Cheapo Dad's Trip Report on the Navigator of the Seas (Maybe with few pictures added)...

4 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

Oh, this is great info.

Let me summarize some of the info making sure I understand it correctly:

·       NorthStar – We need to reserve on the handy dandy App.  Day 1 is the easiest to get the open slot. For the rest of the cruise, the time slots are normally released the night before for the next day.  Best to check with the staff on board. So Day 1 time slots are open as soon as we board?

For us the paid reservations for the North Star and iFly showed up on the planner before we boarded but we’re usually unavailable to book. I was able to book “The Book” in the planner but that reservation vanished a day or so before we boarded. I was able to book all three of these on the app for whatever day I wanted as well as the free reservations for North Star and iFly on boarding day. No running around was required as ice it was easy to do through the app.
Our cabin steward was able to get us paper copies of all of the compasses for the duration of the cruise including the one for day 1. I do not know if they had compasses at GS on day 1 as we did not go near the place! 

·       Two shows at 270 – Effectors and The Book can be reserved on the handy dandy App from home or once on board (where on board do you reserve them?

·       Showgirls? Is that the show in the main theater?  We saw Showgirls on the Navigator.  Is that the same one?

I suspect that Showgirls may be the same avow as you saw on Navigator. Your pictures look similar. Effectors did not require reservations on our sailing.

Do they actually have a Day 1 paper compass at GS?  I went to check the slots where they used to have them and there was a message that said to ask the cabin steward.  By the time we saw her, it was late in the afternoon, and she only gave us the day 2 compass

My Day 1 is typically nonstop action as we run around everywhere taking pictures of places/scenery of the port area. I will have a better idea of what we need to do that day after the show reservations are already booked or not.

Thanks again for the information.  It provides a big picture overall of what needs to be done.

Forgot to add a couple of Showgirl photos from our cruise on the Navigator - this will be part of the day 4 report.  This is the same one as the Odyssey?

20230810_190912.thumb.jpg.ef72bdedda0d829078d79d060157662c.jpg

20230810_194045.thumb.jpg.5d0c1d43d0636eb3abefd82cdb1a683b.jpg

I’m not sure how helpful my answers in red inserted into your quoted post will be but it helped me keep track of the bullet points you were asking about. I’m furling old today! 

I also see that @FionaMG and @h20skibum have already addressed  most of your questions very well ahead of my somewhat messy replies.

We we’re able to board Odyssey fairly early so we found a quiet place to sit down and do all of the bookings I needed in the app. I sent DH to pick up our soda package cups and get them filled while I made our bookings. After that I went to Shore Excursions to get an excursion booking that I had a problem with in the app straightened out, then checked in at our muster station, followed by lunch in the Windjammer. As we were finishing lunch the rooms were opened up so we went to our room. We found  luggage  in the hall, so we grabbed it, unpacked and relaxed on our balcony until sailaway. It was a great start to our cruise. 😎

• Like 3

4 hours ago, broberts said:

In my book a real pleasure of cruising is long, leisurely diners with interesting tablemates.

You will probably be amongst the last 10% of the diners leaving MDR nightly as nowadays RCI rushes you through things by asking you to pre-order your dessert so that saves at least 10 minutes of meal time in presenting you a dessert menu/gives you time to order/taking the time to write down the order/the wait staff dropping off the order.

By the time we were done around the 9:40 mark, the MDR was only 1/4 full.  So if you are enjoying a more leisurely dinner, you and your group will likely be amongst the last ones there.

2 hours ago, perfect match said:

For us the paid reservations for the North Star and iFly showed up on the planner before we boarded but we’re usually unavailable to book. I was able to book “The Book” in the planner but that reservation vanished a day or so before we boarded. I was able to book all three of these on the app for whatever day I wanted as well as the free reservations for North Star and iFly on boarding day. No running around was required as ice it was easy to do through the app.
Our cabin steward was able to get us paper copies of all of the compasses for the duration of the cruise including the one for day 1. I do not know if they had compasses at GS on day 1 as we did not go near the place! 

