Any Chance of Rougher Seas on this Route?

LEMJMcC

Taking Quantum of the Seas out of Seattle next July.  Here's the route as near as I can tell:

AlaskaRoute.png.9f1e2ae113ec84b571be03ebe4d301f1.png

Any chance we'll run into rougher seas?  In a way, I kind of like it (I enjoy the pitch and roll of the ship), though I'm not sure if the rest of our travel party do.  Also, if you've taken a similar route, are we close enough to shore to see any scenery?  I doubt it, but not having been before, thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

Idk for sure but I would say that everything outside the inside passage has a chance to be a bit more rocky...that is, everything between Sitka and Victoria/Seattle. The one sailing I've taken was Vancouver through the inside passage which was all protected waters...but when we left to go into the Gulf of Alaska to access Hubbard Glacier...MAN...DH got sea sick...we were rocking. 

• Like 1

You're on the open ocean instead of protected Inside Passage waters, so yeah, it's going to be bumpier - maybe a little, maybe a lot.  And you'll be far enough offshore that I wouldn't expect much in the way of scenery, but that will depend on the precise locations chosen in real time.  That's a problem with (a) Seattle departures and (b) ships the size of the Quantum - too big to handle some of the narrower passes in the Salish Sea and other parts of the Canadian Inside Passage.

Departing Seattle, you will have some scenery until sunset when transiting Juan de Fuca. Once clear of Juan de Fuca you are too far offshore to see anything, with the possible exception of the peaks of the highest mountains. Next land sighting will be arrival Sitka. On return to Seattle, you will again be too far offshore to see anything worthwhile.

You are sailing the Pacific Ocean, so be prepared for any type of seas, even in July.

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

THIS! Not sure why this is always questioned. Seas can be rough any time, anywhere.

True, but the only "rough" seas we've encountered on previous Caribbean cruises were in a storm on our return from Cozumel to Orlando.  That was fun!  I must add that neither the dear wife nor I have been subject to seasickness, Lord willing we shan't be on future cruises...

Here's hoping!

Thanks.

Edited by LEMJMcC

5 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

THIS! Not sure why this is always questioned. Seas can be rough any time, anywhere.

Not sure what point you are trying to make.

"Seas can be rough any time, anywhere" - sorry, but based on my experience that isn't even even close to being factual. In the open ocean, probably, but not anywhere, as it requires fetch to build up seas.

Some areas of the World are also more susceptible than others. Others, such as the doldrums are less susceptible. 

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Not sure what point you are trying to make.

"Seas can be rough any time, anywhere" - sorry, but based on my experience that isn't even even close to being factual. In the open ocean, probably, but not anywhere, as it requires fetch to build up seas.

Some areas of the World are also more susceptible than others. Others, such as the doldrums are less susceptible. 

My point is people seem to approach cruising expecting the seas to be calm, based on the number of posts here where people ask if "it might be rough" or "is it calm on this itinerary". I don't believe any one can be guaranteed the seas will be calm, everywhere, all the time, thus one should go aboard a ship with the awareness the seas might be rough, rather than be hoping and praying they won't be, and surprised when they are.

The route the OP is asking about includes the Strait of San Juan de Fuca, the area where we experienced 4 hours of "throw you out of bed" roughness. One of two places we have experienced seriously rough waters on our 27 cruises. The Tasman was the other. 

Storms come up...stuff happens. Better to be prepared, than surpised.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

A lot also depends on your own version of rough.  Some people think that 2 metre swells are the end of the world ... and throw up accordingly .. others embrace heavy weather. 

Quite right!  I embrace heavier weather and somewhat relish it on a cruise, though I don't want to be selfish and callous toward the other passengers who may be more sensitive.  If the ship is not moving, I might as well be in a hotel room.  Again, I have to qualify all this by saying that I have never gotten seasick in my adult life; I'm certain that if I had, I'd be changing my tune.  Nevertheless, I would welcome some chop in the sea as long as it doesn't ruin the cruise experience for most of the guests.

15 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

My point is people seem to approach cruising expecting the seas to be calm, based on the number of posts here where people ask if "it might be rough" or "is it calm on this itinerary". I don't believe any one can be guaranteed the seas will be calm, everywhere, all the time, thus one should go aboard a ship with the awareness the seas might be rough, rather than be hoping and praying they won't be, and surprised when they are.

The route the OP is asking about includes the Strait of San Juan de Fuca, the area where we experienced 4 hours of "throw you out of bed" roughness. One of two places we have experienced seriously rough waters on our 27 cruises. The Tasman was the other. 

Storms come up...stuff happens. Better to be prepared, than surpised.

Thanks for the explanation.

Yes, the waters of Juan de Fuca, Georgia Strait and connecting channels, while inland waters, can experience some significant storms in both summer and winter. They are also aligned with the predominant winds, which are SE'ly in the winter and NW'ly in the summer, so with a good fetch, can build up some good seas. Summer storms with winds of up to 55 kts happen every few years, at which time Juan de Fuca would be rather uncomfortable. Georgia Strait, upon departure Vancouver, is no different, as I have had to steer weather courses and reduce speed a number of times during the summer months.

Even the R/T or 1-way cruises from Vancouver that use the "Inside Passage" can experience some significant seas in the coastal areas open to the Pacific. Hecate Strait is notorious, having significant winds and it is rather shallow on the Queen Charlotte Islands side. 

• Like 1

Go to wind alert dot com.  Wind alert would be all one word.  Then near top go to Live Wind then just drag the map to that area.  Sometimes I want to know how strong the winds are.  Strong winds mean waves.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1