Getting around Rome using public transportation -- Metro, Buses, Taxis

cruisemom42

Those headed to Rome for longer than a day will probably want to know a little about how to use and navigate the public transportation options. I found this article via a link in my inbox this morning and thought it was one of the more useful and clear explanations of the metro system, city buses, and taxis in the city. If you're headed to Rome in the next year, you might want to bookmark it:

https://www.fodors.com/world/europe/italy/rome/experiences/news/how-to-navigate-romes-public-transportation-system

A few tips of my own (some included in the link, some not):

-- The metro and bus system are integrated, so you can use a combination of modes if needed to get to your destination. A single "journey" can last up to 100 minutes. 

-- If you are headed to Rome from the port via the train, buying the BIRG ticket (for 12 euros) is a good deal: in addition to round-trip fare to Rome from Civitavecchia on any regionale train, you also are entitled to use the metro and buses all day long for free. 

-- The metro is easy to use but only goes to limited places. This is due to all of the buried "history" under the center of Rome. Whenever they try to construct a new line (as with the new "Linea C") they run into important archaeological remains that halt all work while they are investigated.  One of the most useful Metro journeys for those in Rome for a day is the route from the Colosseum ("Colosseo" station) to the Vatican, or vice versa. There are two stations near the Vatican: "Ottaviano" is closer to St. Peters, and "Cipro" is closer to the Vatican Museum entrance.  This journey involves a transfer at Termini station where line B (Colosseo) and Line A (Vatican stops) cross. 

-- Uber isn't really an option in Rome, at least not in the sense of a low-cost readily available pickup and dropoff service. They are more like the private-hire black sedans you find in NYC. 

-- Taxis are available at taxi stands near most tourist areas -- it's a good idea to look up where these are in advance if you're thinking of making use of them. There ARE apps you can use to request a taxi. I have FreeNow, which I haven't yet used in Rome but I will try it out this November. It worked well for me in France and Germany last year.

-- Buses can be a little more intimidating. Guide books often mention that you should "ask the driver" to notify you of your stop. In real life, I have found most Roman bus drivers not to be terribly multilingual or friendly, so I wouldn't count on it. A better bet is to count the number of stops from where you got on so that you have a good idea where you need to get off. Some buses now have signs within, but many are older and they either don't have them or they aren't working. 🤷‍♀️. The advice in the article about how to decipher bus stop signs is invaluable and worth a read.

-- One further note -- both the buses and the subway cars are usually extremely crowded, at least during peak tourist season and/or peak times of day. Be very careful about pickpockets. If you have a lot of luggage, using the buses and metro isn't ideal for the same reason (crowds).

If you have questions, I'm happy to try to answer them, although @euro cruiser is far better at interpreting the ATAC schedules than I am!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Buses can be a little more intimidating. Guide books often mention that you should "ask the driver" to notify you of your stop. In real life, I have found most Roman bus drivers not to be terribly multilingual or friendly, so I wouldn't count on it.

Excellent post...

I have found Google Maps to be excellent for warning when my intended bus, train, or metro stop is approaching.  

• Like 2

Just a further note about the BIRG ticket (12 euros).  It's a great deal IF you are going to Rome AND back in the same day, so it's perfect for a port day visit.

If you are transferring to Rome, it's a wash vs. paying for the individual units.  The regional train fare (the BIRG ticket is only good on regional trains) is 4,60 euro and the Roma 24 ticket (unlimited use of buses, metro, trams for 24 hours) for 7 euro.  

The difference is that the BIRG expires at midnight of the day used, while the Roma 24 ticket is good for 24 hours from first use, so if you don't use it until 11 AM it will be good until 11 AM the next morning.

For most people this is a distinction without a difference, but if you're moving on by train the next morning the Roma 24 would get you to the train station while the day before's BIRG will not.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2023 at 10:15 PM, -Lew- said:

You're welcome...  Click here for info on tap&go in Roma.

Was looking for this information.  Need to leave FCO and take a quick train ride to our hotel near the airport and wondered if I could do that.  Then possibly going into Rome for the day. 

24 minutes ago, gfkcruiser said:

Need to leave FCO and take a quick train ride to our hotel near the airport and wondered if I could do that.  Then possibly going into Rome for the day. 

Tap & Go is not offered on Trenitalia trains, so it won't be an option on the trains from the airport.

• Thanks 1

Hello all,

My wife and i will be staying at the Pantheon Iconic Rome Hotel ( Marriott) via Santa Chiara, and we are going to be taking an early morning tour of the vatican which does not include transportation to/from hotel/Vatican.

If any one is familiar with that hotel do you know if it will be easy to get a cab at 7:00 am and approximate cost?

Unfortunately the subway is too far of a walk for me.

27 minutes ago, 19cruiser59 said:

Hello all,

My wife and i will be staying at the Pantheon Iconic Rome Hotel ( Marriott) via Santa Chiara, and we are going to be taking an early morning tour of the vatican which does not include transportation to/from hotel/Vatican.

If any one is familiar with that hotel do you know if it will be easy to get a cab at 7:00 am and approximate cost?

Unfortunately the subway is too far of a walk for me.

Getting there is easy and a taxi stand is next to the Pantheon, so probably about 350-400 feet from your hotel. Taxi will be around 10 to 15€ depending upon traffic and if you’re going to the museum or St Peters. 

