Mykonos Cruise Stop - How to get to Mykonos town from the ship

alpencoolcruiser

We were on the Virgin Voyages to Mykonos - we were tendered to shore but then a friend of mine had her ship docked and this got us comparing notes and I decided to make a short video with information we pooled together. It seems that for some cruise lines in the schedule it shows Tendered / Docked and for most of the time it is based on the availability of the dock. So this could be a last minute outcome if tendered or docked.

• Like 3

Nice video thank you! We just visited Mykonos with Princess. Hope it’s ok if I share my notes in your thread as an addition:

Mykonos is WINDY and sunny. Be prepared

Tenders is always a bit of a hassle. When arriving at 12:00 and the first tender is at 12:30 the earliest if everything goes right.

First get a ticket. Then wait when your number is called. The groups go first so don’t expect to get off just after 12.30

Next you are in the new port. There’s nothing and you can’t walk to Mykonos town. Options are:

Water taxi 2 euro one way. This is always a nice option

Princess shuttle was 10 dollar per person

Taxi’s, well there are around 30 on the whole island I’ve read somewhere. So when it’s busy in the port it gets difficult I guess.

So when you are finally in the old town it might took you some time

Now to get a a specific beach the next step is to find the right bus station to take a bus from. Walking from Mykonos town to Fabrika bus station for example is is an extra step that takes some walking time. Watch the timetables and be prepared for a delay in the bus service and missing a bus because it’s already full

The last tender leaves an hour before departure time. So be on time and prepare for some extra delays so you can be back in time

• Like 3

So if our ship is docking at Mykonos (no tenders or "water shuttles" as Princess calls them) does this mean we dock far from the town center? And then we have to pay the Princess shuttle bus fee to get into town? Do people try to walk from the dock or is it not possible? The last time we went to Mykonos we were tendered in and walked right into town. This was 9 years ago though. Any info appreciated 🙂

• Like 1

When I was there last Sept (NCL), we were scheduled to tender but we docked instead, at the New Port.  As soon as we exited the port terminal there was a free shuttle bus.  It dropped us off at the Old Port, by a beach. From there it was a short walk along a waterfront path to Mykonos town, 5-10 minutes.

On the way back we thought the SeaBus would be a more scenic route. For 2E, why not?  It dropped us quite close to the New Port.   

I'd look for the free shuttle first. If it's not offered, take the Seabus for 2E. Certainly don't pay $10 for a shuttle!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rocklinmom said:

So if our ship is docking at Mykonos (no tenders or "water shuttles" as Princess calls them) does this mean we dock far from the town center? And then we have to pay the Princess shuttle bus fee to get into town? Do people try to walk from the dock or is it not possible? The last time we went to Mykonos we were tendered in and walked right into town. This was 9 years ago though. Any info appreciated 🙂

The cruise ship if docked is about 3km away from the town center. Some people do walk it but it is not recommended as some areas have no real walking pavements and you would be walking on the main road with cars whizzing by. According to Google maps taking takes 30 mins to the town and additionally there is more walking ahead when visiting the town. As @mapleleaves and @Labanos mentioned the water taxi / sea bus is the better option for getting to Mykonos town.

• Thanks 1

Eleven years ago we did walk to town.  It was much as described above and I wouldn't do it again.  Not that far or hard except that much of the way had no sidewalk, so we had to walk along the edge of a busy and curvy/hilly road.  

Definitely not doing it at now, at 78 (although I could) when we arrive next May.  Not worth it with the traffic, etc.

• Like 1

Trying to figure out if RC Explorer of the Seas usually docks at New Port or tender. There is 1 other smaller ship, Azamara in Mykonos that day from 9am-10pm. Explorer is in port from 7am-5pm.  RC says tender?  Since Explorer arrives earlier at 7am and is a bigger ship with alot more passengers, would she have priority to dock at New Port rather than tender? 

3 hours ago, TeamCan said:

Trying to figure out if RC Explorer of the Seas usually docks at New Port or tender. There is 1 other smaller ship, Azamara in Mykonos that day from 9am-10pm. Explorer is in port from 7am-5pm.  RC says tender?  Since Explorer arrives earlier at 7am and is a bigger ship with alot more passengers, would she have priority to dock at New Port rather than tender? 

