First Holland America Cruise - Koningsdam

PrincessBelle39

Hi Everyone

We've just booked our first HAL cruise, having previously cruised on Disney and more so, Royal Caribbean.  So I know over the next ten months I'm going to have a tonne of questions.

Firstly, we booked cabin 7140 which opens directly onto the stairs and elevators.  7182 is also available and about the 2nd or 3rd last cabin on the port side. Just wondering if we would be better off changing.  Has anyone had one of these cabins that opens to the stairs and found an issue with too much noise?  I'm probably overthinking but I am a bit of a planner and love to go over every detail.

We are on an Alaskan cruise leaving Vancouver on 1 June visiting Juneau, Skagway, Ketchican and Glacier Bay.

Welcome to HAL. The location of your cabin 7140  will probably not be a noise problem.

The elevator doors face towards the center of the ship, which is where people might be talking. You would  still a hallway away from that central gathering spot for that elevator bank. Plus the bathroom and closets buffer any hallway noise too.

Few use the stairs, so that most likely will not be a problem either. Just the opposite - you won't have the long walks down the corridors to get to different parts of the ship, since both stairs and elevators are right around the corner.  

I think you are off to good start.  The website HalFacts provides photos for particular cabins on the various HAL ships - yours might be one of them.

HalFacts: 7143 on a sister ship in the same class - close enough, since they had the same concerns about location and noise - reported no problems

https://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/7143-nieuw-statendam/

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 3

We had a stateroom on the Nieuw Amsterdam (VC6120) in the same spot because we were traveling with a family member in the adjoining stateroom. We never noticed any additional noise - but learned to look through the peephole before opening the door. That way we weren't surprised and the passenger(s) in the hall weren't startled with us coming into the hall..

I would prefer this stateroom rather than VE7182 which is actually an adjoining room where there could possibly be more noise through that door.

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 1

7140 appears to also be an adjoining room. We stayed in 6179 on Rotterdam last year (same proximity to the elevator bank as 7143/7144) and experienced no noise that I can recall.

Thank you so much everyone.  I will stick with what we have.  We do like being closer to the elevators but we've never opened onto the entrance before.  It sounds like it will be perfect for us.  We are travelling with friends who are on the other side of the ship but a few doors down.

We spent 35 nights in cabin 7126  and I passed by 7140 when using the stairs or elevators.  It's a good location, but you may hear some louder voices in the lobby of the elevators.  

Here's a pic of #7126... it was next to suites and was very quiet!

20230220_142509.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/6/2023 at 10:12 PM, PrincessBelle39 said:

Hi Everyone

We've just booked our first HAL cruise, having previously cruised on Disney and more so, Royal Caribbean.  So I know over the next ten months I'm going to have a tonne of questions.

Firstly, we booked cabin 7140 which opens directly onto the stairs and elevators.  7182 is also available and about the 2nd or 3rd last cabin on the port side. Just wondering if we would be better off changing.  Has anyone had one of these cabins that opens to the stairs and found an issue with too much noise?  I'm probably overthinking but I am a bit of a planner and love to go over every detail.

We are on an Alaskan cruise leaving Vancouver on 1 June visiting Juneau, Skagway, Ketchican and Glacier Bay.

Hi, I just booked 7125 which is just around the corner from the stairwell. I was wondering about the noise level also.  However, I figured it’s an easy two floor climb for morning coffee and downhill to the dining room. Following…

Edited by afdds
Spelling

42 minutes ago, afdds said:

Hi, I just booked 7125 which is just around the corner from the stairwell. I was wondering about the noise level also.  However, I figured it’s an easy two floor climb for morning coffee and downhill to the dining room. Following…

You aren't really near stairs or elevator... great location for popping up to deck 9 for drinks & snacks!

4 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Looks very near stairs and elevators.

I was responding with the picture to @afdds who was talking about #7125 which is down the hall a bit from the elevator/stair lobby.

It really wasn't noisy near the elevators on Rotterdam where I was last.

~Nancy

• Like 1

Welcome to Holland America! Adding to the chorus that says you should keep the original csbin. We've had rooms in similar locations and have never noticed the elevator noise.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oakridger said:

I was responding with the picture to @afdds who was talking about #7125 which is down the hall a bit from the elevator/stair lobby.

It really wasn't noisy near the elevators on Rotterdam where I was last.

~Nancy

Thank you Nancy for the reply. We were originally booked with an inside cabin on the Eurodam and they we decided to switch to Kogingsdam. Also decided to go for the balcony.  Glad to know noise won’t be an issue 

• Like 1