Response from Princess to email re changes

rosevew

5 hours ago, suzyed said:

For me, it is ALL about the principle.   They sold one thing and are delivering another....period.

It is not going to affect my vacation in the least (we have tons of OBC) but is going to affect which cruise line I will choose going forward.

2 minutes ago, suzyed said:

Following Princess' lead.
Such distain for their loyal customers.

New normal in cruising...Don't expect to get what you paid for.  Cruise lines will arbitrarily change included amenities and/or start charging for them.  An arbitrary date will be chosen and grandfathering existing reservations won't happen.  Maybe cruising won't be for you in the future.

5 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

But you seem to suggest in several posts that there (at least) could be a charge for Elite Afternoon Tea if guest doesn't have a package that covers RS $5 fees.  There is no delivery charge for Elite benefits no matter what package guest has.

Ok... i didn't suggest....was just wondering after someone else asked about it.  What I did say was there wouldn't be a fee for sure if they had a package.

Edited by suzyed

11 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

New normal in cruising...Don't expect to get what you paid for.  Cruise lines will arbitrarily change included amenities and/or start charging for them.  An arbitrary date will be chosen and grandfathering existing reservations won't happen.  Maybe cruising won't be for you in the future.

Maybe not....but I don't accept the fact that I won't get what I paid for.

I just wonder....what if they decided to charge for all the items in the IC or Horizon after we booked and made final payment.  Would we all just say "oh well they can do what they want."  Ho hum.  Nothing to see here?

Just now, suzyed said:

Maybe not....but I don't accept the fact that I won't get what I paid for.

I just wonder....what if they decided to charge for all the items in the IC or Horizon after we booked and made final payment.  Would we all just say "oh well they can do what they want."  Ho hum.  Nothing to see here?

Too extreme of an example.  Won’t say it will never happen, but a extreme change like that would for sure ruffle a lot of feathers.  

As has been said before, all the major cruise lines have engaged in this practice.  Some a lot sooner than others.  I remember when RCCL became the first major cruise line to start charging for room service in 2017.  Lots of upset passengers, but the storm has passed, ships are still full, and they are continuing to cutback and raise prices of fares and amenities.

You may not accept it, but the changes are happening.  Take it or leave it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SCX22 said:

Too extreme of an example.  Won’t say it will never happen, but a extreme change like that would for sure ruffle a lot of feathers.  

As has been said before, all the major cruise lines have engaged in this practice.  Some a lot sooner than others.  I remember when RCCL became the first major cruise line to start charging for room service in 2017.  Lots of upset passengers, but the storm has passed, ships are still full, and they are continuing to cutback and raise prices of fares and amenities.

You may not accept it, but the changes are happening.  Take it or leave it.

ok...so I guess it is a numbers game.  If it doesn't affect everyone it's ok.

As far as RCCL, we're Diamond on them but we haven't sailed on them in years and years because of the increasing fare prices.   We want the most bang for our buck and really great itineraries, which is why we have been sailing with Princess.
Everyone has their priorities...mine are different than yours.
I guess we will just have agree to disagree..

Edited by suzyed

We are in Alfredo’s last night and it was relatively busy.  There are two price points for alacarte pizza, $8.00 for your basics and $12.50 for specialty.   Shared pizza and salad, $17.50.   Server reinforced there is no sharing of the fixed price items.

I have included photos of the menus, sorry not the greatest quality.

IMG_1783.jpeg

IMG_1784.jpeg

IMG_1782.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

18 hours ago, teenieleek said:

A suggestion:  swap your old premier for the new plus.  Not sure about the cost differential but that way you would get the new “stuff”, room service, ocean now etc.  Oh and of course these children’s party type desserts! 

Thanks for that suggestion. I'll give it some thought but I don't feel confident in Princess' ability to cope with me changing the old existing package to a different sort of package. Having the old premier package versus the new premier package will be confusing enough for them I imagine (and for me - new to Princess and trying to remember all the 'special names' for their systems etc and what comes with what).