I’m not sure how helpful my answers in red inserted into your quoted post will be but it helped me keep track of the bullet points you were asking about. I’m furling old today! 

I also see that @FionaMG and @h20skibum have already addressed  most of your questions very well ahead of my somewhat messy replies.

We we’re able to board Odyssey fairly early so we found a quiet place to sit down and do all of the bookings I needed in the app. I sent DH to pick up our soda package cups and get them filled while I made our bookings. After that I went to Shore Excursions to get an excursion booking that I had a problem with in the app straightened out, then checked in at our muster station, followed by lunch in the Windjammer. As we were finishing lunch the rooms were opened up so we went to our room. We found  luggage  in the hall, so we grabbed it, unpacked and relaxed on our balcony until sailaway. It was a great start to our cruise. 😎

Thanks for the additional info. So we are back to the handy dandy phone App to book everything.

But is there a kiosk or something at the Esplanade or at 270 to talk to a live person?  There must be some people out there that are not phone App savvy.

I know the folks in the suites can have a concierge help them but those of us staying in the slums area should have a physical location to go and talk to someone to book. I will try to walk around the 270 area after lunch to see if there is a physical location to book the shows.

Before I wrap up Day 2's events, I saw this news feed on my phone the other day.  Felt this is appropriate as we were just talking about food:

https://www.sciencealert.com/if-a-fly-lands-in-your-drink-should-you-still-drink-it

So the question is if a fly lands in your drink, is it safe to drink it?

Yeah, I ask all the difficult questions here in my trip report, don't I?

Maybe for some people, it's OK to drink it if they add more alcohol to the drink to wash it down. Maybe add some hot sauce or something?

• Haha 1

10:05 PM, time for the Crazy Quest Game. 

We had played the PG 13 version of the Quest Game when we were on the Independence back in 2017 as the boys were not old enough to participate in the adult version.

In the daily planner (in case anyone actually read it) or probably on the App, it said ages of 18+ but not everyone reads.  Some family brought their kids to the show and sat down waiting.  Someone in the next row reminded the parents that the show can be raunchy and not meant for kids and the family ran out of there real fast.  Oops.

Another dude asked us as we were walking in – is this the ice show at 10:15?  Ehhh, not exactly…

Guess he was thinking it was like the ice show last night.  When we told him this was the adult-only Quest show, he had a confused look as he didn’t understand why RCI would have an adult-only Quest game…

• Like 1

I debated on how many pictures to post from the show as too much info would spoil it and no info goes against my philosophy of taking y’all with me on a cruise.

The compromise I decided on is to provide a few pictures and a short video clips without much background.  How and what the show is about, you can go see for yourself.

Y’all probably know by now I have an odd twisted warp sense of humor so this show works well for us.  The 6 of us, yes, including the in-laws attended as they didn’t understand the full English discussions but they liked the action sequences and all of us were laughing over the show afterward for a couple of days.

All 6 of us contributed items to try to help our team (#2) win.  I contributed my belt so be sure to wear a belt if you attend the event as you might need it. 

Also, wear socks.  Hint:  ALL socks have at least one hole.

You are welcome…

20230808_220438.thumb.jpg.5bbab8e60b25c3f15ac6147a56b52baf.jpg

The woman in the black dress and the older guy behind her were our team captains

20230808_223956.thumb.jpg.d89536c7852b80c340853ba50159d832.jpg

20230808_224510.thumb.jpg.17bed8438d340bfda861d2abe73caff1.jpg

20230808_231203.thumb.jpg.de872d741cbcfcc544163cbea5a2609d.jpg

20230808_231301.thumb.jpg.594a8f025a45596b488553468694abef.jpg

Our team captain

20230808_231328.thumb.jpg.dd75bf2890ccfebe054d21def5e6b13d.jpg

20230808_231319.thumb.jpg.7764b6ba4f2790dbb3f6995870ef69a8.jpg

• Like 2

The last picture from Studio B was time-stamped at 11:17 so by the time we made it to the café promenade on deck 5 to get our usual water and hot tea for the night, we didn’t get back to the cabin until after 11:40 and by the time we changed and unwind after a crazy event, it was well after midnight before we went to sleep.

