/cancelation, lost/damaged luggage, that sort of thing.  I would have to look up which insurance covers what first.

2 minutes ago, ysolde said:

We travel a fair bit (we will have a total of three cruises and two other trips in 2024). so we purchase annual trip insurance with Allianz.  We have not had to use it, but it appears to be fairly comprehensive.  We also have a multi-annual MedJet assist policy.  We also have the Citi Advantage Executive Mastercard, which has a travel insurance feature.  It covers trip delay/cancelation, lost/damaged luggage, that sort of thing.  I would have to look up which insurance covers what first.

Thanks for this. I will have to look into the annual trip insurance options as we also do a fair bit of travel. I’ve never really included my CC card insurance as a factor for bigger $ trips but perhaps I should.

• Like 1

Oh, I should add that we have a concierge doctor, and membership there reduces the price of MedJet Assist, so that's nice.  So check your doctor's website.  You never know.