Response from Princess to email re changes

rosevew

Guest Snaxmuppet
48 minutes ago, kevinyork said:

I understand there is now a $14.99 one off activation fee for using the OceanNow service or a $5 per order charge for tv/telephone room service orders. Both free on the new Plus and Premium packages m

I don't think it is "or".

I think it is if you use OceanNow then the first time you will be charged $14.99.

And

If you use room service by telephone then you will be charged $5 per use.

The way I understand it is that if you use OceanNow to get stuff delivered to your room then it is an OceanNow order so you will be charged the $14.99 for the first use of OceanNow but not charged a room service fee.

Is that what others believe it to be?

In other words... you can still use your OceanNow to order to your room... is that right?

44 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I think it is if you use OceanNow then the first time you will be charged $14.99.

And

The way I understand it is that if you use OceanNow to get stuff delivered to your room then it is an OceanNow order so you will be charged the $14.99 for the first use of OceanNow but not charged a room service fee.

In other words... you can still use your OceanNow to order to your room... is that right?

Yes.

46 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

And

yes, what I wanted to say but you put it perfectly

Just watched today's webinar. They clarified what already seemed obvious to me. Room service charges are only for phone orders and, if you have the "new" versions of Plus or Premier - paid $60 or $80 - there are no charges for phone orders. If you either have the $60 Plus or the $80 Premier there is no charge for Ocean Now delivery. If you don't have those and pay the one time $14.99 fee you can order to your room via the app with no additional charge.

Edit: Carmen Roig is the most boring and worthless presenter they have had to date. Even the TA comments are about how worthless she is and how they wish she would get to the point and stop her pointless babbling. Makes John Chernesky seem fabulous in comparison.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Just watched today's webinar. They clarified what already seemed obvious to me. Room service charges are only for phone orders and, if you have the "new" versions of Plus or Premier - paid $60 or $80 - there are no charges for phone orders. If you either have the $60 Plus or the $80 Premier there is no charge for Ocean Now delivery. If you don't have those and pay the one time $14.99 fee you can order to your room via the app with no additional charge.

Thanks for that. They do like to make it complicated don’t they?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Crystaltipps67 said:

Where did you find this PDF? I can't find it on the website but may not be looking in the right place. It's really interesting to see that they have already changed the language for the casual dining from 'prix fixe menu' to 'cover charge'. Very different things!

I attached the link, but you can find it by going to “on board our ships” then “food and dining” scroll to the bottom and choose “dining venues details and hours”.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, t&atravel said:

Food and dining PDF on Princess.com.  Seems ocean now incurs the room service charge too.

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/food-and-dining/dining-options.pdf

IMG_1020.png

@Thrak looks like $14.99 AND $5 for deliveries when ordering with OceanNow.

Screenshot 2023-08-24 12.21.27 PM.png

Edited by startedwithamouse

6 hours ago, suzyed said:

As I mentioned above many people have brought this to the attention of corporate but I think many MORE should do so.  The more they hear from may help them change their response

A question. If your behavior remains exactly the same as with past cruises. What exactly would be the financial impact of this change on the cruise you have booked within the 90 day window?

For us it is $42 per person for our 14 day cruise in October if we do exactly what we have done in the past. Basically $3 per day.

59 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Edit: Carmen Roig is the most boring and worthless presenter they have had to date. Even the TA comments are about how worthless she is and how they wish she would get to the point and stop her pointless babbling. Makes John Chernesky seem fabulous in comparison.

did they mention anything about calling room service to exchange your Elite mini bar

• Like 1

I am not a Princess Cheerleader. I'm providing this information as FYI to compare Cruise Lines 

increasing costs to recover losses during Covid 19. I have the link to the article if interested and 

may post it on here, if allowed. 

I am posting this as it maybe of interest to many, not all, who cruise Princess and other lines.

If you are interested in comparing costs, read further. If not, just move to the next posting.

• Playmakers: Entrees increased 33% to $11.99 from $9 while the price of wings went up 40% to $13.99 a dozen from $10. Appetizer prices were all raised by at least $1.99 while the Poke Nachos saw a $4.99, or 63%, increase to $12.99 from $8.
  • Portside Barbecue: A restaurant unique to Oasis of the Seas, Portside Barbecue, raised prices across the board as well. "The Signature combo went from 2 cuts for $12.49 and 3 cuts for $15.39 to $16.99 and $21.99, respectively," Royal Caribbean Blog reported. Those increases are 36% and 43%. "The Pitmaster Special price was changed from $9.99 to $14.99." That's up 50%. Prices were also raised on single cuts, sides, and desserts.

These are just two examples from another line to show that many lines are increasing food costs. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, t&atravel said:

Food and dining PDF on Princess.com.  Seems ocean now incurs the room service charge too.

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/food-and-dining/dining-options.pdf

IMG_1020.png

2 hours ago, ldtr said:

That certainly seems to indicate that.

