Quebec restaurant recommendations?

little britain

Last September we visited Quebec on the QM2 and docked there for 3 days. On the first day we took a tour and on our return the tour guide told us of a restaurant that was located in the terminal building.

Be hungry and there was several hours till dinner time we decided to try the restaurant for a mid day meal.

Le Café du Monde was a very enjoyable restaurant and very much the food that they served.

We both had a three cheese french onion soup that was excellent. Also my DW had a fish dish and I had and enjoyed Fish & Chips.

Service was very good and very suggestive to what we would be interested and they were right.

This is our suggestion if you are interested.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, little britain said:

Looking for recommendations… however we will be there on a Monday when it appears many restaurants close; and it is also Thanksgiving!  Will anything be open? Thanks 

Le Continental is one of our favorite QC restaurants for a nice evening meal- classic French. They specialize in tableside prep and flambe deserts. Right outside of the Chateau Frontenac. They are open on Mondays. https://restaurantlecontinental.com/en/ 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Posted (edited)

We'll be overnighting in Quebec City this fall.  Do folks have additional recommendations for a restaurant for dinner, or more thoughts about those that have been recommended?  Thanks!

Edited by Turtles06

50 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Do folks have additional recommendations for a restaurant for dinner, or more thoughts about those that have been recommended? 

The only thing I'd add (aside from a glowing re-recommendation for Le Continental) would be to grab a drink at the bar off the lobby at the Chateau Frontenac-- very cozy and great views during the day. Le Champlain, the formal dining room at the CF, is actually quite good and worth the trip. It is much less formal and stuffy than it was prior to the renovation but it is still a fixed tasting menu so not for everyone. 

• Thanks 1

I ate at Aux Anciens Canadiens with a group of friends in Feb 2020 while visiting for Carnaval.  I think everyone enjoyed their meals overall.  I enjoyed my meal too though I didn't love it enough that I wanted to go back when I visited QC again with the missus in 2022.  Good selection of Quebecois cuisine but also very heavy/filling. Big portions so a number of friends had to do a doggy bag.  Thought it was kind of pricey but they do have an early bird special (that we reserved for but missed because we were late getting back from an event).  Their dining rooms had a rustic vibe but it's kind of part of its charm.  

Just to add to the Chateau Frontenac 1608 Bar, it's a really nice room.  Pricey but I enjoyed it (just for drinks and snacks/appies) and did return here during my subsequent trip.  

I also ate at La Bouche both trips and would consider going back again (we're contemplating another trip this year) but it's not a MUST do.  It also has a kitschy rustic dining room. They're kind of known for their onion soup.  The first time I went, they served bone marrow with their onion soup but the subsequent visit they didn't but it was still very good.  I enjoyed their spreads/pates too.  Some of the dishes can taste a bit salty.  And your meal can get a bit pricey depending on what you order.  

During the group trip, we also ate at 1640 Bistro.  It was fine/solid but they serve regular stuff like burgers, pizzas, etc so it wasn't a memorable meal for me.  

Encountered friendly staff at all the above places.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @princeton123211 and @Milhouse for taking the time to provide such helpful information. We’ll certainly have some good choices for our  one dinner. 

Anyone have any suggestions for a good place for a poutine lunch? We stumbled across one in the Lower Town on our first visit and I really enjoyed it. (I can’t recall the name of the place; it was quite casual.)

BeaverTails is on our “must have” list. 😊

During our 2021 trip (correction from 2022), we only ate poutine at Le Chic Shack which is kind of a sit down burger joint located close to the top of the funicular down to the old town.  (We were kind of poutined out after eating one every day in Montreal before we got to QC.)  It's not a traditional poutine though as it has crispy potato chunks versus fries (see pic).  We still found it very tasty though.  The restaurant was packed though (in 2021 we were there during the xmas market season) and while service was friendly, it was a bit slow just because of how busy it was. 

I had Chez Ashton as a place I wanted to try but didn't get around to it.  I think it's a chain though so it wasn't high on my priority list.

During my 2020 trip, I also ate poutine at Snack Bar Saint-Jean which was nothing to write home about.  Their poutine and other food were just fine for a late night greasy snack after a night of drinking IMO.  PXL_20211204_194444190a.thumb.jpg.3334ba392c8f296b1702dbd9c11b6b00.jpg

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Anyone have any suggestions for a good place for a poutine lunch? We stumbled across one in the Lower Town on our first visit and I really enjoyed it. (I can’t recall the name of the place; it was quite casual.)

Don't overthink poutine-- usually the nicer spots are total crap and it's the hole in the walls that win with poutine. 

Best I've had in Quebec City, after a long night of having fun, was a tiny hole in the wall called Chez Gaston. We took an Uber to it-- it's not immediately in the main tourist area. The place is what we'd call a diner in the US or a lunch counter. Open late. Remember it being excellent. 

• Thanks 1