7 hours ago, SCX22 said:

I remember when RCCL became the first major cruise line to start charging for room service in 2017.

NCL actually implemented the Room Service charge in 2015.  I was reading NCL boards then as I had a Getaway cruise booked.

Here’s an external article I found with the 2015 date

https://www.theluxurycruisereview.com/ncl-room-service-charge-defended/

edit found CC post from 2015

Edited by ocean sounds
Add

2 hours ago, kiwimum said:

We are in Alfredo’s last night and it was relatively busy.  There are two price points for alacarte pizza, $8.00 for your basics and $12.50 for specialty.   Shared pizza and salad, $17.50.   Server reinforced there is no sharing of the fixed price items.

You mixed up a couple of numbers.  For a minute there I was beginning to wonder if pricing was going to vary by ship.  But, no.  Menu photo confirms pizza a la carte is $8.50 and the specialty ones are $12. 🙂

I do think it will be a challenge for them to figure out enforcing no sharing in some circumstaces.  Of course anything a la carte is shareable.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

How exactly do they enforce one of you ordering a pizza and both eating it?

That is NP because it is a la carte.  The only issue is if a guest orders a prix fixe option, that service cannot be shared.  Now, there is an "or else" to that as a waiter is not going to swoop in and take food from hand, but what will that be?  Assess another prix fixe charge?

This entire issue could go away for both Princess and guests if they simply changed the benefit policy to  TWO VISITS TO CASUAL DINING WITH A MAXIMUM SPEND OF $15 PER VISIT.

Anything spent under the $15 is "lost" as a visit meal was completed.  Any bill over $15 means guest is charged the difference plus 18% gratuity.

Very simple.  Works like the drinks plan, so consistent policy-wise.  No weird rules to decipher and nothing to enforce and create awkward situations.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

You mixed up a couple of numbers.  For a minute there I was beginning to wonder if pricing was going to vary by ship.  But, no.  Menu photo confirms pizza a la carte is $8.50 and the specialty ones are $12. 🙂

I do think it will be a challenge for them to figure out enforcing no sharing in some circumstaces.  Of course anything a la carte is shareable.

Sorry, thanks for correcting.

11 hours ago, kiwimum said:

IMG_1783.jpeg

IMG_1784.jpeg

IMG_1782.jpeg

So $8.50 and $12. 

@Steelers36 looks like we BOTH are correct. lol

11 hours ago, kiwimum said:

IMG_1783.jpeg

IMG_1784.jpeg

IMG_1782.jpeg

@CruizinSusan70 See above. Here's another confirmation of no sharing. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 2:17 PM, Steelers36 said:

My apologies.  The page had changed and I forgot you weren't the original person when you asked me why I disbelieved a 3rd party website not affiliated with Princess.  I corrected my post and will adjust the other one. 

Sorry, but I don't see it as harassing.  I was asking the poster if the menus were from an actual ship because they looked a lot like screenshots from the draft PDF menus.  They never responded to that until finally indicating they came from an unofficial source. 

I was well aware of reports from ships on the pizza and it was all in effort to make sure we have the most accurate and up-to-date info in posts.  There is often rumor, conjecture and misinformation that gets people upset and so forth.  Just wanted to make sure the info was either incorrect or correct.  No point in having people think pizza's are $12 when they are $8.50.

On 8/23/2023 at 2:10 PM, Steelers36 said:

I know.  But @startedwithamouse seems to want to believe some non-Princess website and not actual evidence from a Princess ship!  Mind boggling.  Thanks for posting.

Did you see we are both correct?  

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, cheetosrevil said:

Don Terris reported today that one of the Celebrity ships is charging $2 per cookie plus 18% gratuity! Testing the waters apparently.

That's a 20% gratuity or $2.40 per chocolate chip cookie.  Hopefully it goes over with a thud.  We're just worried about the almond and chocolate croissants.