Iona 5th August to Norway

ballroom-cruisers

I do wonder if P&O need to rethink their Iona Fjords itinerary: with over a dozen separate Iona Fjord cruises between me, other family and various colleagues, only one of those initial itineraries has gone ahead as planned: the rest included some ports cancelled pre-sailing, and various cancelling/rescheduling when at sea for “operational reasons”. But on Fjords cruises on other ships we and others have also done, and in poor weather etc, schedules have been maintained more consistently.

It’s by no means the end of the world, but we love our Fjords cruises and now have ditched Iona (a ship we like) for future Fjords cruises: it has proven to be just too unreliable - it just takes one port to be ditched and we end up having a day or two more at sea, with no lovely vistas, rather than sailing serenely down the gorgeous fjords. We have also encouraged friends, family etc to do go on a different ship or cruise line that is more likely to cope if doing the Fjords. First world problems and all that!

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 5

There have been a fair few which have been hampered by storms in the Channel on Saturdays recently. That’s just luck of the draw. If Southampton departures had been Wednesdays then Iona would have missed them all.

The Geiranger issue is frustrating but the port should have supplied the correct information in the first place!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CocktailPrincess said:

We are going in Sept, and have booked our excursions with 3rd partys in advance. 

Do you know what our rights will be, if we then don't end up going to the ports...

You'll have to check with the 3rd parties concerned but most decent tour companies will refund any monies paid if your ship doesn't dock due to weather issues...

My sister and her family are on Iona at the moment and are not having the best time at all. Two of them have been quite sick with the rough seas. They managed to dock in Olden this morning but their excursion was cancelled due to bad weather & a landslide I think she said. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SarahHben said:

My sister and her family are on Iona at the moment and are not having the best time at all. Two of them have been quite sick with the rough seas. They managed to dock in Olden this morning but their excursion was cancelled due to bad weather & a landslide I think she said. 

I have friends on Iona at the moment too. Strangely they said Iona was coping well in the rough weather - they are 1st time cruisers. They sent some photos thru and it looks very murky in Olden but were still going up in the sky lift after lunch.

• Like 1

I’m glad they’re getting on better than my family. My sister was due to go to the Briksdal Glacier but they’ll just have a wander around instead.

One of the ones who have been sick has never been on a ship of any kind before, not even a ferry.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I’m glad they’re getting on better than my family. My sister was due to go to the Briksdal Glacier but they’ll just have a wander around instead.

One of the ones who have been sick has never been on a ship of any kind before, not even a ferry.

What a shame…..

Not looking good. Below is from the FCDO page....

11 August 2023
Updated:
7 August 2023
Latest update:
Information on an extreme weather warning issued for southern Norway including Oslo ('Warnings and insurance' page).

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) provides advice about risks of travel to help British nationals make informed decisions. Find out more about FCDO travel advice.

Extreme weather warning for southern Norway

Be aware of the current extreme weather warning issued for southern Norway, including Oslo, due to heavy rain and risk of floods and landslides. More information on forecasts and warning levels are available on the Varsom website