Free at Sea at Cagneys question: sides

skittl1321

For Free at sea meals at Cagneys, I see it includes one appetizer course (either an appetizer or a soup/salad), a main course, and a dessert/

Are any side dishes included?

Also, what are the desserts? The Cagney's menu right now that people are showing for 2023 doesn't show any at all.

Still trying to decide between Cagneys and Le Bistro for where I'm getting my filet...  The one at Le Bistro has an upcharge to the dining package though, since the steak au poirve is apparently not on the new menu.

I stress too much about stuff, but thanks for the help!

9 minutes ago, skittl1321 said:

Yes, at least one. On our previous cruises, they didn't seem to have a limit. My wife is vegetarian so sides were pretty much all she could eat. Can't comment on the other stuff, I get full pretty fast so I never have room for dessert (and I'm not one of those people who will eat sweet stuff before savory). 🙂

Edit: Cagney's is an a-la-carte restaurant, so you pay for each of the sides separately (they're $9 each on the most recent menu). If you have the FAS, it should cover as many as you want. But I believe the "official" limit is what you've been told, which may differ from your actual onboard experience.

Edited by DCGuy64

1 hour ago, skittl1321 said:

For Free at sea meals at Cagneys, I see it includes one appetizer course (either an appetizer or a soup/salad), a main course, and a dessert/

Also, what are the desserts? The Cagney's menu right now that people are showing for 2023 doesn't show any at all.

Still trying to decide between Cagneys and Le Bistro for where I'm getting my filet...  The one at Le Bistro has an upcharge to the dining package though, since the steak au poirve is apparently not on the new menu.

Two sides. 

Filet at Bistro has an upcharge. 

IMG_4457.thumb.jpeg.bd7e1d5f04f4c164240b2d1f64ecb299.jpeg

Our Cagney’s dinner

IMG_4462.thumb.jpeg.7be55e99c4f3596ef7826f184f142a4c.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skittl1321 said:

The Filet at Le Bistro has a surcharge because it has foie gras on top.  

Can't think of a better way to ruin a steak than to cover it with duck liver.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

The Filet at Le Bistro has a surcharge because it has foie gras on top.  

Can't think of a better way to ruin a steak than to cover it with duck liver.

I'm apt to agree with you. I don't want foie gras. 

• Like 1

When you tell them you are using the free at sea meal plan they will tell you what all it includes. I know you get more with this meal than what comes with a platinum meal. 
the 7 layer cake chocolate cake is real good but usually to full to eat it. Rib eye and prime rib is 16oz each. Lobster bisque is yummy. 

Sorry to quote myself and also nudge OP's original question sideways a little, but further digging on these kind of terms show on the official NCL website -

https://www.ncl.com/about/terms-and-conditions/promotions

"Specialty Dining Packages include one main course per person at Cagney's and Le Bistro"

Obviously stating that would suggest at any other ah la carte venue such as Ocean Blue, you could hypothetically order multiple main courses and not be charged and not be charged. Presume, that would apply for appetizers as well, once again, at least at restaurants other than Cagney's and La Bistro.

1 hour ago, joydivision84 said:

I was recently told that Cagney's and La Bistro are inherently as many appetizers, sides and desserts as you want, and one entree. Strictly one entree.

Is that not the case? This was direct from an NCL representative on the phone.

Not the case. 1 app. 1 soup or salad

https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

An SDP meal in a la carte restaurants includes 1 appetizer, 1 soup or salad, 1 main course and 1 dessert (does not apply to cover charge restaurants or Food Republic, Pincho Tapas Bar and Sushi, where a meal includes any 4 menu items)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joydivision84 said:

"Specialty Dining Packages include one main course per person at Cagney's and Le Bistro"

Obviously stating that would suggest at any other ah la carte venue such as Ocean Blue, you could hypothetically order multiple main courses and not be charged and not be charged. Presume, that would apply for appetizers as well, once again, at least at restaurants other than Cagney's and La Bistro.

It does suggest what you say, but logically and legally it does not state you can have more than one appetizer/dessert, or that you can have more than one main dish at other restaurants. This was allowed several years ago (when this language first appeared in the terms and conditions), but it is no longer the case.

The servers will explain the rules very clearly when they give you the menu. It's a little different at every restaurant, but other than Moderno, they will never (officially) say feel free to order as much as you want for no extra charge. Not even the sides and sauces at Cagney's. Now, in reality, if you ask for another sauce or an extra side, or three desserts for two people, there is a good chance that you won't be charged anything. But the days of people freely ordering multiples of everything (as you can still happily do in the MDR) are long gone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

Not the case. 1 app. 1 soup or salad

https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

An SDP meal in a la carte restaurants includes 1 appetizer, 1 soup or salad, 1 main course and 1 dessert (does not apply to cover charge restaurants or Food Republic, Pincho Tapas Bar and Sushi, where a meal includes any 4 menu items)

Interesting, yeah, it does state that as you say. Just strange to see multiple terms and conditions for inherently the same thing, free at sea stating what I quoted, which is hmm, suggestively open ended in a way? ha, and then what you quoted from the speciality dining t&c's, which is  very clear and says exactly what you said.

Since you posted that picture of your receipt showing what looks like your party of 2 having had 4 appetizers, I presume though either they don't necessarily stick to the '1 app, 1 entree, 1 desert etc' policy, or as shown on your receipt it's a least a little more chilled that they state, especially, or maybe only regarding starters. Here's hoping we get that luck as well. Will just be polite as always and try and charm them. 🙂 I would never order 2 mains, but a few appetizers is also a treat. 

36 minutes ago, joydivision84 said:

Interesting, yeah, it does state that as you say. Just strange to see multiple terms and conditions for inherently the same thing, free at sea stating what I quoted, which is hmm, suggestively open ended in a way? ha, and then what you quoted from the speciality dining t&c's, which is  very clear and says exactly what you said.

Since you posted that picture of your receipt showing what looks like your party of 2 having had 4 appetizers, I presume though either they don't necessarily stick to the '1 app, 1 entree, 1 desert etc' policy, or as shown on your receipt it's a least a little more chilled that they state, especially, or maybe only regarding starters. Here's hoping we get that luck as well. Will just be polite as always and try and charm them. 🙂 I would never order 2 mains, but a few appetizers is also a treat. 

Dining Plan is 1 app 1 soup/salad 1 entree 1 dessert. 

Latitudes is 1 app 1 entree 1 dessert. 

We order what we want. If they decide to charge us, the world would not come to  an end. We have a lot of OBC. 

FWIW we dined at Cagney’s and Le Bistro on the Escape in May using our latitudes vouchers and they covered 1-1-1-1 (receipt above and below). IMG_4830.thumb.jpeg.bdbcea00cdbeb8edb39897e61e631160.jpeg

• Like 2

On 8/11/2023 at 7:53 PM, cruisinmeme said:

When you tell them you are using the free at sea meal plan they will tell you what all it includes. 

Knowing what it includes is helping me decide what to book...  I am having a very hard time deciding!

• Like 1