I’ll let the Eurythmics close out the night with “Sweet Dreams”

This concludes Day 2 of the trip report.

As always, thanks to all who have been reading along these past several weeks and contributing to the report. 

Since this was a short cruise, we are at the halfway point already – probably past halfway point as the report is more front-loaded on Day 1 and 0 with preparation discussion.

1 hour ago, harryfat1 said:

Thanks for the additional info. So we are back to the handy dandy phone App to book everything.

But is there a kiosk or something at the Esplanade or at 270 to talk to a live person?  There must be some people out there that are not phone App savvy.

I know the folks in the suites can have a concierge help them but those of us staying in the slums area should have a physical location to go and talk to someone to book. I will try to walk around the 270 area after lunch to see if there is a physical location to book the shows.

Our muster station was in 270 so we were definitely in there. There was no one  that I saw there who would be able to help with bookings. I think I saw a box office near the theater and Shore Excursions was open and not crowded. They would have been able to help with iFly and North Star as well as any other excursions you might want to book.

When we first started cruising on Oasis class ships I didn’t think I would like booking shows and other such things in advance. I really shouldn’t be surprised to find out that I really like having the ability to get everything booked in advance. It lets me prioritize the things we really want to do so we don’t miss out on things that are important to us due to a conflict with another high priority that could have easily been avoided if we had seen the schedule in advance and planned accordingly. I do not do hour by hour spreadsheets like I’ve seen some people do, just a rough framework so we won’t be disappointed by missing out on activities we were really looking forward to doing. In full disclosure, I don’t do spreadsheets because I’m not very proficient at doing spreadsheets! I do make a chart using a pencil ✏️ and paper though! 😂

Edited by perfect match

51 minutes ago, harryfat1 said:

Our team didn’t win but it was a lot of fun. 

Afterward, everyone was invited to go onto the middle area (they covered over the ice rink) and dance to Y-M-C-A

20230808_231822.thumb.jpg.8b588ebf7eee01ab3f7ccf8f76b07f56.jpg

20230808_231840.thumb.jpg.29648a7c8123000322216a84834417f0.jpg

Which letter is younger son doing? 😀☺️😀

Edited by Coralc
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

Oh, this is great info.

Let me summarize some of the info making sure I understand it correctly:

·       NorthStar – We need to reserve on the handy dandy App.  Day 1 is the easiest to get the open slot. For the rest of the cruise, the time slots are normally released the night before for the next day.  Best to check with the staff on board. So Day 1 time slots are open as soon as we board?

·       Two shows at 270 – Effectors and The Book can be reserved on the handy dandy App from home or once on board (where on board do you reserve them?

·       Showgirls? Is that the show in the main theater?  We saw Showgirls on the Navigator.  Is that the same one?

Do they actually have a Day 1 paper compass at GS?  I went to check the slots where they used to have them and there was a message that said to ask the cabin steward.  By the time we saw her, it was late in the afternoon, and she only gave us the day 2 compass

My Day 1 is typically nonstop action as we run around everywhere taking pictures of places/scenery of the port area. I will have a better idea of what we need to do that day after the show reservations are already booked or not.

Thanks again for the information.  It provides a big picture overall of what needs to be done.

Forgot to add a couple of Showgirl photos from our cruise on the Navigator - this will be part of the day 4 report.  This is the same one as the Odyssey?

20230810_190912.thumb.jpg.ef72bdedda0d829078d79d060157662c.jpg

20230810_194045.thumb.jpg.5d0c1d43d0636eb3abefd82cdb1a683b.jpg

Sorry for the delay in replying. There's an 8-hour time difference between where you are and where I am. I get this all the time with my son who lives in SoCal.

Anyway:

Yes, correct. For North Star, check with staff either at the entrance to the ride or at the Sports Staff desk in the Seaplex. Day 1 slots are open on the app as soon as you board. Note that you will only be able to see them once you are connected to the ship's WiFi.

There's only one show in 270: The Book. I don't know if you can book it from home on the app but you should be able to do so on the Cruise Planner (Entertainment tab). As I said before, check back often so you don't miss it opening up for bookings.