Or have your hotel call you a taxi. Keep in mind the fare begins when the taxi is dispatched, not when it picks you up in this scenario. 
Recommend you go to google maps and check out where the taxi stands are at the Vatican to get back. There are several.  I know the one directly in front of St Peters was closed this summer (the whole roadway was closed).  

Edited by Girr
Adding
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The taxi stand at the Pantheon is along the right side of the building if facing the entrance.

Several people have reported taxi shortages in Rome this season, so it might be a good idea to check with your hotel concierge as to whether there is good chance of availability at 7:00 am. I’ve never had a problem in the past, but so many things changed since Covid….

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

MASSIVE thanks for starting this post @cruisemom42 and all the contributors adding your knowledge to help us Rome newbies have a good idea of the lay of the land before arriving.

I've noticed references to Google maps and tap+go payment options (I'm checking if my MC has that symbol icon contactless). This concerns me lots as I do not have data on my Canadian phone and roaming fees are not in our budget. When I was in Asia in this spring, it was very reasonable to buy a local SIM card with data for my few weeks' stay but what are connectivity options available so I can take care of myself "live" while there...or do I need to revert to the old ways of robust map-poring, note-making preparations for any travel adventure for Rome (and our other stops)? Our last cruise was on the Apex in January 2023 in the Caribbean and we survived getting free WiFi at various locations (yay, American coffee houses!) to complement detailed plans I had already drawn up for stops where we were doing our own thing.

DH and I are happy to try all forms of public transportation (maybe not so much the buses). 😉

28 minutes ago, Dreamer68 said:

When I was in Asia in this spring, it was very reasonable to buy a local SIM card with data for my few weeks' stay but what are connectivity options available so I can take care of myself "live" while there...

My recommendation would be to purchase a SIM card or eSIM for use in Europe.  If your phone is a newer model, an eSIM is the way to go.

Check out the eSIM database here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Dreamer68 said:

MASSIVE thanks for starting this post @cruisemom42 and all the contributors adding your knowledge to help us Rome newbies have a good idea of the lay of the land before arriving.

I've noticed references to Google maps and tap+go payment options (I'm checking if my MC has that symbol icon contactless). This concerns me lots as I do not have data on my Canadian phone and roaming fees are not in our budget. When I was in Asia in this spring, it was very reasonable to buy a local SIM card with data for my few weeks' stay but what are connectivity options available so I can take care of myself "live" while there...or do I need to revert to the old ways of robust map-poring, note-making preparations for any travel adventure for Rome (and our other stops)? Our last cruise was on the Apex in January 2023 in the Caribbean and we survived getting free WiFi at various locations (yay, American coffee houses!) to complement detailed plans I had already drawn up for stops where we were doing our own thing.

DH and I are happy to try all forms of public transportation (maybe not so much the buses). 😉

Regarding the "tap and go" payment option on credit cards, it is worth it -- if you don't already have a card with this feature -- to request one from your credit card provider. They are very quick and useful.

The symbol might be on the front or back of your card and looks like this (rather than the wi-fi symbol you showed, which is a bit different):

image.png.3803e4ca3603d0150db3195af68aa061.png

My Capital One Visa is the one I use most when traveling. They have the tap & go feature, no foreign exchange fee, and they also have a nifty feature you can enable that automatically texts you whenever the card is used. I like having this feature because I can confirm the purchase was mine and it would potentially alert me of any fraud; however if you aren't planning on using data and roaming it may be less useful for you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, -Lew- said:

My recommendation would be to purchase a SIM card or eSIM for use in Europe.  If your phone is a newer model, an eSIM is the way to go.

OMG, thanks!!! What a load of info to relish! I've bookmarked the site! 😍🤓 I have a humble 4-year old Motorola phone. Not sure if an eSIM is possible but I'll read up on the link you have included. If I have further questions about the SIMs, is it okay for me to message you @-Lew-?

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Regarding the "tap and go" payment option on credit cards, it is worth it -- if you don't already have a card with this feature -- to request one from your credit card provider. They are very quick and useful.

The symbol might be on the front or back of your card and looks like this (rather than the wi-fi symbol you showed, which is a bit different):

image.png.3803e4ca3603d0150db3195af68aa061.png

My Capital One Visa is the one I use most when traveling. They have the tap & go feature, no foreign exchange fee, and they also have a nifty feature you can enable that automatically texts you whenever the card is used. I like having this feature because I can confirm the purchase was mine and it would potentially alert me of any fraud; however if you aren't planning on using data and roaming it may be less useful for you.

I just checked my credit card and it has the icon for this use! I'll call the company to get more info on how I can use this in Europe if I don't have roaming possibilities. The new Asian phone number and SIM caused a disconnect a few days into my trip there and my card was frozen by my bank due to fraud  concerns so I'll be mindful about options. Thanks lots @cruisemom42!!!

10 minutes ago, Dreamer68 said:

OMG, thanks!!! What a load of info to relish! I've bookmarked the site! 😍🤓 I have a humble 4-year old Motorola phone. Not sure if an eSIM is possible but I'll read up on the link you have included. If I have further questions about the SIMs, is it okay for me to message you @-Lew-?

Certainly...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, -Lew- said:

Lew, if you'd be willing I think it would be a big help to start a new thread and give a tutorial, or sorts, and answer questions about eSIMs.  With the upcoming change for regional train tickets purchased on line requiring connection in order to be validated, this will be an ongoing and growing issue for travelers.