Venice Hotel for persons with mobilty issues

1Lina

Hello,

I'm looking for some hotel suggestions in Venice for travel in June 2024. One of our travelers is in her 80's and wouldn't be able to walk long distances, or over lots of bridges while also shlepping luggage. I'm thinking of maybe a hotel right on the canal with a dock would be best, but I am open to other ideas if the hotel is nice. 

Tell me what your favorite "hidden gem" is in Venice. Thanks, Carole

This does not answer your question, but it's a nifty resource for those visiting Venice with mobility issues.  It's on the city's web site and, unfortunately, is only available in Italian, but with google translate you can clearly understand it.  It gives you step by step how to get around the most popular parts of Venice in a wheelchair.

Your 80-something year old might consider getting a transfer chair for travel.  They are inexpensive, lightweight, and allow a slower traveler to keep up with the group and not hold them back.  My mother traveled all over the world, on cruises and land trips, for the last 15 years of her life because a travel chair allowed her to reserve her energy.

Itinerari senza barriere | Comune di Venezia.

Carole, I also can't provide hotel recommendations, but I'll share with you what I learned from last month's trip in Venice with DH who has mobility issues.  (We stayed in an apartment, thus the reason I'm not recommending a hotel.)

First, as already mentioned elevators are rare so I'd book as soon as possible but you don't need to panic (yet).  You mentioned staying on the canal, but what are the locations your 80-year-old wants to visit.  Most Grand Canal hotels require you to back track/cross bridges to get to St. Marks, Rialto, Guggenheim. etc.  If the Rialto bridge is something they want to see find a hotel in that area, or if it's St. Marks that area - or as central as possible if it's all the sights.

I did a lot of google map going over the routes from point A to point B to determine where there were bridges (yes, it's detailed on their maps).  Then (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) most of the bridges aren't the big ones like at Rialto or Ponte degli Scalzi in the central area of Venice.  As long as we did a "leisurely" stroll we managed bridges fine and avoided major ones.  I know we had it down to only one small bridge to St. Marks!  Plus, as long as you're centrally located most of the primary attractions aren't that far apart,

Now, back to hotels.  I highly recommend looking for one that has a dock for a water taxi, and splurge/treat yourselves to a water taxi. Call the hotel to verify water taxis do dock there (I mention this as the apartment we rented had pictures of their private water entry, only to find out it wasn't available - ugh, ugh, ugh).  I'd start with one of the major hotel search web sites, and narrow down options by filtering for elevator, and then using their map to narrow down on a neighborhood.

A different option would be Hilton's Molino Stucky.  It's off island on Giudecca Island, but often recommended here on CC, and you can use Hilton points.  The downside is you'll have to take the shuttle back and forth, and the shuttle is no longer free.

How are you arriving to Venice .... airport, train, bus ?

-If arriving by train, a hotel near the station would be best.  The station is on the Grand Canal and has a vaporetto station out front

-If by bus, the Piazzale Roma area would be more convenient

- if by air,  a private water taxi could get you close to your hotel, if not right to the door if your hotel has a dock. Pricy tho, about $160 (for the boat, not per person.

I stayed at the Hotel Rialto.  I took a private water taxi (140 euro) from Tronchetto (where cruise bus transfers arrive, called "Venice City Center" by some cruise lines, about 150-160 to airport).  

I walked maybe 25-50 feet over NO bridges.  There were a couple small (maybe 2?) steps into the lobby.  They do have a smallish elevator. Now as for getting around the immediate area?  You'd be able to get to one Vaporetto stop with no steps/bridges (maybe 50-100 yard walk, maybe not that much).  It's a busy area but I booked it for ease of getting around (I wound up leaving for the JW Marriott as my room was too hot for me, AND tiny.  Book a bigger room and it's fine).

It's a LONG walk from the airport terminal to the water taxi pier at the airport.  I made a video from the water taxi dock to the check in area.  It's about 10 minutes of walking/moving sidewalks (you can't take luggage carts on the moving sidewalk).

This site may be helpful in choosing a hotel.

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/bridges/

I agree that a hotel near the train station or Piazzale Roma would be best for you.

18 hours ago, 1Lina said:

One of our travelers is in her 80's and wouldn't be able to walk long distances, or over lots of bridges while also shlepping luggage. I'm thinking of maybe a hotel right on the canal with a dock would be best, but I am open to other ideas if the hotel is nice. 

Tell me what your favorite "hidden gem" is in Venice. Thanks, Carole

I agree with you that a well located hotel on the Grand Canal with their own dock will be the best option. The only issue is that such hotels can be breathtakingly expensive.

One of the best located hotels for what you describe would be the Hotel Danieli-- adjacent to St Marks Square and there is a private dock off the canal that leads you directly into the lobby. Again-- this will be very expensive but you couldn't ask for a better located hotel for someone with mobility issues seeing some of the major sights of Venice. 

I meant to add a friend recommended Hotel Cavelletto e Dode Orseolo, but I'd already booked an apartment.  While I was in Venice I walked by it often, and it does have a private water dock.  It has great access to St Mark's Square (less than five-minute walk all flat with no bridges), and the Rialto Bridge about eight minutes.  However, beyond that I know nothing firsthand about the hotel, thus hesitant to recommend.  I checked several different hotel booking sights, and it has between 8 to 8.2 score on reviews.  I noticed it doesn't have much availability, but for central Venice the prices are not bad.  

Thank you, everyone, for your recommendations. We have booked Sina Palazzo Sant'Angelo for 4 nights and the hotel appears to be in a good location and has porters that can help with luggage.   If I find a better hotel that suits our needs we will cancel this, but we wanted to have something booked since we are going in high season and there was already limited availability since we require two beds. Again, thank you all for your help. 

Girr- Hotel Cavelletto e Dode Orseolo looks like a great alternative