Effectors is in the main theatre. On my sailing that was first come first served, no booking required. I don't know if that is still the case. If pre-booking is available it would be the same as for The Book.

Bookings where required and subject to availability should be possible on the app after boarding and connecting to the ship's Wifi. However, it's better to book in advance from home as some (most or even all) will sell out before anyone ever sets foot on the ship and then you're stuck with the stand-by line.

I don't know about a kiosk but if there is one I would expect it to be somewhere on the Esplanade. There definitely isn't one in 270. But, honestly, the app is so easy and as long as your bookings are all linked one person can book for everyone. Assign this task to one of the boys if technology isn't your thing. 😂

Yes, it's in the main theatre and judging by your pics it looks to be the same show. Here are a couple of mine.

PXL_20220514_194710086.thumb.jpg.b8960e732da36f810cb26a44f6330b29.jpg

PXL_20220514_195737410.thumb.jpg.9ba39f347bdea0b13a6a26d8b38a576f.jpg

Do they actually have a Day 1 paper compass at GS?  I went to check the slots where they used to have them and there was a message that said to ask the cabin steward.

Yes, they do, but they're not out on display. You have to get in the line and ask for one. You may not need to wait until an agent at one of the desks is free; if there is someone working the line, they will be able to get it for you. Thereafter, your cabin steward will provide them for you. Some of them do this without you asking but it's best to make it clear to them that you definitely want one.

The last picture from Studio B was time-stamped at 11:17 so by the time we made it to the café promenade on deck 5 to get our usual water and hot tea for the night, we didn’t get back to the cabin until after 11:40 and by the time we changed and unwind after a crazy event, it was well after midnight before we went to sleep.

I’ll let the Eurythmics close out the night with “Sweet Dreams”

This concludes Day 2 of the trip report.

As always, thanks to all who have been reading along these past several weeks and contributing to the report. 

Since this was a short cruise, we are at the halfway point already – probably past halfway point as the report is more front-loaded on Day 1 and 0 with preparation discussion.

I really like the music videos that you post.  They are on topic (i.e. sweet dreams before going to bed) but also interesting covers of the original artist.  How do you find all of these cover songs?  Do you already know what songs you want for different situations or do you search for something like "bedtime related music"?

17 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

What is the "typical" theme night for day 2?  French night? 

So are you saying the typical formal night menu on other sailings is not Mexican night?

Here are our 4-night theme dinners:

Day 1 - Welcome Night

Day 2 - Mexican Night

Day 3 - Caribbean Night

Day 4 - Italian Night

I would feel better if they swapped Day 1 and Day 2 menus as at least I got prime rib (a double portion of meat for some folks) for formal night. It made me feel like I got dressed up for something special. 

Eating enchilada just felt like I went to a local taqueria and I wondered to myself why I dragged my dress shirt/tie 400 miles for this?

If I had a Mexican menu on the first night, with people not fully unpacked and in their casual clothes, the dinner theme corresponds to the attire.

We've never sailed shorter than 6 nights on Royal so can't say for sure, but yes my expectation would be French night.  That menu (or a version of it)  been the first formal night on pretty much every cruise we've been on.  I really look forward to the beef tenderloin.

However, Royal has revamped their protocol of which menu is served when.  I think I see that French and Royal nights are only on 6 night or longer cruises.

IMO, Mexican is the weakest menu followed by Caribbean night.  Shame they put BOTH of those on a 4 night cruise.

Edited by The Fun Researcher

13 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

Sometimes, especially on day 1, there is a tech person on duty near Guest services or on an adjacent floor to help people setup and connect the App WIFI and with any other problems.  Just ask someone as you board where the internet assistance is.  On the Anthem I have seen people wearing an INTERNET ASSISTANCE vest roaming around to help people.

14 hours ago, perfect match said:

Our muster station was in 270 so we were definitely in there. There was no one  that I saw there who would be able to help with bookings. I think I saw a box office near the theater and Shore Excursions was open and not crowded. They would have been able to help with iFly and North Star as well as any other excursions you might want to book.