The best source would be the cruise company itself : try checking with them before your trip. My friend was on a VV cruise which at first tendered then later moved to the dock : so I would check with the cruise line.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TeamCan said:

We tendered in May.  Took the water bus/water taxi from the dock to Mykonos town.  It was easy. We never moved to the dock at all.

I made a quick little video to, and I show the water bus as well as the tender to/from the ship

• Like 2

16 hours ago, megr1125 said:

We tendered in May.  Took the water bus/water taxi from the dock to Mykonos town.  It was easy. We never moved to the dock at all.

I made a quick little video to, and I show the water bus as well as the tender to/from the ship

Thank you so much for the info and tips! ...Kazarma for breakfast 😋We now know exactly what to expect on tendering on the Explorer.  Loved your video!  Very much looking forward to visiting Mykonos! 😊

On 8/25/2023 at 5:32 AM, megr1125 said:

Thanks for the info... one more question...Did Explorer tender into the Mykonos OLD port and we take the SeaBus from there to the Tender Station at Mykonos Town.   Or did Explorer tender into the Mykonos NEW port (Tourlos) cruise dock and we take the SeaBus from there to the Tender Station at Mykonos Town(Chora).  Thank you!

• Like 1

With Princess, and i think with the video as well, it worked like this:

- tender from ship to the new port

- from the new port take the water taxi to the old port (or a bus shuttle)

- the old port is in Mykonos town

• Thanks 1

Hmmm there appears to be 3 different places to be dropped off on land in Mykonos from the posts here.  I attach this map of sea bus stations.

My friend on the Virgin Voyages (VV) was docked on Tourlos New port (1) in the map and she took the sea bus to the Mykonos old town (4) 

I on the Virgin Voyages was parked at the bay as in my video and was tendered directly to Mykonos old town (4) 

It looks like @megr1125 RC was parked at the bay and tendered to the Mykonos old port (3) and took the seabus to Mykonos old town. Can you confirm ?

image.thumb.png.92c4ccb551ee1c9f23be1973e4bca83a.png

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, TeamCan said:

Thanks for the info... one more question...Did Explorer tender into the Mykonos OLD port and we take the SeaBus from there to the Tender Station at Mykonos Town.   Or did Explorer tender into the Mykonos NEW port (Tourlos) cruise dock and we take the SeaBus from there to the Tender Station at Mykonos Town(Chora).  Thank you!

Old port.  Someone posted a map, we arrived via tender at #3 and took the SeaBus to #4.

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2023 at 10:59 PM, alpencoolcruiser said:

Hmmm there appears to be 3 different places to be dropped off on land in Mykonos from the posts here.  I attach this map of sea bus stations.

My friend on the Virgin Voyages (VV) was docked on Tourlos New port (1) in the map and she took the sea bus to the Mykonos old town (4) 

I on the Virgin Voyages was parked at the bay as in my video and was tendered directly to Mykonos old town (4) 

It looks like @megr1125 RC was parked at the bay and tendered to the Mykonos old port (3) and took the seabus to Mykonos old town. Can you confirm ?

image.thumb.png.92c4ccb551ee1c9f23be1973e4bca83a.png

Thanks so much for the clarification and the attached map! 😊  I like VV's direct tender to Mykonos Town... that saves time and and queuing for the Seabus.  With RC, looks like we have to take 2 boat rides to get to Mykonos Town. :classic_sad:

• Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 6:04 AM, megr1125 said:

Old port.  Someone posted a map, we arrived via tender at #3 and took the SeaBus to #4.

Thank you!  We have an excursion at 10... so we should be fine. It would be nice if RC could tender us directly to Mykonos Town(#4).

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

Thanks for posting the videos.  Do you happen to know how much the drinks were at the waterfront?

I just remembered it being expensive but sorry that was years ago when i had drinks there but you can always check the bar you are interested in and check for online menus

Edited by alpencoolcruiser
  • Like 1