Small print on page further down:

image.png.e9ea62e125eb453ec5926f18672d99d4.png

2 hours ago, Crystaltipps67 said:

Where did you find this PDF? I can't find it on the website but may not be looking in the right place. It's really interesting to see that they have already changed the language for the casual dining from 'prix fixe menu' to 'cover charge'. Very different things!

I agree:  prix fixe and cover charge are quite different things.  But it does also indicate a la carte.  SD has a cover charge per person and no a la carte.

Once again, Princess causes confusion with that poorly constructed section on the Ocean Now activation fee.  Perhaps Carmen Roig is writing this stuff - or at least approving it.

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

A question. If your behavior remains exactly the same as with past cruises. What exactly would be the financial impact of this change on the cruise you have booked within the 90 day window?

For us it is $42 per person for our 14 day cruise in October if we do exactly what we have done in the past. Basically $3 per day.

I'm not within final payment but I'll play along 😄

Ours would be $44.98 on a 7-day cruise (assuming three $5 room service orders, and $14.99pp for a visit to Alfredo's). $6.43 per day, or roughly 3% of my total fare. We booked standard fare. These are items I have previously partook, but probably will not pay extra for. Didn't account for the $14.99 ON fee because I don't think we would have used that feature even if it was free.

And yes, I'm annoyed (not angry, outraged, or any of the other over the top words I've seen on the boards) about it and have voiced my disappointment to the appropriate parties--but will still go on my cruise, NOT spend the extra $44.98, and have a fantastic time!

55 minutes ago, coo359a2 said:

did they mention anything about calling room service to exchange your Elite mini bar

27 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

or Afternoon tea in stateroom delivery?

These were previously clarified as NO charge because they are Elite benefits.  If not mentioned today, I wouldn't see a change to that (I have not had chance to see seminar yet and I don't even know about Medallions to Canada yet).

Edited by Steelers36
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

That's not the point. They sold on thing and are delivery another.  Not because there was a problem, not because they can provide enough pizza or tapas pr whatever.  It's just because they can.

4 hours ago, Tedferg said:

It just occurs to me, what would they do if one person has Plus and orders a pizza and the other person doesn't have Plus. 

ETA that would be like the Plus passenger sharing a drink.

This is a good point.  Obviously meaning friends or family from different cabins, or a 3rd or 4th person (child) in the cabin with no package.

But look at the case of two guests on Standard fare dining.  We are typical of many posting here in that we share at casual dining.  We might share an App, a Pizza and no dessert.  Sharing seems to be a no-brainer if ordering a la carte.  But what if one person orders the Prix Fixe (now called a Cover Charge in an update Princess.com PDF, but not likely such on the menus).  Does that mean the other guest is also required to be tapped for a Cover Charge?  How will wait staff keep track and enforce which guest(s)/tables can share or not share?  You could have a mix of types at a larger table with a group of friends meeting for lunch.  

We will just adjust and do whatever works without stirring the pot and not worry about a couple of dollars one way or the other (Standard bookings here).

1 hour ago, suzyed said:

That's not the point. They sold on thing and are delivery another.  Not because there was a problem, not because they can provide enough pizza or tapas pr whatever.  It's just because they can.

Actually it is exactly the point. Let's say that you could sue Princess for damages. The first question that would be asked is what are the actual damages. In my case it would be $42 dollars per person.

As Princess put it the change under consumer protection laws is considered to be not significant to the purchase of the cruise, same as with the RCCl prince increases.

14 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Actually it is exactly the point. Let's say that you could sue Princess for damages. The first question that would be asked is what are the actual damages. In my case it would be $42 dollars per person.

As Princess put it the change under consumer protection laws is considered to be not significant to the purchase of the cruise, same as with the RCCl prince increases.

For us, to get ourselves in the position we were in before the changes (unlimited Alfredo's), we would have to take the premier package at a cost of $960. That is significant.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, no1racefan1 said:

I'm not within final payment but I'll play along 😄

Ours would be $44.98 on a 7-day cruise (assuming three $5 room service orders, and $14.99pp for a visit to Alfredo's). $6.43 per day, or roughly 3% of my total fare. We booked standard fare. These are items I have previously partook, but probably will not pay extra for. Didn't account for the $14.99 ON fee because I don't think we would have used that feature even if it was free.

And yes, I'm annoyed (not angry, outraged, or any of the other over the top words I've seen on the boards) about it and have voiced my disappointment to the appropriate parties--but will still go on my cruise, NOT spend the extra $44.98, and have a fantastic time!

What I intend to do one my cruise within 90 day is to ask for the amount I am impacted by the change at customer service.  May or may not get any obc but I figure I have a far better chance then telling them I want to be grandfathered.

Edited by ldtr

1 hour ago, rosevew said:

For us, to get ourselves in the position we were in before the changes (unlimited Alfredo's), we would have to take the premier package at a cost of $960. That is significant.

Good luck with that. Your chance of getting a favorable response to that request is slim to  none.

Edited by ldtr