When we first started cruising on Oasis class ships I didn’t think I would like booking shows and other such things in advance. I really shouldn’t be surprised to find out that I really like having the ability to get everything booked in advance. It lets me prioritize the things we really want to do so we don’t miss out on things that are important to us due to a conflict with another high priority that could have easily been avoided if we had seen the schedule in advance and planned accordingly. I do not do hour by hour spreadsheets like I’ve seen some people do, just a rough framework so we won’t be disappointed by missing out on activities we were really looking forward to doing. In full disclosure, I don’t do spreadsheets because I’m not very proficient at doing spreadsheets! I do make a chart using a pencil ✏️ and paper though! 😂

Thanks for the heads up to check at the excursion desk to book the shows in person.  I’m not above asking every person in uniform for help if I can’t find what I need.

Oh, yeah, spreadsheets. The people in the Finance world would be dead in the waters if we didn’t have our spreadsheets. That’s the first software I pull up daily at work – right after checking my work email. Likely be the last thing I use at work as I save the file and log out of my work laptop.

I did a spreadsheet for the Allure cruise back in 2014 as I just took a quick glance at my old trip report on page 1 (post #17) and re-downloaded it to myself as I provided a soft copy to download for anyone who wanted a template to help them get started

image.thumb.png.d77425161dbc05751bb9b80b6b74e525.png

CC is part of my cloud storage as I can get faster access to my older files than looking for them on my hard drive…🤪

I think I was probably 9.438 on the anal scale back then since Allure was our biggest ship and required the most amount of planning as I colored-coded different categories. 

Not sure if the new friends here know I’m a big Disney fan but the folks that have been reading my posts from the past know that.

Anyway, the reason I brought that up is to show that in preparing for the WDW trip, I was at the height of anality back then (yeah, this is an actual word.  Of course I looked it up being anal and all). 

We were going there with friends and my wife’s brother's family so I was working on the schedule regularly and emailing them frequent updates. I’m sure they probably just rolled their eyes every time a new version came out.

It was like software updates.  The one version I found was version 4.3.  Think the final version was 5?

For WDW, you have to reserve your restaurants 180 days out.  I was up at the crack of dawn as they opened their dining reservation system at 6 AM EST/3 AM PST daily.  I had a backup of backup of backup restaurants if I couldn’t get restaurant A at this date and then use restaurant B instead and move restaurant C to replace…

Back then Disney had a limit on the old Fastpass system so I wrote down in order what Fastpass to get when and where.

image.thumb.png.f05fa3a5c29aad7a08ac82d7c982abef.png

All in all, I think I was at the 9.798 scale at that stage of my life.

I know it’s hard to believe that I have actually “mellowed out” since then and dropped down to 9.2 on the scale where I am now as I didn’t do any spreadsheet the past 2 cruises but it sounds like I might need to dust off the old file for just for the Odyssey.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Coralc said:

Which letter is younger son doing? 😀☺️😀

14 hours ago, Coralc said:

I'm just kidding. It looks like they are having a wonderful time. And it is a great, happy photo of your boys. 😊

Haha, not sure what he was doing.  Maybe transiting between Y and C?

Somewhere down the road as I graduate from Cheapo Dad to Cheapo Grandpa, for the 70s night, I will have my grandkids take me out to the Royal Promenade in a wheelchair, and at the YMCA dance part, I will just be doing the Y-Y-Y-Y  as by then arthritis will have set in and old man arms will be locked in the Y position and can’t change fast enough…

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, FionaMG said:

Sorry for the delay in replying. There's an 8-hour time difference between where you are and where I am. I get this all the time with my son who lives in SoCal.

Anyway:

Yes, correct. For North Star, check with staff either at the entrance to the ride or at the Sports Staff desk in the Seaplex. Day 1 slots are open on the app as soon as you board. Note that you will only be able to see them once you are connected to the ship's WiFi.

There's only one show in 270: The Book. I don't know if you can book it from home on the app but you should be able to do so on the Cruise Planner (Entertainment tab). As I said before, check back often so you don't miss it opening up for bookings.

Effectors is in the main theatre. On my sailing that was first come first served, no booking required. I don't know if that is still the case. If pre-booking is available it would be the same as for The Book.

Bookings where required and subject to availability should be possible on the app after boarding and connecting to the ship's Wifi. However, it's better to book in advance from home as some (most or even all) will sell out before anyone ever sets foot on the ship and then you're stuck with the stand-by line.

I don't know about a kiosk but if there is one I would expect it to be somewhere on the Esplanade. There definitely isn't one in 270. But, honestly, the app is so easy and as long as your bookings are all linked one person can book for everyone. Assign this task to one of the boys if technology isn't your thing. 😂

Yes, it's in the main theatre and judging by your pics it looks to be the same show. Here are a couple of mine.

PXL_20220514_194710086.thumb.jpg.b8960e732da36f810cb26a44f6330b29.jpg

PXL_20220514_195737410.thumb.jpg.9ba39f347bdea0b13a6a26d8b38a576f.jpg

Do they actually have a Day 1 paper compass at GS?  I went to check the slots where they used to have them and there was a message that said to ask the cabin steward.

Yes, they do, but they're not out on display. You have to get in the line and ask for one. You may not need to wait until an agent at one of the desks is free; if there is someone working the line, they will be able to get it for you. Thereafter, your cabin steward will provide them for you. Some of them do this without you asking but it's best to make it clear to them that you definitely want one.

No worries. I know you are in Portugal from your signature.  No rush to respond as you know I will be here for a while longer.

Thanks for all the tips.  I will make a mental note of that (or put it in the spreadsheet).

Per the RCI website, reserving “The Book” is done via the App or while on board.

image.thumb.png.6b789778512c429b86eda79ef196aefc.png

Yeah, my younger son is a Computer Science major in college so he gets these tasks as I will stick with my Excel spreadsheet.

Showgirls look to be the same as they are both displayed on the RCI website but Navigator just had a different set of costumes so it will likely be “new” to us as we will likely not remember the show by December.

image.thumb.png.c4a84f144ccea6a35e6711bb7e9a3034.png

For the Navigator, I requested the cabin steward to bring the daily compass so I know about that part but we only got them from day 2 onward. Since she didn’t give me the day 1 compass, I just assumed there wasn’t one printed anywhere.  Good to know it’s at GS. Another “to do” for the Excel spreadsheet…

• Like 2

Awwww, YES! Finally, someone commented on the music.  I was starting to wonder if anyone other than @BIBPhotography checked them out as we know he was dancing with the ladies at the Baby Got Back song on boarding day.

As for the music, these are just songs from my generation so I remember these songs/lyrics, and sometimes a picture or event will just trigger a “this song would be good” at this time moment. Just like in the movies, they always have music to enhance the proper mood moment. I try to do the same here as well.

I don’t know most of the current top songs as I still listen to the “oldies” station in the car so don’t expect any of the top hits from the last 5 years to make it here as I don’t know them like my boys.

I have a set of “regular songs” that I use as part of the trip report.  For example, I always use “Time to Say Goodbye” on the last day of the cruise.

I plan to drop in a ton of the disco song covers when I talk about the 70s dance party at the end of Day 3’s report

As for the Cover songs, I just go to YouTube and search for something like – Here Comes the Sun cover – and out comes 5 plus cover bands.  I sampled a few and just picked one that I like to share.

I really didn’t know about the “cover bands” until the Covid period when we were all working remotely and could listen to background music at home while working which you couldn’t do in a regular office environment previously.  Started listening to a couple of them and the software tracks what you watch and keeps recommending more and more of them. Nowadays when I pull up YouTube under my account, I get lots of Cover recommendations.

Only now did I realize some cover videos have garnered multi-million views to generate income for artists we never would have ever heard of.

Like that Dreams Cover video I provided from post #145.  That video has 44 Million views worldwide and got the singer noticed.

Some artists cross platforms and those become really interesting.  One of my favorites is the 2Cellos.  Does everyone think cello playing is boring?  You haven’t heard Cellos playing Bon Jovi’s Livin' on a Prayer.

These guys swing their necks so much that they will need chiropractor realignment after this video.

As a “trailer” for upcoming attractions, I plan to use their Pirates of the Caribbean video in the December trip report as it’s more appropriate than versus the Mexico sailing

• Like 4

7 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

We've never sailed shorter than 6 nights on Royal so can't say for sure, but yes my expectation would be French night.  That menu (or a version of it)  been the first formal night on pretty much every cruise we've been on.  I really look forward to the beef tenderloin.

However, Royal has revamped their protocol of which menu is served when.  I think I see that French and Royal nights are only on 6 night or longer cruises.

IMO, Mexican is the weakest menu followed by Caribbean night.  Shame they put BOTH of those on a 4 night cruise.

I don't think there's much wiggle room for a 4-night cruise as RCI is pretty rigid in their offerings.

The 2 nights (Royal Night - Lobster) and Bon Voyage Night are for longer cruises only.  So the only substitute would be French night.

Since this is a Mexico cruise to Ensenada, I think they felt it was more appropriate to have at least one Mexican theme night.

image.png.da009ea1eecc3ce190772fc81e152144.png

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Badatz2 said:

Sometimes, especially on day 1, there is a tech person on duty near Guest services or on an adjacent floor to help people setup and connect the App WIFI and with any other problems.  Just ask someone as you board where the internet assistance is.  On the Anthem I have seen people wearing an INTERNET ASSISTANCE vest roaming around to help people.

Thanks for the info.

It would make sense to have helpers on site on day 1 as not everyone is tech savvy and if they are forcing people to use their Apps only and not online booking, they need some hands-on helpers in case something isn't working.  

Guess I will keep an eye out for the Internet Assist vests and of course, take a picture.

The first picture of the day has a time stamp of 8:23 AM.  I opened the curtain to see a couple of neighbors across the way on deck 6 were awake already with their blinds opened.

20230809_082330.thumb.jpg.e0949c4934d2d37a9bae009c76ca8977.jpg

On Day 2, the ship dropped off a notice for the tender process in every cabin.  As Catalina is a tender-only port with a narrow shallow harbor, the passengers need to get a tender ticket number in order to go ashore.  The ship doesn’t want a HUGE line of a couple thousand people standing by the gangway to get off so they are breaking people into smaller groups to get off the ship.

Officially they were supposed to start passing out the tender tickets at 8:30 and only one member of the family needed to line up for the tickets to get for the whole family.  As we have been slow to wake up family members, it’s not surprising yours truly had to go to deck 5 MDR to get the tickets by myself.

20230809_083048.thumb.jpg.5e86f75cd5a7b9ff3c3758aa06b16fd9.jpg

The time stamp was 8:30 and there was already a line for the tickets even though they said they would be passing them out at 8:30, but in reality, they were doing it much earlier than that.  So if getting off the ship early is important to you if you have a private excursion booked, get to the dining room before 8:15 to ensure an early ticket.

Or if you are really anxious due to an early excursion booked and need to get off early, they will allow walk-ups to get off the ship between 8 to 8:30 before they start calling group numbers.

Anyway, I got group number 12 by the time I got the tickets.  Huh?  Assuming each group is 50 people or so, that’s like 600 people ahead of us in getting off the ship slightly before 8:30.  So if you want groups 1 to 5, get there early BEFORE the stated 8:30 time slot.

20230809_154020.thumb.jpg.8c686f8cdc8fa431ef362c6e8248ab8d.jpg

We were in no hurry so group 12 was fine as we had no excursions planned for this port.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

You will probably be amongst the last 10% of the diners leaving MDR nightly as nowadays RCI rushes you through things by asking you to pre-order your dessert so that saves at least 10 minutes of meal time in presenting you a dessert menu/gives you time to order/taking the time to write down the order/the wait staff dropping off the order.

By the time we were done around the 9:40 mark, the MDR was only 1/4 full.  So if you are enjoying a more leisurely dinner, you and your group will likely be amongst the last ones there.

I am always one of the first out.   I don't want to make an event out of a meal.  Let me eat and get on with the fun, whether a show, a bar, music, or casino!